overall

RATINGS: 363   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Brewed with madras curry, caynne pepper, cumin, toasted coconut, and kaffir lime leaf, Indra Kunindra is a 9% ABV stout brewed in collaboration with homebrewer Alex Tweet. It was brewed for Holiday Wine Cellarís 46th Anniversary Homebrewers Competition. First batch at 9%, others at 7%.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
jcr (2210) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - DEC 2, 2012
Draft. Deep brown body with a fizzy, beige head, rapidly diminishing. Aroma of chocolate, spices, cumin, coconut, lime, pepper. The flavor is moderately sweet and lightly bitter. The finish is peppery hot. Medium body, creamy texture, soft carbonation. Hereís how it goes with this beer. For the first second itís in your mouth, you get a wash of flavors that work really well together: chocolate, curry coconut, roasted malts, spice. Then, bam, the cayenne pepper washes away all of that, its heat lingering long into the finish. The server said the difference in this pepper beer was that you could drink a lot of it. I disagree. I was tired of it three-quarters of the way through. Itís unique, for sure. I was prepared after the first few ounces to give it a big rating. But I changed my mind as I walked away from it after 5 ounces to order a different beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
dcschiller (2207) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - OCT 14, 2011
(22oz bottle from HWC). Pours dark brown with thin khaki head. Has a nice garnet hue to it as well. After having just come out of the fridge, the first thing to hit the senses is the curry and sweet coconut. The taste is semi-sweet with lots of savory notes and roast. There is also some vegetal bitterness that Iím guessing is from the lime leaf and cayenne. Medium bodied with a slick texture. Finish is warming from the alcohol and cayenne. The cayenne burn is quite nice unless you are a wuss that doesnít eat spicy food. The beer has loads of flavors going on, but they arenít as overpowering as I thought they might be. This is not the spice profile that my wife (who is Indian) cooks with since she blends her own masala. Otherwise, this might be the perfect exotic beer. Really cool beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jow (2175) - New York, USA - FEB 5, 2013
Good lord what a crazy brew. I ordered not knowing what it was. It took me awhile before I figured out it was curry and the all I could think of was this Thai Green Curry dish I always order for take out. In fact if I get drunk and then by mistake spill whatever stout im drinking into my food and then instead of discarding slurp up juices then that is this beer. really interesting and fun, slick finish with heat hitting hard in after taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
maekchu (2160) - Hirakata, JAPAN - DEC 24, 2012
Bomber. Thanks to mike12da. Coconut, airplane glue, sweet curry nose. Big ass cayenne pepper kick right away; mid palate gets even hotter. All the ingredient flavors are apparent at different moments (curry, cayenne, cumin, lime) and blend in interesting ways with the chocolate base. The cayenne, however, stays in the forefront all throughout. Fun, novel stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
bitbucket (2159) - Kirkland, Washington, USA - NOV 10, 2013
Iím not picking up all the intricacies of the caynne pepper, cumin, toasted coconut, and kaffir lime leaf, but the curry is definitely front and center.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - MAR 9, 2012
Dark reddish black hue good head formation. Well spiced aroma, coconut particularly noticeable. Dryish chocolate palate with moderate alcohol warmth and coconut and spice providing some sweetness. Coconut is what really stands out along with some lime and a mild blend of chutney. Definitely different.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
SDalkoholic (2146) - Linda Vista, California, USA - JAN 13, 2012
Bottle from the Ballast Point Brewery in Linda Vista: Created a thick fluffy topping of foam head while the opaque liquid was a dark black color. In the aroma, my nose is instantly gratified with a sweet scent of coconut, banana, whip cream, and other spicing that somehow comes across as smelling like children sun tan lotion. My initial taste of this beer is black licorice, but the flavors doesnít stop there and goes on to give a tropical almost Caribbean taste with the fruity flavors of coconut, pineapple, banana, and a taste of lime zest. There is also a background of heavy dosages of spices that linger in the palate and throat after each gulp that obviously demonstrates the Indian influence on this stout with the addition of curry spices, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Iím so glad I was able to grab a few bottles from the brewery and I commend Ballast Point for picking up on this home brew recipe by Alex Tweet. Although, as I continue to finish my 22 oz bottle, I do notice that this might trigger a headache for me. None the less, nice job guys.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
StefanSD (2138) - Lakeside, California, USA - APR 4, 2012
Pint glass at Toronado. Dark brown pour with a small beige head that had poor retention. The aroma is quite pungent with toffee, cloves and coconut--smells like an incense stick. The taste was similar to the nose, lots of cloves with other complex curry spices swirling about, can definitely pick out some cayenne. The malt bast is full and silky smooth with lively carbonation. Finishes long and disturbing. I really didnít care for this, its a bit to Frankenstein-like, I felt I was drinking liquefied incense. I do applaud the bold experimentation, but this is just not for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
boxofrane (2127) - Spring City, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 27, 2012
Bottle at craft ale house. Pours pitch black with no head to speak of. The aroma Is almost barrel aged but has cumin notes. The taste is spicy with a vanilla, coconut oak sweetness. Unique.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
jcnielsen (2125) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - SEP 9, 2013
Bottle picked up in Charlotte. Pours a black color with tan head. Curry, spicy pepper along with roasty malt aromas. Curry, coconut, spicy flavors. Really cool flavor profile, and fun to try, but not a beer I could drink a lot of.