Barley Creek Summerfest Lager
     click to upload

RATINGS: 8   MEAN: 3.03/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.99   SEASONAL: Summer   ABV: -

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Dacrza (664) - Great Meadows, New Jersey, USA - JUN 28, 2015
Date: June 28, 2015... Glassware: 22 oz. Pilsner... Occasion: lazy Sunday before Camp Summer number five begins... Appearance: golden orange -yellow body that releases large, sporadic bubbles from the growler...thick, soapy sudsy off-white head settles from two fingers to a cloudy, quarter-inch of a bubbly ring...Aroma: refreshing, slightly citric hints of orange and lemon; cereal and grainy malts make for alager that is not so bready as it is damp and earthy... Palate: lively, welcoming intensity, with a biting aftertaste that is equally refreshing in a lager; not as immediately refreshing as the summertime moniker would suggest, but I will give it time before I make a final judgement...Taste: hops are clear and punchy, with some aromatic herbal overtones; the malts are strong, pitched with some toasted elements and rounded enough not to be abrasive...again, not as summery as suggested, but flexible enough to be enjoyed during this anomaly of a June day (65 degrees!) or a warmer summer afternoon...Overall: a solid but unspectacular offering...I would love to--and probably could have, given the kindness of the bartender who poured my growler--line up their lagers and identify the nuances of each...for now, I will tout this offering as a serviceable beer to pass a Sunday with...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
beerbill (3574) - Laurel, New York, USA - JUN 20, 2012
On draught at the brewpub. Arrived a coppery amber with a thin, somewhat creamy white head that was gone by the second sip. Mild aroma of malt with a few notes of caramel as well. The flavor is malt with some biscuit, with the biscuit lingering well into the aftertaste. A bit abrasive on the palate. So so.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
roder60 (1288) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 4, 2010
Had on draft at the brewery. Poured a nice clear light amber color with slight foamy tan head. Aroma and flavor both were very very biscuty with some caramel and mellow earthy hops. Overall, enjoyable.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
fredandboboflo (1570) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 23, 2009
Tap at the brewpub. Though I was excited to see this had a nice, reddish hue, the aroma and flavor told the real story. Aroma grainy and vaguely caramelly. Flavor very sweet with a hint of hops. Cloying and a bit astringent. Not a winner, I’m shocked I actually scored this as high as I did, but I guess I’ll go by the notes and not my memory of this one...

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
jcwattsrugger (11612) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - JUL 13, 2009
on tap-pours no head and hazy amber color. Aroma is fruity, medium malt, yeast. Taste is fruity, medium malt, yeast, herbal/spice hops.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
LilBeerDoctor (3543) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 3, 2009
On tap at the brewpub. Pours a clear copper with a thick white head. Aroma of sweet sorghum and sugary malt. Flavor of sweet malt (although not as sweet as the aroma). Very watery and pretty awful. I thought this sounded interesting, but I was wrong. Avoid if you can. 5/4/5/3/11 (2.8/5)

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
Phatz (225) - Paradise, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 2, 2006
Appearance: Typical lager color. Caramel brown in color with a frothy head on top. Smell: The smell was a bit hard to find. It was not unpleasant just a very muted caramel malt aroma. Taste: The taste was also a bit thin. It was grainy with a hint of sourdough bread in the finish. I can not say I really enjoyed the aftertaste but it was not bad either. I do think they use the same Bavarian lager yeast in this beer as they do in the Black Lager. It seems to be a middle of the road lager. If you are used to drinking Yuengling Light, then you will enjoy this beer (IMO). Mouthfeel: Light! Basically sums it up. Drinkability: I found this to be an appropriate session beer for a festival if you were just looking for something to drink while playing games. Hope this is helpful. Cheers!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
JFURYCAT (1079) - East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 26, 2006
They basically retooled the Octoberfest recipe and came out with a product which is not as dark and has more of a floral flavor and creamy texture. If it weren’t for the bubbles I saw in my plastic cup, I could have mistook this for a Pepsi as far as color os concerned. The caramel and hop flavors from Octoberfest are here but toned down and mixed with some bittersweet grassy flavors. That mixture seems somewhat off balance. I would say the creaminess is the best part.