overall

RATINGS: 526   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Brewed with madras curry, caynne pepper, cumin, toasted coconut, and kaffir lime leaf, Indra Kunindra is a 9% ABV stout brewed in collaboration with homebrewer Alex Tweet. It was brewed for Holiday Wine Cellarís 46th Anniversary Homebrewers Competition. First batch at 9%, others at 7%.

jonno (2405) - JAPAN - APR 29, 2012
Wow...just wow. I have never tried such a unique beer (and probably never will!). Sweet madras curry, candied banana, honey and coconut as well as some unidentifiable (to me) spice or leaf. In the mouth itís medium bodied with curry, coconut and lovely hot pepper sting on the tail. Much better than it sounds. My only problem with this is that it was slightly tough going through a whole pint as summer starts to hit here in Japan. Having said that, it was a pleasant stray from well worn paths and an unexpected delight.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
beersearcher (2382) - Glendale, California, USA - OCT 19, 2011
This beer has me on the fence. It is complex. Unlike most beers. But it might be too much, at least for me. A swirl of vanilla, cinnamon and pepper gives it a kick. The 4oz pour was more than enough. The aroma works better than the flavor.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
DCLawyer (2374) - Falls Church, Virginia, USA - MAR 15, 2015
Bomber->pokal. Deep brown with thick tan head. A: spices, vegetables, malt, pepper. T: heavy spice, curry, coffee, malt. Drying. More odd than good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Slipstream (2348) - USA - NOV 7, 2012
On draft at The Pony Bar. A really interesting brew that tastes like an Indian snack - the most Indian tasting brew I have ever hard. Lots of hot pepper, cumin, nuts, and coriander, plus a dash of coconut.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TXBadger (2347) - Dallas, Texas, USA - MAY 12, 2014
Reviewed from notes: at a large share, first time having this beer. Pours a dark oil like black with tan head. Notes of coconut, oyster, and curry on the nose; coconut and cumin on the palate, with some sweetness. Finishes with a little heat, weird, but not bad.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
rxeight (2320) - Illinois, USA - MAR 9, 2013
spicy. loaded with curry. a little too much for my taste, vanilla and cinamon to slightly balance it out.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
SDalkoholic (2314) - Linda Vista, California, USA - JAN 13, 2012
Bottle from the Ballast Point Brewery in Linda Vista: Created a thick fluffy topping of foam head while the opaque liquid was a dark black color. In the aroma, my nose is instantly gratified with a sweet scent of coconut, banana, whip cream, and other spicing that somehow comes across as smelling like children sun tan lotion. My initial taste of this beer is black licorice, but the flavors doesnít stop there and goes on to give a tropical almost Caribbean taste with the fruity flavors of coconut, pineapple, banana, and a taste of lime zest. There is also a background of heavy dosages of spices that linger in the palate and throat after each gulp that obviously demonstrates the Indian influence on this stout with the addition of curry spices, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Iím so glad I was able to grab a few bottles from the brewery and I commend Ballast Point for picking up on this home brew recipe by Alex Tweet. Although, as I continue to finish my 22 oz bottle, I do notice that this might trigger a headache for me. None the less, nice job guys.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
EdKing (2305) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - FEB 24, 2013
Bottle at Bruceís Bíday at the Craft. Opaque very dark brown, thin tan head. Nose if big curry, coriander, meaty, fruity, chutney spice. Taste is curry powder, coriander, spice, dark chocolate. Strange but in kind of works nicely.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
OldMrCrow (2305) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 5, 2014
Bomber.

I bought this one because someone--Beastie?--insisted that it was actually quite a decent beer and that the unusual approach really works in this case. I can see how people could have that opinion, but Iím afraid Iím not among them. The problem, for me, is that the curry and cumin is absolutely overbearing in the aroma. If I donít inhale and simply drink, itís actually pretty nice. The cayenne is just right, giving it a spicy nip without being the least bit unpleasant, the toasted coconut is not strong but is very nice, the kaffir leaf slips in there, the stout base is tasty, gently sweet, and refreshingly NOT about 10% ABV. Quite close to a hit, for me, just not entirely there. But Iíve got to give it some credit. Upon opening and initially smelling it, I thought Iíd dump the whole bottle and open something else. But now Iím half way through and may just keep going.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
StefanSD (2286) - Ouray, Colorado, USA - APR 4, 2012
Pint glass at Toronado. Dark brown pour with a small beige head that had poor retention. The aroma is quite pungent with toffee, cloves and coconut--smells like an incense stick. The taste was similar to the nose, lots of cloves with other complex curry spices swirling about, can definitely pick out some cayenne. The malt bast is full and silky smooth with lively carbonation. Finishes long and disturbing. I really didnít care for this, its a bit to Frankenstein-like, I felt I was drinking liquefied incense. I do applaud the bold experimentation, but this is just not for me.