RATINGS: 808   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.18/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
A strong lager beer with a taste close to classic lager varieties. The flavor is light and there is a suggestion of malt, together with sweetish notes and mild hops bitterness.
Ingredients: water, light barley malt, maltose syrup and hops.
Produced since 1998. 16.5°

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
hershiser2 (1570) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - FEB 2, 2004
Almost a neon-yellow color, with a nice-sized white head. Lots of lacing. Has a distinct "beer" smell... nothing new here, just the same old smell that's been around since beer was born. Nice taste... smooth and easy, with a bit of a bitter kick. Not bad at all. Good, fizzy mouthfeel. It's pretty drinkable... I have no complaints about drinking this, and would welcome another (but only if someone gave me one).

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
smoosh (536) - New Albany, Indiana, USA - JAN 31, 2004
Bottle: slight malt in the nose. A little past prime? Looks like a fizzy American standard. Highly carbonated - borderline fizzy. Not a lot of flavor. Some malt in the finish. Not bad for what it seems to be - a Russian attempt at an American Standard. I'd drink 2 of these before any one of the real things!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Hildigöltur (5104) - Křbenhavn, DENMARK - JAN 24, 2004
Golden coloured. Clean and slightly sweet with fruity notes. Some alcoholic notes.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
JorisPPattyn (8795) - Ursel, BELGIUM - DEC 30, 2003
Little white head, good carbonation; pale yellow, clear beer. Nose : grain, chalk, sweet malt, cookies. Almondy bitter-sweet taste. Alcohol contributes to the taste. Harsh finish. Medium bodied. Some alcoholburn. Almondy bitterness is a shure sign of young, raw alcohol in spirits. I wonder what it means here. Terribly unrefined.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
jbrus (4991) - Delft, NETHERLANDS - DEC 30, 2003
Malts and light hopperfume aroma. Pale yellow color, white rocky head, few lace. Sweet, alcoholic, some malts, some bitterness, hint of orange, light syrupy. I think this is more European Strong Lager than a Malt Liquor. Brewed to get drunk, but technically even under average.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
ElGaucho (2329) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - DEC 23, 2003
I could have sworn I drank, and rated, this during the first of my 3 visits to Russia in 2003, but alas, my rating is not here. So, I picked up another bottle during my 3rd visit. Sweet lager aroma with noticeable alcohol in the nose. Some folks may not realize that Baltika has a method to their beer numbering madness. The higher the number the higher the alcohol. Baltika 1 is their light and and Baltika 0 is their non-alcoholic. Pale gold in appearance with lots of visible carbonation. Excelent lace. Poured in the proper glassware, this brew has somewhat of an elegant appearance. Strong alcohol profile. Good. A little harsh and unrefined, which is not uncharacteristic of many Russian beers.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
jfm (1724) - Holbćk, DENMARK - DEC 9, 2003
Light golden color with a decent white head. The taste is kind of watery with notes of light malts and light sweet hops. Finishes with notes of alcohol.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
SirTom (89) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - DEC 5, 2003
Pretty terrible. The first and possibly the last russian beer I will try. * Had this at a beer club meeting with many other beers, hence I don't remember all my comments - only the ratings which I wrote down at the time.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 4/20
Jedsbrew (465) - Rhineland, Missouri, USA - DEC 4, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 25, 2004 Medium gold in color with a moderate fizzy head and an aroma that was somewhat fruity and boozy. Light to medium bodied and sweet, with a doctors office alcohol presence and a few hops in the background. The finish was slightly bitter and the alcohol lingered. I read somewhere that for health reasons the Russian government is trying to encourage the populace to switch from vodka to beer, and that may be a reasonable goal, but I don't think they're going to solve anything serving this stuff.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TheBeerGod (5686) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - NOV 21, 2003
Pours a translucent gold. Spider-webby tall white head. Nose is malt and light alcohol but I could swear I smell a hint of cinnamon. The taste is a suped up lager with more malt, sugar and alcohol. It's not bad, just not complex or creative. I was hoping for a more extreme European beer a la Eku 28 or Urbock 23 but got a Pilsener Urquell on steroids. Decent, but their porter is MUCH better.