overall

RATINGS: 528   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Brewed with madras curry, caynne pepper, cumin, toasted coconut, and kaffir lime leaf, Indra Kunindra is a 9% ABV stout brewed in collaboration with homebrewer Alex Tweet. It was brewed for Holiday Wine Cellar’s 46th Anniversary Homebrewers Competition. First batch at 9%, others at 7%.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Huhzubendah (3342) - Washington DC, USA - FEB 6, 2014
On draft at Ballast Point in Little Italy. The beer is black with a thin beige cap. The aroma brings chocolate, hot pepper, spice. Some dark chocolate with oranges and citrusy spice. Heat gains strength and intensity as I make my way through the beer. Cayenne pepper and spicy heat lingers amid dark chocolate. Not too heavy. This beer achieves its intended purpose, and for that, I will give credit. However, I don’t see myself returning to this one, as I don’t find pleasure in the combination of beer and spicy heat.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Elwood (3336) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - SEP 14, 2014
Serving: 22 oz. bottle. It pours dark brown with a thick and resliliant tan head. The nose smells like a mix of roasted malt and coconut curry. The flavor highlights the curry from start to finish. Light bits of coconut, a roasted malt, lactose sweetness, and a very light spicy warmness. Medium to full body with a lingering curry finish. Interesting and well brewed, but not one I want more than a half a pint of.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jrob21 (3335) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - MAR 6, 2014
Bomber. Relatively new addition to the Georgia scene. It is starting to look like San Diego every time I walk into the beer store now. Not too bad. This is definitely spice with the cayenne pepper dominating most everything. Not a bad thing, just why’d you add all that curry and everything else in there. I take that back. You get some curry and more coconut in the aroma. The stout gives this is a nice base beer to bounce off all these spices. A one time thing for me on this one but it is an interesting drink.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
SrSilliGose (3327) - pouring bus, New Brunswick, CANADA - NOV 9, 2012
tap at alewife baltimore. spicy curry comes across as ancho chili peppers, coconut is clean and potent. pleasant milk chocolate backing. a bit too spicy for large doses. interesting in smaller quantities.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
beastiefan2k (3282) - Emerald City (formely NYC & KS), Washington, USA - JAN 22, 2013
Damn what an interesting beer or at least a novel beer. I have wanted to try this for a while and I so wanted to share this with the beer geeks back in KS but checked baggage costs are so high. Either way, pours like a regular stout and good god all mighty the nose hits you like an Indian rock. Damnnnnnn, someone get me a mango lassi to go along with this beer. Its strong and I like Indian food but I do not loooooveeee Indian food, so its a bit of a conundrum. Flavor is better, more subdued, get some stout and strong but not hella (as the kids say) strong curry. Heat, the heat between me and this beer. its not the pepper ale type heat, its a small but constant heat that comes in waves and burns the top of your intestines, I love it. Cool beer. Bottle is filter clean after the last pour. This one is with you in mind Eric.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
drjay44 (3274) - Salida, Colorado, USA - JAN 7, 2015
651 ml. bottle. Pours a medium, well retained, light beige head, over a clear, dark brown (SRM 35) body......nose is curry, hints of chocolate, light toffee/caramel, cumin, heavy floral notes, balance to the spices.....taste is slightly cocoanut sweet, curry, heavy cayenne heat, hints of roasted malts with chocolate, coffee notes, mild herbal hops, balance to the spices.....mouth feel, medium body, slightly sticky, mild alcohol, low carbonation. This is very different beer. It is spice dominated, to the extent that the underlying malts and hops are almost absent. It is too over the top. My own preference with additives is that they be subtle not utterly overwhelming. The score reflects the quality of the brewer, not my enjoyment of the confection. BJCP 7/3/10/4/5

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
maekchu (3267) - Hirakata, JAPAN - DEC 24, 2012
Bomber. Thanks to mike12da. Coconut, airplane glue, sweet curry nose. Big ass cayenne pepper kick right away; mid palate gets even hotter. All the ingredient flavors are apparent at different moments (curry, cayenne, cumin, lime) and blend in interesting ways with the chocolate base. The cayenne, however, stays in the forefront all throughout. Fun, novel stuff.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
50belair (3255) - Florida, USA - DEC 7, 2011
Bottle. Pitch black pour with a white head. Smells like Tai curry. Earthy roasted malts, nuts, and spices. Wild and wacky...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Reynolds314 (3238) - Connecticut, USA - FEB 16, 2012
This is a strange beer. Im glad I got to try it but it is very strange. Aroma is coconut curry to the extreme with notes of lime citrus. Taste is more of the same. Really has very few "beer" flavors as all I tend to get is coconut curry and lime on aroma and taste. Worth a try if you love indian food.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jow (3237) - New York, USA - FEB 5, 2013
Good lord what a crazy brew. I ordered not knowing what it was. It took me awhile before I figured out it was curry and the all I could think of was this Thai Green Curry dish I always order for take out. In fact if I get drunk and then by mistake spill whatever stout im drinking into my food and then instead of discarding slurp up juices then that is this beer. really interesting and fun, slick finish with heat hitting hard in after taste.