overall

RATINGS: 547   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Brewed with madras curry, caynne pepper, cumin, toasted coconut, and kaffir lime leaf, Indra Kunindra is a 9% ABV stout brewed in collaboration with homebrewer Alex Tweet. It was brewed for Holiday Wine Cellar’s 46th Anniversary Homebrewers Competition. First batch at 9%, others at 7%.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MrTipple (3586) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - OCT 17, 2014
Aroma: curry, some coconut. Appearance: dark, hazy brown, small, beige, frothy head. Taste: medium sweet. Palate: intense spices curry dominating, peppery notes. Overall: very interesting spiced Stout. Pint at Ballast Point Brewery, San Diego.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
beastiefan2k (3547) - HdG (past: NYC, KS, Rain City), Maryland, USA - JAN 22, 2013
Damn what an interesting beer or at least a novel beer. I have wanted to try this for a while and I so wanted to share this with the beer geeks back in KS but checked baggage costs are so high. Either way, pours like a regular stout and good god all mighty the nose hits you like an Indian rock. Damnnnnnn, someone get me a mango lassi to go along with this beer. Its strong and I like Indian food but I do not loooooveeee Indian food, so its a bit of a conundrum. Flavor is better, more subdued, get some stout and strong but not hella (as the kids say) strong curry. Heat, the heat between me and this beer. its not the pepper ale type heat, its a small but constant heat that comes in waves and burns the top of your intestines, I love it. Cool beer. Bottle is filter clean after the last pour. This one is with you in mind Eric.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Brigadier (3535) - Chagrin Falls, Ohio, USA - JAN 10, 2012
650 ml bottle
An excellent West Coast hop bomb this is just the sort of release to keep one inspired to keep searching out new beers. It is always nice to take a break from chasing whales to sample some more accessible regional releases - especially when it comes from Santa. I think I may have to acquire a couple more Ballast Point offerings once the cellar thins out.

Aroma / Appearance - Inky fluid and black this is what a stout should look like. A dirty beige head is on the mark; looking like a piece of pie crust it provides a good contrast. Black licorice, malt, and woody hops effortlessly mix into a pleasing aroma.

Flavor / Palate - Black coffee, wood polish, and carbonation sparkle in sip after sip. A moist bitter aftertaste rubs on the back of the throat. Not too abrasive, it invites more reflection until the spiciness takes over. A rather strange creature it is nonetheless one that I wouldn’t mind trying again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
alobar (3532) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 28, 2016
Cola brown pour with aroma of cumin, pepper, and some coconut. Very spicy flavor with lots of curry on the tongue. A bit too spicy for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
culchiem (3509) - Berlin, GERMANY - NOV 7, 2015
Bottle from LRS. Brownish black with a medium head. Aroma is spice and chocolate. Taste is like an Indian meal in a glass, cumin, coconut, lime.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
maneliquor (3483) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - MAY 27, 2014
Tap at Young & Jackson’s. Probably one of the weirdest stouts I have ever had but i absolutely loved this. Smells exactly like a curry, all the right elements are there - coconut, lime, spice, coriander, meatiness, cumin. Crazy good. I drank a pint of this, so that means it must be tasty

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Huhzubendah (3477) - Washington DC, USA - FEB 6, 2014
On draft at Ballast Point in Little Italy. The beer is black with a thin beige cap. The aroma brings chocolate, hot pepper, spice. Some dark chocolate with oranges and citrusy spice. Heat gains strength and intensity as I make my way through the beer. Cayenne pepper and spicy heat lingers amid dark chocolate. Not too heavy. This beer achieves its intended purpose, and for that, I will give credit. However, I don’t see myself returning to this one, as I don’t find pleasure in the combination of beer and spicy heat.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
maekchu (3460) - Hirakata, JAPAN - DEC 24, 2012
Bomber. Thanks to mike12da. Coconut, airplane glue, sweet curry nose. Big ass cayenne pepper kick right away; mid palate gets even hotter. All the ingredient flavors are apparent at different moments (curry, cayenne, cumin, lime) and blend in interesting ways with the chocolate base. The cayenne, however, stays in the forefront all throughout. Fun, novel stuff.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jow (3446) - New York, USA - FEB 5, 2013
Good lord what a crazy brew. I ordered not knowing what it was. It took me awhile before I figured out it was curry and the all I could think of was this Thai Green Curry dish I always order for take out. In fact if I get drunk and then by mistake spill whatever stout im drinking into my food and then instead of discarding slurp up juices then that is this beer. really interesting and fun, slick finish with heat hitting hard in after taste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BenH (3438) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - MAR 8, 2013
Bottle. Black with little ring of head. The aroma is spectacular, more along the lines of a thai or malasian curry than indian, a perfect balance of spices, nasi goreng, lemon grass, lime, ginger and the coconut ties the whole thing together. Taste of lemon grass, lime and coconut, slightly roasty. Seems ever so slightly thin and quite spicy, cuts the back of the throat. Very well executed and completely unique