RATINGS: 2306   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
San Diego IPA
The Sculpin IPA is a testament to our humble beginnings as Home Brew Mart. Founded in 1992, the Mart continues to be a catalyst for the San Diego brewing scene, setting the trend for handcrafted ales. Inspired by our customers, employees and brewers, the Sculpin IPA is bright with aromas of apricot, peach, mango and lemon. Its lighter body also brings out the crispness of the hops. This delicious Ballast Point Ale took a Bronze Medal at the 2007 Great American Beer Festival in the Pro Am category. The Sculpin fish has poisonous spikes on its fins that can give a strong sting. Ironically, the meat from a Sculpin is considered some of the most tasty. Something that has a sting but tastes great, sounds like a Ballast Point India Pale Ale.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
tbelczak (9) - Buffalo, New York, USA - MAR 1, 2013 does not count
Hoppy aroma is a beautiful blend of pine, citrus, and mango. Crystal clear, light copper appearance. Malts get lost in bitterness and finishing hops, but I wasnít looking for that in this beer. Persistent, tiny bubbles of carbonation rise from the laser etched bottom of my glass, creating a very small but persistent head that releases those wonderful aromas from start to finish. The carbonation creates an incredibly light mouthfeel. Despite the lack of malt balance, an excellent beer with a very nice blend of hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
beastmaster (369) - Florida, USA - MAR 1, 2013
Bottle but drank from a mug. Unfortunate. Great beer. Aroma is citrus sweet. Fruity ipa, but stays true to hop heavy ipa style. Finishes nice

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
n_doe82 (1) - Severna Park, Maryland, USA - MAR 1, 2013 does not count
I donít know what all the hoopla is about this beer. I mean its slightly above average at best in my opinion. It is somewhat well balanced, it has very low malt undertones, almost so little malt itís undetectable. The first taste you notice is the bite of the almost overpowering hops, for such a low alcohol content ipa, after holding it in your mouth a second or two you will get a slight tropical fruity flavor followed by a finishing note of pine. Donít get me wrong this isnít a bad beer but there are definitely better and this one is not worth the money at 15 bucks a sixer. Iím not a beer connoisseur I just like good strong ipaís and imperials that taste good and get me drunk. For me taste comes first but I usually wonít buy it unless it has a abv of 8.0 or higher. If u want a beer like that try Lagunitas Maximus ipa, Flying Dog El Dorado, or possibly Mission brewery shipwrecked double ipa. All good solid ipas with high abv. The Ballast point Sculpin Ipa is more for your yuppie socialite drinker not a hardcore drunk like me that appreciates a good strong but solid brew... just bein honest, cheers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
csaso (1773) - Missouri, USA - FEB 28, 2013
Tap - fair size foamy head, medium copper color, nice grapefruit hop aroma and flavor with a fair malt balance ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
o_Merlin_o (193) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 27, 2013
UPDATED: NOV 13, 2014 2/27/2013: Pours golden yellow, with zero head. Definite flavors of grapefruit and peach. Slight sour aftertaste. Aroma = 5, Appearance = 3, Taste = 6, Palate = 2, Overall = 11 11/9/2014: Huge off-white head with good lacing. Aromas of earth and leaves, with a definite grapefruit. Medium body with fizzy carbonation. SUPER BITTER/SOUR. Aroma = 5, Appearance = 4, Taste = 4, Palate = 2, Overall = 6

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
EithCubes (5269) - New Jersey, USA - FEB 27, 2013
Bottle. Awesome hoppy nose, intense and rindy (a little pith), lightly rubbery, citric, grapefruit with a little lemon, tons of pine/wood. Sickly pale, hazy body with a dense and foamy beige head. Taste is quite dry, has that water-sucking soap quality, with strong but not overwhelming rubbery bitterness, not too oily or resin-filled but maxing out on the woody side of the hop spectrum. A little perfume/florality starts to creep in with warmth, but itís not a fruit bomb. Love this kind of clean hoppiness. Malt is light and mostly gets out of the way, maybe a touch of caramel but no overdone crystal or anything like that. Fullish body, alcohol integrated, smooth but not flat. This may be the best widely available, bang-for-your-buck IPA in the country; itís certainly in the conversation.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
neontb (58) - - FEB 27, 2013
Bottle pour into a tulip. When I find a good highly rated IPA that I havent ever had I try to compare it to the best IPA I know I can find. Today its Sculpin vs. Bellís Two Hearted poured into identical glasses. I am a huuugggeee fan of two hearted so this is going to be a tough one, but here goes. Aroma: I gotta say sculpin wins on this one, helluva good tropical fruit aroma. Two hearted has the classic hop aroma, but sculpin is more nuanced, fruity and more tropical than most. I also have to give the appearance category to sculpin. Pours a good 1 inch head that sticks around. Its a clearer golden than two hearted with nice lacing that sticks to the side of the glass. Taste: Two hearted is so balanced piney and citrus, thats what I love about it, but the sculpin is so tropical. Ton of pineapple and mango, damn good too. These are so different in taste. Sculpin reminds me quite a bit of Shlafly Tasmanian almost in that pineapple mango. Each has its merits, and because they are so different the taste between these two is a toss up. I sat them both to warm up a bit, they were a touch too cold, but after waiting 20 minutes the tastes are better on both- but still a tie. I call tie on taste category. Overall: geez, two hearted has met its match. Even though sculpin won in aroma and appearance I think I have to call tie, but that is saying something huge(I have done the compare ratings with two hearted coming out on top over Racer 5, GD Titan, Stone IPA, Loose Cannon Hop3, Rogue Yellow Snow, Founders Centennial, 60 minute, etc.) They are very different. albeit American IPAís. If you like pine and citrus two hearted is a god that will never disappoint. Sculpin is more interesting and may be the best IPA I have ever had that is heavy handed on the tropical flavors (other than Bellís hopslam). You canít go wrong with either of these. Unbelievable ale, I just wish it wasnt quite so expensive. Two hearted is a bit cheaper around me (DC area) so Iíll stick with that, but Sculpin will be a nice treat from now on. Well done Ballast Point.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
solidfunk (5673) - Washington D.C., Washington DC, USA - FEB 26, 2013
Smells fruity, like tangerine. I feel like mango, but maybe itís just the tropical atmosphere. Faint initial fruitiness and tastes pretty bitter. Pours golden with good lacing and decent head retention. Alcohol well-hidden, average carbonation. Good but seems a little overrated. Tap at Taberna Lupulo.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
phikus01 (112) - New York, USA - FEB 26, 2013
UPDATED: FEB 28, 2013 Very good well balanced IPA. Other reviewers have described this well. Alost like half Anderson valley IPA half troegs perpetual ipa. Probably could be in my top 5 IPAs

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
hangunder (305) - Ontario, CANADA - FEB 26, 2013
Grapfruit in the aroma, tropcial fruit and a bit of malt. Copper colored, not very long lasting white head. Very piney dry taste upfront with a dry finish. Not overly complex but very unique. A bit of malt and tropical fruit in the aftertaste. Not overly complex but very refined and unique. Carbonation feels very fine. Medium bodied.