overall

RATINGS: 722   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.99   IBU: 23   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Editor’s Note: Previously known as Yellowtail Pale Ale

The beer that launched Ballast Point. Our original Pale Ale is a rich golden brew, crafted with aromatic German hops and rounded out with a blend of American and Munich malts. While it’s hopped like a lager, we ferment it like an ale to create a smooth, bright taste that has just a hint of fruit and spice. It’s extremely drinkable, like a Kolsch should be, yet complex, like a good craft beer demands.

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - AUG 9, 2006
Pours golden w/ medium sized creamy froth. Aroma is pure and fresh. Medium nectar w/ creamy soft residual effers. Flavors are uncommonly mellow with a fresh and clean fruit character. There is very little bitterness here, just slightly on the finish. As I was drinking it I was surprised how the flavor profile insisted on such a mellow disposition. I could drink this all day long. Now that I am writing this, I see the commercial description and it explains everything. It’s a Kolsch. Overall: I really like this brew. The flavors are bright and clean yet soft and creamy. I highly recommend this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
heemer77 (5187) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - AUG 4, 2006
Bottled. The body was dark gold with a white colored head. The aroma was sweet oranges with some flowers. The taste was bitter bread crust with some with oranges. There was also some bell pepper. The finsih was nice and spicy. Nice to fins a hoppy version of this style.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
marcus (7672) - Sacramento, California, USA - JUL 29, 2006
On tap at Ballast Point. This golden ale poured with a thin white head. The flavor is crisp and clean with a carbonated hoppy finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
iowaherkeye (2698) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - JUL 14, 2006
22oz bomber, no date. Pours a clear golden with a one finger white head. Aroma has the fruity crispness of wheat, light biscuity malts. Taste is much the same--not bad, but pretty bland. Barely any discernible bitterness, if even that much. Highly carbonated, watery mouthfeel. Nothing standout about this one.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
bdjames29 (273) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUL 2, 2006
Draft - The Fish Market - San Diego. Bartender gave it praise and I trusted him - shouldn’t have. Rate Beer lists it as a kolsh - of which I have had a few that I thoroughly enjoyed. Ballast Point calls it Pale Ale - of which I have had a few that I thoroughly enjoyed. This beer was as confused as the people trying to label it. I’m not messing around on this one -PASS.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
greenhorn1 (850) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - JUN 25, 2006
Not what I was expecting. The label states Pale Ale and it definitely is not your typical Pale Ale. It pours a clear light strawcolor with high carbonation and littlet to no head and no lacing. The 22 oz bottle that I have must contain wheat, you can smell the fruity aroma. Light bodied with a nice hop balance. It was in the high 90’s today, so the beer went done nicely.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
FlacoAlto (3884) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JUN 10, 2006
Pours a brilliantly clear, light copper color and is topped by a two-finger thick, frothy, light tan colored head. This beer has a light, herbal, lemon-like hoppy aroma to it. As I dig around a bit deeper in the nose I get an interesting aroma of something like cinnamon.

The beer has a fairly light taste to it, in fact it is almost completely dry. The hops almost get it a tangy tartness though and there is a noticeable herbal hop character found throughout this beer. The flavor almost reminds me of those exotic, yet mellow, basils (e.g. cinnamon basil), but that is not quite it. A light lemon-like note is here as well as some spicy hop notes. This is not your typical American Pale Ale, but I really like its hop leanings. Light and quaffable as well and it makes for an easy drinking 22oz bottle.

<font size=-4>Purchased at: <a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Place/arizona/scottsd Brewing Co, Scottsdale, AZ<font size=-1>

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 20, 2006
Uninspired effort from a really good brewer. Overly spritzy mouthfeel and carbonation can’t quite hide the timid flavor profile...caramel malt and a touch of fruitiness. Drinkable, but not very exciting.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Bockyhorsey (2610) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - MAY 19, 2006
12oz Bottle: Aroma of wheat, corn and bread. Goldbody color with white disipating head. Flavor was just like if I had a miller lite or bud light. Had this one after comming in from 100 degree temp. outside and thought I was getting something refreshing.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Padron4KM (690) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - MAY 2, 2006
12 oz bottle, no freshness date.
clear golden with a frothy white head, lively carbonation. Decent lacing.
Sweet and grainy malt aromas.
Lightly sweet, grainy with a light crisp bitter finish. Decent