Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 497   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 107   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
100 IBUs
Bottled Version: 107 IBUs, 10%

Prepare to walk the plank to an Ale of overwhelming proportions. More hops & more malts than any land lubber can handle. After this experience...your tongue will be buckled. The I.B.U.ís (International Bitterness Units) are off the scale on this ale. Be forewarned, those with a timid palate, this is not a wee beer! Handcrafted in small batches for those sailing the seas in search of great ales.

bnokk (476) - Lee, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 16, 2015
APPEARANCE - beautiful dark amber color - totally comes through as a red. Head runs for the hills, but the lacing has real persistence. NOSE - west coast hops dominate the nose of this beauty. FLAVOR - thick resin notes stay on my tongue long after the sip. Exceptionally flavorful. NOTES - as expected, ballast point delivers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
miyauchi38 (1096) - chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 23, 2015
インペリアル&# レッドエール&

dtdtdtdtdt (28) - - JUL 11, 2015
Great. Aroma of hops and toasted grain. Redish brown. Taste cedar, roast beef, grapefruit, bitter, mild sweetness, earthy. Medium/thicker mouthfeel. Little alcohol taste for a 10 percenter. Outstanding.

MetalNHopHead (1463) - Lincoln, Nebraska, USA - AUG 28, 2016
California isnít short on heavily hopped red ales, so itís lucky I have lots of love to give. Tongue Buckler has an appropriately subtle name for its mild manners. Deep red pour. Rich, creamy suds. Caramel malt and piney hop aromatics. Big flavor profiles coming from both malt and hops. Toffee, pine, and bitter citrus. Alcohol flavoring is entirely hidden, but youíll definitely feel it after downing a bomber. For anyone who like the whole American Strong Ale / Imperial Red thing, this certainly works.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
21iceman40 (1735) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 25, 2003
This was a very good amber ale. I really like the stuff there making at ballast point, i just wish they would make more. Hoppy, nice color. This is a solid brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
collegebeerguy (9) - Salem, Oregon, USA - APR 16, 2004 does not count
This is the Bitter of Bitters. Although not a particular fan of the strong hops, I must admit...this is a great beer. Mike at Ballast Point knows his stuff!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jimrockford (63) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 2, 2006
Aroma: medium caramel malt aroma, high citrus hop aroma low fruit raison flavor Appearance: cloudy amber to brown, medium tan head Flavor: slight sweet slight fruit heavy hop and malt little toast. Palate: Full body creamy and soft carbonation finish long Overall: Excellent Ballast Point buckles the toung in a perfect way between hops and malt, any more and it would be overdone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ChazMania (668) - Oceanside, California, USA - MAY 12, 2009
Bomber purchased at Stone Bistro. I had this with a big new york steak and it was incredible. This beer is huge and reminds me of the Double Bastard. I had already had a Ruination and something else, so it was a risk for me to order this big 10% killer. I made it a little more than half way through, savoring every small pour, the huge aroma and the over the top killer flavor. I knew I had to drive back to our hotel a good 20 miles so I told my wife "I have to give the last half of this away" so I found a table of guys and gave it to them, they seemed stoked. I looked for this the next day at 2 different high end beer shops but didnít find it. I would love to taste this again without the concern of driving. Ballast Point has made a killer beer here.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
LtDan (1806) - Los Angeles County, California, USA - MAY 21, 2009
Appearance: Pours a dark, yet clear amber with an impressive, dense creamy head. Aroma: Danky and sweet hops, sweet malts, and rock sugar candy. Taste: Peppery bitterness, sugary sweetness, finishes with an ultra agressive level of more hop bitterness and a sticky sweet grainy finish. Also of note, flavors that remind me of hot alcohol like Gin or Whiskey. Mouthfeel: Thin yet sticky. Overall: I have a feeling this beer grew up with Double Bastard, or atleast they went to summer camp together. Very bitter, very spicy, not too sticky, and dangerously drinkable after the first few sips, due to its sweetness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DalzAle (2026) - Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA - MAY 23, 2009
Bottle from Snojerk321(Thanks!). Pour was amber with plenty of carbonationand smelled of caramel and bitter hops. Flavor was pine hops, bitter tea, with some caramel and bitter citrus. Finished strong and boozy, but very well balanced. Need to get more of this! Trade for this even if remotely interested!!!