RATINGS: 2350   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
San Diego IPA
The Sculpin IPA is a testament to our humble beginnings as Home Brew Mart. Founded in 1992, the Mart continues to be a catalyst for the San Diego brewing scene, setting the trend for handcrafted ales. Inspired by our customers, employees and brewers, the Sculpin IPA is bright with aromas of apricot, peach, mango and lemon. Its lighter body also brings out the crispness of the hops. This delicious Ballast Point Ale took a Bronze Medal at the 2007 Great American Beer Festival in the Pro Am category. The Sculpin fish has poisonous spikes on its fins that can give a strong sting. Ironically, the meat from a Sculpin is considered some of the most tasty. Something that has a sting but tastes great, sounds like a Ballast Point India Pale Ale.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
neontb (59) - - FEB 27, 2013
Bottle pour into a tulip. When I find a good highly rated IPA that I havent ever had I try to compare it to the best IPA I know I can find. Today its Sculpin vs. Bellís Two Hearted poured into identical glasses. I am a huuugggeee fan of two hearted so this is going to be a tough one, but here goes. Aroma: I gotta say sculpin wins on this one, helluva good tropical fruit aroma. Two hearted has the classic hop aroma, but sculpin is more nuanced, fruity and more tropical than most. I also have to give the appearance category to sculpin. Pours a good 1 inch head that sticks around. Its a clearer golden than two hearted with nice lacing that sticks to the side of the glass. Taste: Two hearted is so balanced piney and citrus, thats what I love about it, but the sculpin is so tropical. Ton of pineapple and mango, damn good too. These are so different in taste. Sculpin reminds me quite a bit of Shlafly Tasmanian almost in that pineapple mango. Each has its merits, and because they are so different the taste between these two is a toss up. I sat them both to warm up a bit, they were a touch too cold, but after waiting 20 minutes the tastes are better on both- but still a tie. I call tie on taste category. Overall: geez, two hearted has met its match. Even though sculpin won in aroma and appearance I think I have to call tie, but that is saying something huge(I have done the compare ratings with two hearted coming out on top over Racer 5, GD Titan, Stone IPA, Loose Cannon Hop3, Rogue Yellow Snow, Founders Centennial, 60 minute, etc.) They are very different. albeit American IPAís. If you like pine and citrus two hearted is a god that will never disappoint. Sculpin is more interesting and may be the best IPA I have ever had that is heavy handed on the tropical flavors (other than Bellís hopslam). You canít go wrong with either of these. Unbelievable ale, I just wish it wasnt quite so expensive. Two hearted is a bit cheaper around me (DC area) so Iíll stick with that, but Sculpin will be a nice treat from now on. Well done Ballast Point.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
solidfunk (5935) - Washington D.C., Washington DC, USA - FEB 26, 2013
Smells fruity, like tangerine. I feel like mango, but maybe itís just the tropical atmosphere. Faint initial fruitiness and tastes pretty bitter. Pours golden with good lacing and decent head retention. Alcohol well-hidden, average carbonation. Good but seems a little overrated. Tap at Taberna Lupulo.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
phikus01 (112) - New York, USA - FEB 26, 2013
UPDATED: FEB 28, 2013 Very good well balanced IPA. Other reviewers have described this well. Alost like half Anderson valley IPA half troegs perpetual ipa. Probably could be in my top 5 IPAs

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
hangunder (305) - Ontario, CANADA - FEB 26, 2013
Grapfruit in the aroma, tropcial fruit and a bit of malt. Copper colored, not very long lasting white head. Very piney dry taste upfront with a dry finish. Not overly complex but very unique. A bit of malt and tropical fruit in the aftertaste. Not overly complex but very refined and unique. Carbonation feels very fine. Medium bodied.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jackfrost9p (338) - California, USA - FEB 24, 2013
Damn good IPA. Reminds me of the Smutty Nose IPA, which I absolutely loved when I lived in New Hampshire. Strong hops, citrus, floral and pine aromas and flavors, which equals a fabulous brew.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
PatDeCrabe (3) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - FEB 24, 2013 does not count
Very bitter, dominant hops with strong citrus aromas. Refreshing and fun to drink!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
craig220 (313) - Crofton, Maryland, USA - FEB 23, 2013
Poured a clear golden/copper color with a huge white, frothy head. Aroma is resin, floral, citrus, and grapefruit. Taste is grapefruit, lemon, pine, with a slight grass taste. This is what an IPA tastes like. Nothing more to say.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jpwooten (8) - - FEB 23, 2013 does not count
Probably the best IPA available in bottles in Texas, as we donít get FFF, Bells etc. My measure against all others, here anyways.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
El_Jefe (62) - - FEB 21, 2013
It's way dryer and hoppier than I expected. Very little malt presence. It was alright ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hopsythe (46) - - FEB 17, 2013
Growler fill from local mart. Aroma is huge floral of citrus, grass and golden malts, a lot of citrus. Taste of tropical fruits soaked in orange and lemon. The sweetness complements the bitterness so well. Can see my self cashing this growler tonight. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone