RATINGS: 476   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Brewed with madras curry, caynne pepper, cumin, toasted coconut, and kaffir lime leaf, Indra Kunindra is a 9% ABV stout brewed in collaboration with homebrewer Alex Tweet. It was brewed for Holiday Wine Cellarís 46th Anniversary Homebrewers Competition. First batch at 9%, others at 7%.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
SDalkoholic (2261) - Linda Vista, California, USA - JAN 13, 2012
Bottle from the Ballast Point Brewery in Linda Vista: Created a thick fluffy topping of foam head while the opaque liquid was a dark black color. In the aroma, my nose is instantly gratified with a sweet scent of coconut, banana, whip cream, and other spicing that somehow comes across as smelling like children sun tan lotion. My initial taste of this beer is black licorice, but the flavors doesnít stop there and goes on to give a tropical almost Caribbean taste with the fruity flavors of coconut, pineapple, banana, and a taste of lime zest. There is also a background of heavy dosages of spices that linger in the palate and throat after each gulp that obviously demonstrates the Indian influence on this stout with the addition of curry spices, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Iím so glad I was able to grab a few bottles from the brewery and I commend Ballast Point for picking up on this home brew recipe by Alex Tweet. Although, as I continue to finish my 22 oz bottle, I do notice that this might trigger a headache for me. None the less, nice job guys.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Slipstream (2252) - USA - NOV 7, 2012
On draft at The Pony Bar. A really interesting brew that tastes like an Indian snack - the most Indian tasting brew I have ever hard. Lots of hot pepper, cumin, nuts, and coriander, plus a dash of coconut.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
UDBeernut (2236) - Between JAX and SGJ, Florida, USA - JAN 18, 2014
bottle from daniel719,pours black, thin tan head. curry, onions, coconut in the nose. solid hot pepper taste, bitterness. roasted malts phase in and out. hot sauce burn.I still donít know how to take pepper beers. Hopefully its a fad.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
StefanSD (2218) - Lakeside, California, USA - APR 4, 2012
Pint glass at Toronado. Dark brown pour with a small beige head that had poor retention. The aroma is quite pungent with toffee, cloves and coconut--smells like an incense stick. The taste was similar to the nose, lots of cloves with other complex curry spices swirling about, can definitely pick out some cayenne. The malt bast is full and silky smooth with lively carbonation. Finishes long and disturbing. I really didnít care for this, its a bit to Frankenstein-like, I felt I was drinking liquefied incense. I do applaud the bold experimentation, but this is just not for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
msante79 (2216) - Mount Prospect, Illinois, USA - NOV 26, 2012
On tap at Alewife Queens. Pours murky cola brown with light tan head. Aromas of coconut and vanilla with some citrus. Flavors of coconut, vanilla, roast, some curry spice, and touch of citrus. This beer tastes like a pina colada with some spice. Truly interesting and tasty beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
dcschiller (2207) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - OCT 14, 2011
(22oz bottle from HWC). Pours dark brown with thin khaki head. Has a nice garnet hue to it as well. After having just come out of the fridge, the first thing to hit the senses is the curry and sweet coconut. The taste is semi-sweet with lots of savory notes and roast. There is also some vegetal bitterness that Iím guessing is from the lime leaf and cayenne. Medium bodied with a slick texture. Finish is warming from the alcohol and cayenne. The cayenne burn is quite nice unless you are a wuss that doesnít eat spicy food. The beer has loads of flavors going on, but they arenít as overpowering as I thought they might be. This is not the spice profile that my wife (who is Indian) cooks with since she blends her own masala. Otherwise, this might be the perfect exotic beer. Really cool beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
EdKing (2201) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - FEB 24, 2013
Bottle at Bruceís Bíday at the Craft. Opaque very dark brown, thin tan head. Nose if big curry, coriander, meaty, fruity, chutney spice. Taste is curry powder, coriander, spice, dark chocolate. Strange but in kind of works nicely.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
OldMrCrow (2197) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 5, 2014

I bought this one because someone--Beastie?--insisted that it was actually quite a decent beer and that the unusual approach really works in this case. I can see how people could have that opinion, but Iím afraid Iím not among them. The problem, for me, is that the curry and cumin is absolutely overbearing in the aroma. If I donít inhale and simply drink, itís actually pretty nice. The cayenne is just right, giving it a spicy nip without being the least bit unpleasant, the toasted coconut is not strong but is very nice, the kaffir leaf slips in there, the stout base is tasty, gently sweet, and refreshingly NOT about 10% ABV. Quite close to a hit, for me, just not entirely there. But Iíve got to give it some credit. Upon opening and initially smelling it, I thought Iíd dump the whole bottle and open something else. But now Iím half way through and may just keep going.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
malrubius (2181) - Springfield, Vermont, USA - MAR 1, 2014
UPDATED: MAR 2, 2014 Bottle from Save On. Black with fluffy tan head that dissipates quickly into ring and lace. Chocolate spiced espresso cayenne curry and woody aroma. Coffee chocolate curry spice vanilla with spicy lingering throat burn. Medium full body. My throat is burning. Reminds me why I so rarely purchase crazy flavored beers. Ultimately a $9 drain pour.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Christpuncher (2174) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 1, 2015
The curry and red pepper really stand out on this one. Slightly spivey and roasted malt finish. Smells like curry and pours black with a thick tan head. Had out of a bomber at home. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone