overall

RATINGS: 358   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Brewed with madras curry, caynne pepper, cumin, toasted coconut, and kaffir lime leaf, Indra Kunindra is a 9% ABV stout brewed in collaboration with homebrewer Alex Tweet. It was brewed for Holiday Wine Cellar’s 46th Anniversary Homebrewers Competition. First batch at 9%, others at 7%.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - MAR 9, 2012
Dark reddish black hue good head formation. Well spiced aroma, coconut particularly noticeable. Dryish chocolate palate with moderate alcohol warmth and coconut and spice providing some sweetness. Coconut is what really stands out along with some lime and a mild blend of chutney. Definitely different.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jow (2154) - New York, USA - FEB 5, 2013
Good lord what a crazy brew. I ordered not knowing what it was. It took me awhile before I figured out it was curry and the all I could think of was this Thai Green Curry dish I always order for take out. In fact if I get drunk and then by mistake spill whatever stout im drinking into my food and then instead of discarding slurp up juices then that is this beer. really interesting and fun, slick finish with heat hitting hard in after taste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
SDalkoholic (2146) - Linda Vista, California, USA - JAN 13, 2012
Bottle from the Ballast Point Brewery in Linda Vista: Created a thick fluffy topping of foam head while the opaque liquid was a dark black color. In the aroma, my nose is instantly gratified with a sweet scent of coconut, banana, whip cream, and other spicing that somehow comes across as smelling like children sun tan lotion. My initial taste of this beer is black licorice, but the flavors doesn’t stop there and goes on to give a tropical almost Caribbean taste with the fruity flavors of coconut, pineapple, banana, and a taste of lime zest. There is also a background of heavy dosages of spices that linger in the palate and throat after each gulp that obviously demonstrates the Indian influence on this stout with the addition of curry spices, cumin, and cayenne pepper. I’m so glad I was able to grab a few bottles from the brewery and I commend Ballast Point for picking up on this home brew recipe by Alex Tweet. Although, as I continue to finish my 22 oz bottle, I do notice that this might trigger a headache for me. None the less, nice job guys.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
StefanSD (2131) - Lakeside, California, USA - APR 4, 2012
Pint glass at Toronado. Dark brown pour with a small beige head that had poor retention. The aroma is quite pungent with toffee, cloves and coconut--smells like an incense stick. The taste was similar to the nose, lots of cloves with other complex curry spices swirling about, can definitely pick out some cayenne. The malt bast is full and silky smooth with lively carbonation. Finishes long and disturbing. I really didn’t care for this, its a bit to Frankenstein-like, I felt I was drinking liquefied incense. I do applaud the bold experimentation, but this is just not for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
maekchu (2127) - Hirakata, JAPAN - DEC 24, 2012
Bomber. Thanks to mike12da. Coconut, airplane glue, sweet curry nose. Big ass cayenne pepper kick right away; mid palate gets even hotter. All the ingredient flavors are apparent at different moments (curry, cayenne, cumin, lime) and blend in interesting ways with the chocolate base. The cayenne, however, stays in the forefront all throughout. Fun, novel stuff.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
boxofrane (2111) - Spring City, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 27, 2012
Bottle at craft ale house. Pours pitch black with no head to speak of. The aroma Is almost barrel aged but has cumin notes. The taste is spicy with a vanilla, coconut oak sweetness. Unique.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
jcnielsen (2100) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - SEP 9, 2013
Bottle picked up in Charlotte. Pours a black color with tan head. Curry, spicy pepper along with roasty malt aromas. Curry, coconut, spicy flavors. Really cool flavor profile, and fun to try, but not a beer I could drink a lot of.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Ed5388 (2089) - Forked River, New Jersey, USA - OCT 24, 2013
22oz bottle. Drank during Pliny clone brew day @ Bob F.'s house. Pours black with a finger of creamy tan head. Aroma of roasted malt, big cumin notes, cayenne pepper, and hints of coconut. Taste is earthy, with roasted malt, cocoa powder, cumin, and a spicy cayenne pepper burn in the finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
ross (2088) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - MAR 15, 2014
Draft. Jesus what did i order? Tastes like cumin, hot peppers and limes. Its very odd, pretty spicy beer. Black color, tan head, no alcohol noted... But how could anything be noted with the large amount of spices. This reminded me of indian food, which i like. The difference is indian food is food, not beer. Pretty disgusting really. I grow habaneros, and the spice on this was offending. Not good,

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
XmnwildX12 (2078) - Farmington, Minnesota, USA - NOV 21, 2012
Big time coffee, chocolate, ginger and a bit of other spice. Taste is similar, but has a big scratchy burn that is a bit tough. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone