overall

RATINGS: 2204   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
San Diego IPA
The Sculpin IPA is a testament to our humble beginnings as Home Brew Mart. Founded in 1992, the Mart continues to be a catalyst for the San Diego brewing scene, setting the trend for handcrafted ales. Inspired by our customers, employees and brewers, the Sculpin IPA is bright with aromas of apricot, peach, mango and lemon. Its lighter body also brings out the crispness of the hops. This delicious Ballast Point Ale took a Bronze Medal at the 2007 Great American Beer Festival in the Pro Am category. The Sculpin fish has poisonous spikes on its fins that can give a strong sting. Ironically, the meat from a Sculpin is considered some of the most tasty. Something that has a sting but tastes great, sounds like a Ballast Point India Pale Ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
emartell (273) - Zapopan, Jalisco, MEXICO - APR 20, 2014
UPDATED: FEB 5, 2015 Aroma delicioso y muy refrescante. Notas citricas y a la vez florales, en donde se puede percibirla naranja, lima, mandarina e incluso durazno, mientras que floralmente se perciben notas a pino. En cuanto a apariencia color naranja claro con destellos opacos cobrizos. Cuerpo de medio a redondo, corona de espuma media de media retención , carbonatacion baja. En boca sabores frutales, buen equilibrio, ligero amargor. Al paladar se detectan sabores frutales, principalmente a durazno, un muy buen equilibrio y un final poco amargo, a diferencia de lo que se podría esperar. En resumen una buena IPA, con caracteristicas notables agradables, buena apariencia y aroma, muy balanceada, quiza algo carente del notable amargor de las IPAs americanas.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
terefere (273) - Durham, USA - MAR 1, 2015
Pours golden, slightly hazy and sparkling, nice frothy head. Aroma of lychee, citrus, spruce, biscuit. Taste: pomelo, biscuit, earthy, grapfruit, grass.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
mensch (271) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - JUN 7, 2013
UPDATED: OCT 6, 2014 This coulda been a contender, if not for the onions. Awfully nice citrus and perfume on the nose, and then onion. No one else will really notice, but it’s there. Otherwise, excellent. Re-rate: The onions are milder this time. But I still don’t understand the hype. I like their Big Eye better.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
BiffNilsson (270) - Perstorp, SWEDEN - NOV 8, 2013
Drack denna öl för kall första gången och var inte alls imponerad. Nu drack jag den något varmare och fick en smakupplevelse i gengäld. Härlig doft, kompakta balanserade smaker och en påtaglig beska som sitter kvar länge. Mkt bra öl kort sagt.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
minihame2 (269) - Tokyo, JAPAN - AUG 24, 2013
Clear copper colour and a small white head. Aroma is dominated by hops with faint citrus in the background. Taste is incredibly soft, only slight bitterness after you have swallowed a couple of times. Rich body, super soft mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Great IPA!

anstei (268) - Zurich, SWITZERLAND - FEB 28, 2015
650ml bottle from Slowbeer. Pours amber with a big head. Big nose, floral and hoppy. Typical DIPA taste, strong and sweet and bitter. A good one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TattooJack (267) - Illinois, USA - SEP 9, 2014
Poured from 2 bombers into a pint glass. This is the first time I rated beer in the opposite, usually I go to places and buy beer, drink it, and then rate it. This time I found a highly rated beer, sought it out, and then drank it. It’s funny how expectations change things because after reading the reviews of this beer I guess I must have been expecting a genie to fly out of the bottle and grant me three wishes. Well since this did not happen I will tell you what those wishes would have been. 1.) I wish this beer was $12 a six pack instead of $9 a bomber. b.) I wish this beer was a bit stronger maybe closer to 8% for the price. 3.) I wish I could taste any of the fruit listed on the side of the bottle that was mirrored in many of the reviews. I have had $100 a bottle cognac and can appreciate the reasons why it was 3 times the price, this is not the same, there are better IPA for cheaper. It’s good not legendary.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
slitcher (266) - Freeport, Illinois, USA - MAR 25, 2010
Pours a beautiful gold with a thick white head. Aroma of pine, grapefruit, oranges, HOPS!!! Hops and more hops on the palat, but somehow not overpowering; very easy to drink. Nice dry bitter finish. This is without a doubt one of the best balanced super-hoppy IPAs I have ever had the pleasure to try; glad I bought more than one bomber!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
sarahmarie (265) - Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 9, 2011
Beautiful orange copper with a pillowy white head. Gorgeous lacing throughout. I just have to sit and admire this baby. Bouqet of grapefruit and melon. Pungent hop flavor with citrus and the perfet malt balance. Lingering sweetness with long lasting bitterness. Dry finish with some alcohol warmth, I can’t put it down, it is soo good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
iugrad93 (265) - Indiana, USA - JAN 5, 2012
First of all, this is my favorite style, so I am biased for sure. But, I love the aroma of beautiful citrus. Pours a hazy, golden color. Taste is lightly sweet, lightly sour, and some, oh so tasty, bitterness. Palate is average carbonation, and a wonderful bitter, dry finish. Overall, this is what I LOVE to drink and BP does a wonderful job. I could drink this all day....and maybe I will.