overall

RATINGS: 1897   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
San Diego IPA
The Sculpin IPA is a testament to our humble beginnings as Home Brew Mart. Founded in 1992, the Mart continues to be a catalyst for the San Diego brewing scene, setting the trend for handcrafted ales. Inspired by our customers, employees and brewers, the Sculpin IPA is bright with aromas of apricot, peach, mango and lemon. Its lighter body also brings out the crispness of the hops. This delicious Ballast Point Ale took a Bronze Medal at the 2007 Great American Beer Festival in the Pro Am category. The Sculpin fish has poisonous spikes on its fins that can give a strong sting. Ironically, the meat from a Sculpin is considered some of the most tasty. Something that has a sting but tastes great, sounds like a Ballast Point India Pale Ale.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Colitis (2) - Texas, USA - APR 19, 2014 does not count
A wonderful IPA! I first tried this been in bottle, but had it again today on draught. Both have been wonderful experiences. Piney, citrusy, with bitterness on the end note, a lovely feel. Try this beer! I read about this beer before trying it and it is well worth the hype.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
eheise (2) - Colfax, Washington, USA - JUL 6, 2014 does not count
Crisp and refreshing. Very citrus and clean. Very detailed hop notes. Tastes like it just came from tap room. FRESH

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
BellesBrews (2) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 26, 2014 does not count
Lighter in colour than the Big Eye IPA, Ballast Point Brewing is my favorite of San Diego beers. Dare I say less arrogant and more balanced makes Sculpin top notch beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brewthesis (1) - - JUL 2, 2012 does not count
I've had this before and didn't much care for it. This batch (6-pack that just arrived at the store) was fantastic. It pours a beautiful orange and smells like fresh sticky hops. Fruity hops, like citrusy orange, mango & grapefruit. It tastes much the same, juicy! Bitter on the finish but not overly, all in all it's delicious, balanced and in my opinion, what a great IPA should taste like. ---Rated via Beer Buddy

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
gointhefridge (1) - New York, USA - JUL 22, 2012 does not count
A vicious bite but so smoothly satisfying after the sharp beginning. Hop-raisin notes trickle down the palate and fall into a symphony sweet nectar beneath the abrasive bitter crust. Gorgeous lacing with a fine head and a strong aroma. Overall,a remarkable IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ercxi (1) - USA - OCT 22, 2012 does not count
resin, floral, citrus, golden, clear, frothy, tan foam, medium sweetness, very bitter, medium sourness, medium body, thin feel, oily feel, lively,

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
pedrobud1 (1) - - DEC 31, 2012 does not count
I love IPA and this was the best IPA I have had. Great flavor, appearance, and aroma. Highly recommended

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Alchymist (1) - - FEB 4, 2013 does not count
You canít go wrong with this IPA. Great from start to finish. The citrus is well balanced with the hop. Use this as your standard for comparison.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
n_doe82 (1) - Severna Park, Maryland, USA - MAR 1, 2013 does not count
I donít know what all the hoopla is about this beer. I mean its slightly above average at best in my opinion. It is somewhat well balanced, it has very low malt undertones, almost so little malt itís undetectable. The first taste you notice is the bite of the almost overpowering hops, for such a low alcohol content ipa, after holding it in your mouth a second or two you will get a slight tropical fruity flavor followed by a finishing note of pine. Donít get me wrong this isnít a bad beer but there are definitely better and this one is not worth the money at 15 bucks a sixer. Iím not a beer connoisseur I just like good strong ipaís and imperials that taste good and get me drunk. For me taste comes first but I usually wonít buy it unless it has a abv of 8.0 or higher. If u want a beer like that try Lagunitas Maximus ipa, Flying Dog El Dorado, or possibly Mission brewery shipwrecked double ipa. All good solid ipas with high abv. The Ballast point Sculpin Ipa is more for your yuppie socialite drinker not a hardcore drunk like me that appreciates a good strong but solid brew... just bein honest, cheers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jkdhoo (1) - Illinois, USA - MAR 8, 2013 does not count
An outstanding IPA. I know my ratings arenít high enough to be counted, but I have been drinking exclusively IPA for the past 3 years and this is the best IPA to date. The big difference between Sculpin IPA and the others is the aftertaste. Sculpin IPA leaves a light aftertaste, so much so that I feel like I could still rate food and/or wine if so needed. Much different than like a ruination IPA, which is so bitter it literally ruins the palette. When my local beer mart has this, and the wife is ignoring the finances, I will indulge in this beverage any chance I get.