Brewed by Banks Barbados Brewery
Style: Pale Lager
Christchurch, Barbados

RATINGS: 453   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.14/5   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Bottle: Filtered
Ingredients: Water, Malted Barley (2-Row British and Australian), Hops (Yakima Clusters and Styrian Goldings), Yeast, Sugar, Corn Syrup
Launched: 1961
Banks Beer, the beer of Barbados, is a premium pilsner style lager with a smooth, fresh aroma and a medium alcohol content. Banks is brewed from a pure classic blend of 2-Row British and Australian malted barleys deliciously flavored by Yakima Clusters and the noble Styrian Goldings aroma hops. It is however Barbados’ water, naturally filtered through limestone rock, along with our own special strain of yeast, which give Banks Beer its unique Bajan character and distinctive quality. Consistently the #1 choice among beer drinkers in Barbados since it was first produced in 1961.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
glennmastrange (2489) - hobe sound, Florida, USA - APR 7, 2009
Bottle. Light aromas of hay for the malt, herbs for the yeast, with hints of white wine, honey and cooked corn. Head is average size, fizzy, white with fair lacing and is mostly diminishing. Color is sparkling clear gold. Flavor starts lightly acidic and finishes slightly sweet. Palate is light, between watery and dry and has a fizzy carbonation. Not bad at all. Refreshing with some good taste.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
doboy (424) - Morehead City, North Carolina, USA - MAR 22, 2009
Mom and dad brought back this little offering from the islands. Pours yellow, clear and carbonated! Light head disipates to nothing. Aroma is there, like you would get from a European beer, somewhat musky. Mouthfeel is good, flavor is so so, some malt and hops, not much aftertaste. Not a favorite, but if I was shipwrecked on Barbados I might drink a bottle or two if there was no rum around!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
SHIG (4060) - Wasilla, Alaska, USA - MAR 12, 2009
Bottle: Poures a clear golden with a carbonated white head. Aroma is sweet and grassy. Taste is smooth with grass and grain flavor. For a pale lager this isn’t so bad.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - MAR 9, 2009
We all know lagers are my most critical beer of choice and probably will be for the rest of my many many many beer drinking days. That being said, I always welcome the chance of a new player to the field of lagerdom to try-out for their place in my beertopia. Did I just make up two words? Maybe, but that is beside the point. What is the point is the Banks Caribbean Lager that sits before me.

Fresh from the Barbados, Banks is the new lager to challenge my tastebud’s high standards. To make her presence known, she pours clear and golden with hints of yellow hay while a huge 2-3 finger head tops of her off. Fading rather quickly into a soft blanket, I raise my glass to partake of a surprisingly pleasing nose of tons of grass, fresh and wet and cut, along with crispy crackers, saltines maybe, and sweet cereal grains. I am rather impressed, so I waste no time going in for my first of many very pleasing quaffs. Sweet with a pleasantly soft mouthfeel, she lightly coats my mouth with honey and wet cut grass with a clean finish. Delving further into her golden depths, sweet grains linger longer, then, like a golden sunset, fades away just in time for my next quaff. As I near the end of our time together, more grass comes into play along with a pleasant nip of hops. Sweet grains, cut grass, dry hay and delicate honey notes with a clean finish makes for one of the most pleasing light lager experiences I have had so far. Consider Banks Caribbean Lager truly is from the Barbados, one of the best island lagers I have enjoyed so far.

I love it when my critical expectations are met by an equally critical and enjoyable palate. Banks Caribbean Lager held up very well to my palate and tastebuds and I recommend her for easy, enjoyable, sessionable quaffing any time of the day, any time of the year. Enjoy.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
Ramenen (466) - San Salvador, EL SALVADOR - FEB 20, 2009
Barbados. What a beautiful island. The beaches are perfect tourquoise water and white sand. The beer is Banks!!!

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
DerWeg (1568) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 8, 2009
Bottle guzzled in Georgetown. Why? I ordered some kind of porter and they gave me this. Thin light and moderately sweet carib lager - bready cereal grain, corn, and faint lemony hops. Kind of harsh after half a bottle. Nice visit do’.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
jsquire (3866) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - FEB 6, 2009
Golden colored beer out of the bottle with a fizzy, white head. Sweet malty nose. Full mouthfeel with a little honey, corn syrup, and some buscuit. There is some chalk and a faint citrus flavor. Not the worst "Caribbean Lager" I’ve had, but still only a thirst quencher.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
vikingguy (968) - Chaska, Minnesota, USA - FEB 4, 2009
Had this in a beach bar in Barbados. Good lager, grainy aroma, light but some malt flavor, slight hoppiness.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
jkwalking05 (4369) - Arlington, Texas, USA - JAN 31, 2009
Pale gold in color with a small white head. Aroma is of grain and is very weak. Taste is of grain, light malt and hops.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
daknole (10350) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - JAN 9, 2009
Bottle from total wine. Aroma is grainy and malty with sweetn notes. Flavor is somewhat sweet with notes of stale cereal and stale bread...blah!