overall
Serve in Shaker, Tumbler

RATINGS: 307   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.21   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
This Golden Sorghum Lager will appeal to beer drinkers who prefer the lighter taste of lagers produced by the major brewers, such as Anheuser-Busch, Coors, Miller, and Heineken. This ale has a light crisp taste to meet the thirst quenching requirements of the lager style while still having enough body to interest the ale drinker during the spring and summer seasons. This beer has low bitterness and a subtle but pleasant hop aroma that will gently caress the senses.

Note: contract brewed for Bard’s Tale Beer (<A HREF=http://www.bardsbeer.com/ TARGET=blank>http://www.bardsbeer.com/).

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - JUL 26, 2005
Pale amber with weak white head. The aroma was hops and malt trying to make their presence felt -- or smelt -- under a heavy blanket of a wet, mossy stench. Watery. Flavor was not vile but simply awful.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 4/20
kujo9 (1093) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - JUL 21, 2005
12 oz bottle: Lightly hazy, ghostly yellowish pale straw color, none of the white head stuck around for the first sniff which turns out to be remeniscent of buttery dishwashing detergent! I’m guessing the light grainy flavor is the sorghum, but I’ve never had it, so I’m not sure. No fruitiness in the flavor, but there is a definite, unripened green apple flavor at first, followed by a bit of bitterness into the finish. Hop flavor is light and herbal, and again, there is a buttery diacetyl in the flavor. I’m also guessing that sorghum tastes slightly like wheat malt. Not much flavor otherwise. Medium carbonation, a bit dry in the mouth, and light bodied. I gotta tell ya, I’m not a big fan of this beer. There’s just a touch too much diacetyl in this for my liking, combined with the dish soap to be at all pleasant to my nose which translates a bunch to my palate.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Miguel (1181) - Saint-Ours, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 20, 2005
Robe blonde dorée très claire. Mousse qui s’estompe très rapidement. Arôme âcre. Beurre, diacétyl. Corps mince. Amertume éloignée.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
egajdzis (5277) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 19, 2005
Poured a dark straw color with a thin white head that left spotty lacing on the glass. Aroma of sweet caramel malt, toffee, and faint citrus. Taste was very bland, I got some caramel covered popcorn, herbs, and a faint hoppiness in the finish. Very watery mouthfeel.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Lubiere (9790) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 19, 2005
Bought at Party Source, July 05. Lightly hazy blonde with brownish chunks. Rather neutral malt aroma with slight marks of burned rubber (*the bottle was heat shocked in my trunk). In mouth, rather refreshing mix of light crisp grass with decent bitterness for the style. Not bad considering its gluten free. A notch above Messagère.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Krausen (102) - USA - JUL 2, 2005
This beer was better than I expected after some of the reviews. It is light but a bit too sweet for my tastes. The nose is slighly hoppy, predominatly spicy noble characteristic. Body is right, but the finish has a very odd flavor that I can not put my finger on. It is somewhat like plastic and unfortuantely it lingers. If you are gluten intollerant and love beer this MIGHT pass.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Cornfield (5460) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - JUN 12, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 21, 2005 When I read of this beer a few months ago, I thought, "What a noble cause. Here’s someone trying to help out beer drinkers who develop an allergy to gluten." Then I bought a sixer of this overpriced brew at a Whole Foods. After reading the inanities on the package (see austinpowers’ review), I was sure that this was just a gimmick. On to the beer - - It pours a hazy straw color with (initially) a bubbly white head and (initially) lively carbonation. Both soon vanish. The aroma is wheaty and corny and oily with little of any sign of the advertised "pleasant hop aroma." This flat drink has an acrid, tinny flavor with a little grainy sweetness and a whisper of light hopping. The aftertaste was metallic and sugary and I had to brush my teeth before having another beer. I would NOT let this warm up. Now I’m not sure if this is a gimmick or a sorry joke.

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/>Whole Foods Market, Willowbrook, IL<font size=-1>

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
sfontain (795) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUN 2, 2005
Pale yellow with a small, white, fizzy head. Aroma is very buttery (I’m suspecting diacetyl) and lightly hoppy with a hint of spice (cloves or something). Flavor is also buttery, very slightly sour, with a nasty, burnt charcoal hop flavor through the finish. Thin. At around $10 per six-pack, this beer is crap.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
sloth (2454) - Ceciltucky, Co., Maryland, USA - MAY 30, 2005
Clear gold/straw color with a medium sized snow white head atop it. Lace and retention are moderate. Nose is citrusy, lightly grainy. Light body, crisp, somewhat creamy. More of ale like mouthfeel than a lager. Is this due to their using sorghum as opposed to barley? Light citrus flavors, spicey and backed by light pale malt flavors. Never expierenced any DMS like others mentioned in their ratings. Finish is dry, quick with a pleasing little bite. If the word sorghum was,nt on the label you would think this was a regular beer brewed with barley. An interesting beer but not worth a repeat at $11 a sixer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - MAY 16, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 10, 2007 I have no idea why this beer has eight words in its name. The "interview" with the beer’s creator on the side of the six pack was idiotic and gave me the impression that this was not a serious craft brew because it only said one thing about the beer (it’s sorghum, not barley!) and instead yammered on about how the guy lived in Hawaii and thought the dragon name was cool and funny. OK. Now to the beer. I really enjoyed the brew’s noticeably different flavor. These guys hit the nail on the head in brewing a beer that is to my taste. Light hop aroma, very little hop flavor. Lightly sweet lager but with enough body you’d think it could be an ale. Most of all, the substitution of sorghum for barley is nothing short of shocking. I’ve never, ever seen a US brewer use sorghum (someone correct me if I’m wrong). That stuff gives a slightly wheaty flavor that’s noticeably sweet and light with some straw flavors. Utterly delicious, and lightly carbonated, too. If those are traits you like in a beer, then Bard’s Tale Beer is for you. Note to Brewer: a name modification (Dragon’s Lair Lager?) and a blurb on the sixpack that indicates the seriousnees with which you apparently DID take this beer will probably help sales. Best of luck to you! It’s magnificent.