overall

RATINGS: 2536   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
San Diego IPA
The Sculpin IPA is a testament to our humble beginnings as Home Brew Mart. Founded in 1992, the Mart continues to be a catalyst for the San Diego brewing scene, setting the trend for handcrafted ales. Inspired by our customers, employees and brewers, the Sculpin IPA is bright with aromas of apricot, peach, mango and lemon. Its lighter body also brings out the crispness of the hops. This delicious Ballast Point Ale took a Bronze Medal at the 2007 Great American Beer Festival in the Pro Am category. The Sculpin fish has poisonous spikes on its fins that can give a strong sting. Ironically, the meat from a Sculpin is considered some of the most tasty. Something that has a sting but tastes great, sounds like a Ballast Point India Pale Ale.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
joe1510 (501) - Illinois, USA - APR 19, 2008
22oz Bomber Recieved this in a great box courtesy of errantnight, thanks again Derek! Oh, wow! As soon as I cracked this open I took whiff and I can tell I’m going to be in for a treat but before I get to the nose let me explain the pour. Sculpin empties the bomber a moderately hazed golden with bursts of carbonation screaming to the surface. The clean white head grew to two + fingers on the pour and eventually fell to one finger’s worth of dense creaminess. Now, What first caught my attention and has been on my mind ever since popping the top, the wonderful nose. There’s a small pale maltiness coming through way, way in back. The good stuff? Huge notes of apricot, tangerine, and a big freshly broken pine neddle hoppiness throughout. Ballast Point did an unbelievable job with the hop additions. It’s reminiscent of the hopping I find in Dreadnaught and blows my mind that a brewer can get such vivid, delicious aromas from the little cones. The flavor doesn’t quite live up to the nose but that would be near impossible. The taste is softer than expected with a dominant apricot hoppiness upfront followed by the pinyness on the finish. A little sweet in the middle but damn, that apricot is vivid and delicious. This really is a great IPA. The mouthfeel is spot on. Solid carbonation awakens the tongue for the moderate bitterness present from mid-palate to the finish. The body is medium but the carbonation helps it glide through without a problem. I wouldn’t have a problem drinking this beer all night. If Sculpin was available in my area it would be purchased by the forklift and drank just as quickly. Ballast Point hit a homerun with Sculpin. A really great IPA with a hop profile that is very rarely found except in the most delicious of the style. Ballast Point makes some great beers and this may be the best I’ve tried from them yet. A new favorite! 4/19

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
musinj6 (500) - Dedham, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 3, 2015
Pours an orange with one finger head and mild/moderate lacing. Very forward hop aroma with pine, resin, grapefruit. Toasted malt backbone. Medium to full bodied. Long bitter finish. Great beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Franzen (500) - SWEDEN - OCT 4, 2013
UPDATED: OCT 12, 2013 Bottle from systembolaget
Really nice aroma, heavy in both grape, passion fruit and mango
Nice clear straw colour and great head.
The taste is nice, you can notice that some maltiness is there but it is only in the background and just enough to carry the hops. Just as the maltiness in an IPA should be. The bitterness is nice and pretty round and smooth.
The body is light to medium, the carbination average and the finish is pretty long with the nice bitterness from the taste. The palate is okey but I prefer my IPAs lighter and more carbonated.
It is a relly nice IPA. It would be interesting to try this in USA to get it really fresh, ’cause even if it is good it still has nothing on some locally produced IPAs we get fresh here in sweden

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
michcam8 (499) - Ohio, USA - APR 11, 2013
Good IPA that I have wanted to try for a while. Date says drink by August 2013. Aroma is of grapfruit, pine, grass, alcohol burn, and slight malt. Taste is somewhat transparent to the aroma, although toned down a little bit. Not bad, but for the price here in Ohio, I can find better, fresher IPA’s.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
reberiii (498) - Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 12, 2013
UPDATED: DEC 26, 2013 Orange pour into snifter. Piney and orange citrus on the nose then tongue. Dry. Missing the body of an East Coast IPA, but that’s the point, right? Lovely.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Brandon1989 (497) - Euless, Texas, USA - APR 28, 2015
This beer pours a clear golden color with a medium off white head that left some good amount of lacing around the glass. The aroma is amazing! I pick up citrus, sweet grapefruit, and pine. The taste is quite similar to the aroma. you pick up the hop bitterness right up front but it is not overwhelming and finishes with a sweet grapefruit and citrus taste on the back-end. The mouthfeel is on the light to medium side. The drinkability is quite high but you have to be careful with the abv. I wasn’t sure if I would be let down by this beer but I certainly wasn’t. It is truly a world class beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Crispy34 (496) - Texas, USA - JAN 15, 2013
Bomber bottle. The aroma is hoppy, but with some malt in there. I'm guessing cascades. The appearance is light bronze with good lacing. The taste is a hoppy citrus that is refreshing. The palate is good for an ipa. Overall, a good, balanced ipa. Will buy again. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jdjuice (496) - Kumamoto, JAPAN - AUG 30, 2015
Such a unique, instantly recognizable aroma. Very fruity, citrusy, and fresh, with just the right amount of hop bitterness and well-balanced malt. Very drinkable for it’s ABV and is one of my favorite IPAs.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
acearl (496) - The Ham, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 12, 2010
One of the IPAs I’ve been lucky enough to sample, they are my favorite brew and what I rate beers by, trip to LA and first stop was Whole Foods Redondo Beach, they had 22 oz bombers, bought 2. tangerine gold hue with white head, nice citrusy smell, nector and resin they way it should be, well balanced texture, medium carbonation, not too bitter, very good stuff

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dojken (493) - - OCT 29, 2012
UPDATED: OCT 4, 2013 Bra balans med fin god arom med frukt o citrus. Beskan ligger bra i munnen med lång eftersmak. Detta är utifrån att vara en Ipa en mycket bra sådan.