overall

RATINGS: 1960   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
San Diego IPA
The Sculpin IPA is a testament to our humble beginnings as Home Brew Mart. Founded in 1992, the Mart continues to be a catalyst for the San Diego brewing scene, setting the trend for handcrafted ales. Inspired by our customers, employees and brewers, the Sculpin IPA is bright with aromas of apricot, peach, mango and lemon. Its lighter body also brings out the crispness of the hops. This delicious Ballast Point Ale took a Bronze Medal at the 2007 Great American Beer Festival in the Pro Am category. The Sculpin fish has poisonous spikes on its fins that can give a strong sting. Ironically, the meat from a Sculpin is considered some of the most tasty. Something that has a sting but tastes great, sounds like a Ballast Point India Pale Ale.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
fackbesokare (13) - - OCT 13, 2012
Amazing surprise to find this beer in Sweden. perfection? hops aroma and taste very fresh, head retention and flawless appearance. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
pedrobud1 (1) - - DEC 31, 2012 does not count
I love IPA and this was the best IPA I have had. Great flavor, appearance, and aroma. Highly recommended

jpwooten (8) - - FEB 23, 2013 does not count
Probably the best IPA available in bottles in Texas, as we donít get FFF, Bells etc. My measure against all others, here anyways.

neontb (49) - - FEB 27, 2013
Bottle pour into a tulip. When I find a good highly rated IPA that I havent ever had I try to compare it to the best IPA I know I can find. Today its Sculpin vs. Bellís Two Hearted poured into identical glasses. I am a huuugggeee fan of two hearted so this is going to be a tough one, but here goes. Aroma: I gotta say sculpin wins on this one, helluva good tropical fruit aroma. Two hearted has the classic hop aroma, but sculpin is more nuanced, fruity and more tropical than most. I also have to give the appearance category to sculpin. Pours a good 1 inch head that sticks around. Its a clearer golden than two hearted with nice lacing that sticks to the side of the glass. Taste: Two hearted is so balanced piney and citrus, thats what I love about it, but the sculpin is so tropical. Ton of pineapple and mango, damn good too. These are so different in taste. Sculpin reminds me quite a bit of Shlafly Tasmanian almost in that pineapple mango. Each has its merits, and because they are so different the taste between these two is a toss up. I sat them both to warm up a bit, they were a touch too cold, but after waiting 20 minutes the tastes are better on both- but still a tie. I call tie on taste category. Overall: geez, two hearted has met its match. Even though sculpin won in aroma and appearance I think I have to call tie, but that is saying something huge(I have done the compare ratings with two hearted coming out on top over Racer 5, GD Titan, Stone IPA, Loose Cannon Hop3, Rogue Yellow Snow, Founders Centennial, 60 minute, etc.) They are very different. albeit American IPAís. If you like pine and citrus two hearted is a god that will never disappoint. Sculpin is more interesting and may be the best IPA I have ever had that is heavy handed on the tropical flavors (other than Bellís hopslam). You canít go wrong with either of these. Unbelievable ale, I just wish it wasnt quite so expensive. Two hearted is a bit cheaper around me (DC area) so Iíll stick with that, but Sculpin will be a nice treat from now on. Well done Ballast Point.

Vir4030 (529) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 3, 2013
Pours a clear orange yellow with a thick head from a bottle. Nice to get a 6-pack for $15. Sweet hops and apricot is the aroma, very nice. Flavor is a really nice sweet hop on the back of the tongue. This was a great recommendation by the beer guy at Cardinal in Niles. I would have thought this beer to be more than 7%.

maltman53 (368) - Corrales, New Mexico, USA - SEP 14, 2013
Pours hazy apricot, nice head and lasting lace, citrusy, apricot biscuits aroma, beautifully balanced sweet apricot fruit leather and hoppy middle palate, finishing full-bodied and crisp. No sign of the 7% ABV on the palate, a benchmark IPA!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
want1DIPA (227) - - OCT 20, 2013
On draft at Ballast Point. My 100 on rate beer and reasonably so! The best IPA out there! Insane hoppy aroma with a pungent, piney palate. One of the GOATs!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
mstrcrwly (320) - New York, USA - DEC 2, 2013
The second i opened the bottle and poured it into a Hoegaarden pint glass..i new this was going to be something special..golden/orange color with 1 inch white head..peach/apricot/citrus aroma..and without a doubt the best balanced IPA iíve ever had..most people expect a west coast IPA to be just hop,hop,hop..but thatís not the case here...Ballast Point outdid themselves on this one..would drink this every day if i could..

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
mbfrease20 (2) - Georgia, USA - JAN 14, 2014 does not count
This beer is freaking great. Strong hoppy flavor, nice bite in the middle of the taste, and smells wonderful! This is a must drink beer!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
eaglefan538 (2902) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - FEB 10, 2014
Ticked this before but never rated. Not sure why. Iíve had cases before and two kegs of it. Funny how that happens. Pour is orange in color, always a nice generous white to off-white colored head, solid retention, some ringed lacing too. The aroma is citrus, pine, tropical fruits, faint spicey notes. Flavor follows, grapefruit rind-like bitterness, the tropical, peachy lighter fruits (berries even?) all do wonders for this thing. Darn, this thing is beautifully bitter at the same time. Full body, moderate carbonation. A delight, a studly IPA, among my top 3 or 5 area-obtainable IPAs in life.... ever....