overall

RATINGS: 377   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Brewed with madras curry, caynne pepper, cumin, toasted coconut, and kaffir lime leaf, Indra Kunindra is a 9% ABV stout brewed in collaboration with homebrewer Alex Tweet. It was brewed for Holiday Wine Cellarís 46th Anniversary Homebrewers Competition. First batch at 9%, others at 7%.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
OPIE788 (337) - Ohio, USA - MAR 2, 2014
Draft. Black with a weak light tan head. Sweet, coffee wood aroma. Slight wood, coffee and a spicy finish. The spice lasts for a while.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
malrubius (1860) - Springfield, Vermont, USA - MAR 1, 2014
UPDATED: MAR 2, 2014 Bottle from Save On. Black with fluffy tan head that dissipates quickly into ring and lace. Chocolate spiced espresso cayenne curry and woody aroma. Coffee chocolate curry spice vanilla with spicy lingering throat burn. Medium full body. My throat is burning. Reminds me why I so rarely purchase crazy flavored beers. Ultimately a $9 drain pour.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Cybercat (3504) - Georgia, USA - FEB 27, 2014
Pours a rich, warm sable with a rather thick and somewhat persistent light tan head. Aroma has a roast malt core that supports coconut, curry, and a hint of coffee. Flavor has typical roast malt of a stout, with a strong coconut note and a firm pepper bite that is a bit much for a beer but not unbearable - at least they didnít pepper it to death. Still, this is a beer to be sipped slowly, preferably with a meal. Texture is firm but not too fizzy, and pepper is a mite strong in the finish. I like curry, but on my plate rather than in my beer; nevertheless, this is a worthwhile effort.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
pfc514 (68) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - FEB 26, 2014
Pours completely black with a light beige head in a snifter. Really interesting aroma with curry being dominant. Invokes a curiosity as to what the taste is gonna be like. Curry is really dominant in the flavor. Gives a spice to the beer and coconut follows through as well. Spicy and unique, yet not bad. One could look at these flavors and think this beer would taste awful, yet this is not the case. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Not outstanding, but above average. I wouldnít drink this beer all the time, but Iím shocked they made all these flavors a drinkable beer..and itís considerably way more than just drinkable. Unique, balanced, and tasty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Hopman1 (32) - apple valley, California, USA - FEB 22, 2014
Awesome!!! This brew is something way out of the spectrum of beers for me, I have never tasted a beer so original distinct and totally creative. In this beer there is so much going on my taste buds are going crazy. I will make this clear ďYou must like Indian spices". This brew is dark root beer brown with no head or foam once poured. Looking at the bottom of my glass yellow sediment gathered at the base, looks like gold dust. The nose is amazing notes of pepper, black cardamom, red pepper, cumin, Indian bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, Ginger. The Flavor of India in a glass truly amazing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
xBEERxNOLA (72) - - FEB 22, 2014
Appearance - dark pour but not totally black. Mild head. Aroma - brighter than expected. Slightly sweet. When it warms I get a huge hit of curry. Mouth - medium carb. Taste - whoa different. Hints of curry at the finish if you are looking for it. Don't detect much pepper. Overall - just weird. Not sure how I feel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
nearbeer (3845) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 18, 2014
650 ml. Pours chocolate with a head that mostly sizzles away. Nose is chocolate, cumin, espresso, pepper, coconut and cinnamon. Taste is vanilla, chocolate toffee, some coconut, and lots of cumin and pepper. Maybe some other spices that get mostly lost in the cumin and pepper. Medium body is too fizzy, but has a nice balance of the malty sweetness, roast and spices.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerfest5 (1163) - Dublin, IRELAND - FEB 10, 2014
Iím sure that my palate was not ready for something like this. When I purchased the bottle I thought this was going to be something like a big rich stout combined with a little Indian pepper or something. This was more like a curry dinner with a little stout added in. Extremely interesting, I applaud Ballast Point for thinking outside of the box clearly, but enjoyable in truth, no.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
mikesaum (596) - Newark, Ohio, USA - FEB 9, 2014
Pours dark dark brown with a khaki head. Aroma is..... Iím not really sure, i just know its not that appealing, a very odd aroma. Taste is better, slightly roasty, vegetal, herbal, tingly heat on the tongue and in the back of the throat. Not horrible, its interesting but its just not my cup of tea, plus the aroma was off putting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Huhzubendah (2660) - Washington DC, USA - FEB 6, 2014
On draft at Ballast Point in Little Italy. The beer is black with a thin beige cap. The aroma brings chocolate, hot pepper, spice. Some dark chocolate with oranges and citrusy spice. Heat gains strength and intensity as I make my way through the beer. Cayenne pepper and spicy heat lingers amid dark chocolate. Not too heavy. This beer achieves its intended purpose, and for that, I will give credit. However, I donít see myself returning to this one, as I donít find pleasure in the combination of beer and spicy heat.