overall

RATINGS: 1877   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
San Diego IPA
The Sculpin IPA is a testament to our humble beginnings as Home Brew Mart. Founded in 1992, the Mart continues to be a catalyst for the San Diego brewing scene, setting the trend for handcrafted ales. Inspired by our customers, employees and brewers, the Sculpin IPA is bright with aromas of apricot, peach, mango and lemon. Its lighter body also brings out the crispness of the hops. This delicious Ballast Point Ale took a Bronze Medal at the 2007 Great American Beer Festival in the Pro Am category. The Sculpin fish has poisonous spikes on its fins that can give a strong sting. Ironically, the meat from a Sculpin is considered some of the most tasty. Something that has a sting but tastes great, sounds like a Ballast Point India Pale Ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Jasond612 (275) - Phila, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 28, 2013
10/26/12. Bought 2 $3.39 bottles from CBO and was my first beer at wasabi. Rated as one of the highest ipa's out there and I agree. Hazy gold with a very long-lasting full head. Very strong citrusy aroma and the taste follows the nose. Heading to My Favorites! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
oOJUXEOo (274) - Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 19, 2010
On tap at Pizzeria Uno Bensalem. Surprisingly nice light color. Aroma is pine and citrus. Very little head. Taste is wonderful. It has a very upfront hop kick that isn’t overbearing, and doesn’t stay thick or harsh on your palate. Brought me joy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
VinegarStroke (270) - Napa, California, USA - JAN 4, 2014
Bottle (22 ounce): Clear, golden with a hint of copper and a thick head. Huge lift of fresh hops. Lantana, citrus, pine. Very fresh. Green but rich.. Dry to off dry. Medium to medium high bitterness. Not sour. Rich, very fresh. Great weight and length. Bitterness is balanced by flavor. Tropical, citrus, pine hop flavors with malt to match. Intense west coast IPA but as balanced as they come. Intense but lovely beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ColovianTrader (270) - - FEB 23, 2014
Lots of grapefruit in this one. Bitter citrus hops, caramel, orange, tart fruit and pine with undertones of bread. Well balanced and a dry finish. Lives up to its reputation as a world class IPA

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
jehoesefat (270) - Poway, California, USA - APR 19, 2013
Strong citrus IPA smell. Pours clear orange with a white head. Flavor is all grapefruit and bitter. Light beer with average carbonation, very good!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
iugrad93 (266) - Indiana, USA - JAN 5, 2012
First of all, this is my favorite style, so I am biased for sure. But, I love the aroma of beautiful citrus. Pours a hazy, golden color. Taste is lightly sweet, lightly sour, and some, oh so tasty, bitterness. Palate is average carbonation, and a wonderful bitter, dry finish. Overall, this is what I LOVE to drink and BP does a wonderful job. I could drink this all day....and maybe I will.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
slitcher (266) - Freeport, Illinois, USA - MAR 25, 2010
Pours a beautiful gold with a thick white head. Aroma of pine, grapefruit, oranges, HOPS!!! Hops and more hops on the palat, but somehow not overpowering; very easy to drink. Nice dry bitter finish. This is without a doubt one of the best balanced super-hoppy IPAs I have ever had the pleasure to try; glad I bought more than one bomber!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
sarahmarie (265) - Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 9, 2011
Beautiful orange copper with a pillowy white head. Gorgeous lacing throughout. I just have to sit and admire this baby. Bouqet of grapefruit and melon. Pungent hop flavor with citrus and the perfet malt balance. Lingering sweetness with long lasting bitterness. Dry finish with some alcohol warmth, I can’t put it down, it is soo good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
klas (265) - SWEDEN - OCT 26, 2013
Bottle from Systembolaget. One of the best ipa:a. Good aroma and taste. Very bitter...

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
FURLYSURIOUS (263) - Orono, Minnesota, USA - FEB 14, 2012
This was my first time ordering online and none of the hop forward beers I purchased came with any dates that I could tell, disappointing. This one is over the hill. Nice golden pear tone, thinner head that recedes to a minimal cap but then retains throughout Nose is a bit subdued, mostly citrus but truly difficult to discern, I have an easier time smelling the glass that I poured it into. The character isn’t nearly as muted as I would’ve guessed by the smell - all that citrus - tangerine, grapefruit, abstract bitter... clearly outdated though. Mouthfeel is thinner than I would’ve expected but seems appropriate for this particular brew, carbonation is still spot on. Overall, I guess I’ll just wait for a good trade opportunity or a vacation to give this one a real review.