overall

RATINGS: 791   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.17   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
A strong lager beer with a taste close to classic lager varieties. The flavor is light and there is a suggestion of malt, together with sweetish notes and mild hops bitterness.
Ingredients: water, light barley malt, maltose syrup and hops.
Produced since 1998. 16.5°

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DJMonarch (9165) - Northwich, Cheshire, ENGLAND - MAR 12, 2006
Bottle at Oakwood High School, Rotherham 22/02/2003 Clear golden coloured strong in alcohol and hoppy. Creamy finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jpm30 (1587) - East Central, Georgia, USA - MAR 26, 2006
From a 1pt. 9oz. brown bottle with a best before on the front label, 31/05/06. Made an impressive appearance, poured an clear pale straw golden with a foamy, billowing white head that slowly settle into a clingy, foamy, thin pancake-like lacing, good carbonation. Had a grainy alcohol nose with some floral hoppiness and some faint grassiness. A crisp, biting coarse mouth feel, above average drinkability. Lager husky grainy and lemon grass hoppy taste with a little floral hoppiness, a mild bitterness, some alcohol warmth on the tongue and a crisp, sweet grainy malty finish. I admit, I like the lagers I’ve had from Baltika, they are not world beaters, but they are decent, affordable lagers, well worth trying.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
kimcgolf (872) - Dacula, Georgia, USA - AUG 2, 2006
Not sure if I’m rating the same beer as everyone else. This one has a red label, and says "#9 Strong Lager". Since I found no others to match. I’ll rate this. I was actually impressed with this beer, much more so than the Baltika #6 Porter. The flavor, while not real recognizable, was smooth and left a good finish. If this really is the same beer, it was a far cry above the Schlitz (Bull) Malt Liquor I drank as a kid, and I must say I actually enjoyed this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Jwasciuk (198) - Lowell, Michigan, USA - MAR 6, 2007
A plesent surprise for the price. Pours sparkling medium yellow. Complex aroma, cookies, flowers, with leather and apple esters. Flavor starts balanced twards sweet, nice malt flavor, apple overtones, and peppery. Light to medium bodied, watery and creamy, softly carbonated.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Allie (40) - USA - OCT 28, 2007
OK, most people don’t seem to like this very well, but I don’t mind being in a minority. I like the design a lot--the brown bottle with the big 9 is unforgettable. It poured with a thin, foamy head that sank quickly. The body was a clear yellow-gold, nicer than your average pale lager. The aroma was sweetish and yeasty, quite nice to my nose. The flavor was a lot richer and more interesting than most lagers: fruity and a little wheaty, almost hefeweizen-like but without the bloatiness I dislike in wheat beers. The palate was OK, not too watery and some warm tickles going down. The 8% ABV is definitely present; this stuff packs a wallop, but I found its other qualities worthwhile too. The dregs were unpleasant, but overall I liked this quite well and will definitely get it again. It’s good value where I am, $2.05 for more than a pint’s worth.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jbuzz (770) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 1, 2008
Single from Gary’s liquor Beautiful clear color with a stiff full head. Very smooth Malt, slightly bitter. With an alcohol after taste. Slightly metallic sent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
GG (2332) - NorCal, California, USA - MAR 19, 2009
Working very hard at trying to complete the Baltika gallery of beers, this one had been staring at me for awhile. So with nothing better to drink (ok, so I had better stuff, but I had to drink this sometime) I went ahead and got down to business. And I’m glad I did. Sure, this beer won’t set the world on fire for its greatness. But it’s damn drinkable, and it’s damned tasty, considering the style. Most malt likka’s are crappola. This was pretty damned good. An aroma of light apple juice, sweet malt, a bit of white wine and a touch corny. It pours out a light yellow color, clear with a few small bubbles here and there, and it all took place under a nice two-finger soap bubble cap. Flavor was smooth, suprisingly sweet almost like some kind of beer/sparkling cider combo. I really couldn’t pick up anything wrong with it, and I drank it at the damned near perfect temp for it. So I guess what you can take out of this review, is that if you are ever in Russia and you need a malt likka to fit in with you Russian homies, then this can fill the void nicely.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Caterwaul (51) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JAN 7, 2013
This is the kind of beer that I REALLY shouldn’t like, but there’s just no helping me sometimes; this tastes just fine to me. Tastes and smells like honey kvass with hops added. It finishes a bit like a bourbon whisky; corny, grainy and a little woody- bracing, but it invites you back in. Nearly amber in color- looks like cheap maple syrup straight from the microwave. This is what I buy when I want to get VERY drunk VERY quickly and not have too much to complain about as far as taste (it’s a little like drinking a loaf of bread, soggy with hard liquor). It warms you up like no other. Gotta be good for that Russian winter.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
GBZ59 (1193) - BARCELONA (Catalonia), SPAIN - MAR 11, 2012
Botella de 500ml.Copa Pokal.Saboreada en mar´12.Color dorado. Corona marfil,cerrada con buena retención.Aromas de moderado malteado,notas de frambuesas y miel.Toques florales.Entrada de malteado dulce con sabores de té afrutado.Lígero amargor en el intermedio con algo de astringencia de piel de manzana. Cuerpo lígero y carbonatación media-alta.El ABV bien camuflado junto a una lupulización enmascarada por los esteres dan como resultado una placentera asimilación.Final malteado y azucarado.Se sugiere maridar con Entrecots salteados a la brasa.500ml bottle.Pokal glass.Enjoyed on mar´12.Golden color.Off white, close, crown.Retention is good.Mildy malty aromas,craspberrie & honey notes. Floral touches.Sweet malty upfront.Fruity tea-like flavor too.Slightly dry bitter in the middle with some apple skin astringency. Light body, medium-high carbonation.ABV well hidden as esters masking hoppiness results in a very pleasant drinkability.Fruty malty finish. Suggested pairing:salty grilled T-bone steaks.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
EtTuCthulhu (1376) - Columbia, Missouri, USA - FEB 15, 2013
The color of this beer is that of a typical pale lager--crisp yellow--with a medium white head, and the aroma of the beer smells strongly of alcohol and lightly of yeast. The taste is slightly sweet but strongly umami, and the palate combines a light body, an oily texture, soft carbonation, and an abrupt finish after a kick soon after swallowing.