overall

RATINGS: 2171   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
San Diego IPA
The Sculpin IPA is a testament to our humble beginnings as Home Brew Mart. Founded in 1992, the Mart continues to be a catalyst for the San Diego brewing scene, setting the trend for handcrafted ales. Inspired by our customers, employees and brewers, the Sculpin IPA is bright with aromas of apricot, peach, mango and lemon. Its lighter body also brings out the crispness of the hops. This delicious Ballast Point Ale took a Bronze Medal at the 2007 Great American Beer Festival in the Pro Am category. The Sculpin fish has poisonous spikes on its fins that can give a strong sting. Ironically, the meat from a Sculpin is considered some of the most tasty. Something that has a sting but tastes great, sounds like a Ballast Point India Pale Ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BierFiend (248) - Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 2, 2013
Pours golden with a small white head. Smells of hops and peaches. Tastes of hops, fruit, peaches, and slight bitter. Very refreshing and delicious. Simple but complex.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Nicke80 (248) - SŲdertšlje, SWEDEN - JUN 6, 2014
33cl bottle from systembolaget bs. Pours golden with fruity aroma. Balanced, hoppy flavours with sweet citrus notes.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TattooJack (246) - Illinois, USA - SEP 9, 2014
Poured from 2 bombers into a pint glass. This is the first time I rated beer in the opposite, usually I go to places and buy beer, drink it, and then rate it. This time I found a highly rated beer, sought it out, and then drank it. Itís funny how expectations change things because after reading the reviews of this beer I guess I must have been expecting a genie to fly out of the bottle and grant me three wishes. Well since this did not happen I will tell you what those wishes would have been. 1.) I wish this beer was $12 a six pack instead of $9 a bomber. b.) I wish this beer was a bit stronger maybe closer to 8% for the price. 3.) I wish I could taste any of the fruit listed on the side of the bottle that was mirrored in many of the reviews. I have had $100 a bottle cognac and can appreciate the reasons why it was 3 times the price, this is not the same, there are better IPA for cheaper. Itís good not legendary.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cbuk1013 (246) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - JUL 6, 2013
Tried this with 3 other people. All over the board. One loved it, one hated it and two of us in the middle. Smells and tastes like a citrus bomb with a little bitterness. Surprisingly easy to drink.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
thetomG (246) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 27, 2010
Sipping on this one as I type... form a bomber (obtained from foppa78 at DLD - thanks bro!) into my Dogfish Head signature glass. Pours a mostly clear golden color with a nice fluffy white head. Aroma is solid but doesnít really blow me away. Iím picking up a bitter citrus almost slightly lemon flavor. Bubbly carbonation rules the palate at first with a more gentle smoothness on the finish. Overall I have to say I was a bit disappointed by this. No doubt it is a great representation of the style, but I just didnít love it as much as I was hoping I would.

redtechnj (246) - Williamstown, New Jersey, USA - MAR 26, 2013
Appearance-Clear deep golden a thick, white, long lasting head. Nice lacing. Aroma- Big sweet scent, honey,pine,fruity Flavor-Bitter hoppy bite, sweet malt,citrus,creamy

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
RyanK (245) - Rhode Island, USA - FEB 26, 2015
Iíve had in 22 and 12oz bottles as well as 12oz cans. Pours a nice orange/golden, has a small white head. Aroma is of juicy aromatic hops, apricot and lemon. Has a light body, good carbonation and very easy drinking for 7%. Has up forward hop taste and then the fruity, juicy hops kick in. Nicely underlying roasted malt flavor as well this is a must for fans of the style.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
grimreaperguru (245) - santee, California, USA - APR 15, 2010
Pours a light golden orange with a nice white head.The aroma is a nice fruity and citrus hops.The flavor is of a grapfruit citrus and a little malt.The finnish is nice and clean.Very refreshing.Overall a great brew.

Beerandhockey8 (243) - Three Forks, Montana, USA - MAY 2, 2015
On tap, Finley's Pub, Denver. Pour is a nice Amber/orange, thin white head. Nose is big hop, big citrus, resin, floral. Taste is bitter, medium bodied. Finished very dry on your palate, but still a full bodied taste. Nice IPA. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Obfuscate (243) - Minneapolis, - NOV 4, 2014
UPDATED: DEC 10, 2014 12 once bottle. Nice orange body, orange and other citrus on the nose. Pretty clean, bright and refreshing. Finally got a fresh bottle. Not my favorite IPA but good stuff. Make sure you have a fresh bottle!