overall

RATINGS: 379   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13   EST. CALORIES: 390   ABV: 13%
The Dark Knight - For those not yet familiar, the Dark Knight (yes, it is a Batman reference) is our double fermented Old 8 porter, aged in a bourbon barrel for 6 months. Double fermented refers to a second "feeding" of various sugars to increase the alcohol content as well as bolster the flavor. Chocolate, coffee, charcoal and bourbon, familiar notes from the previous batch return in this years incarnation of the DK. Served in a 5 oz pour, the bourbon note from this tap is very prominent as it is a first time use of a Jim Beam barrel.

The Dark Knight Returns - The same profile as the Dark Knight, however, since this is a second time usage of the barrel, the bourbon note is less prominent and the beer as a result is more rounded and balanced.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SubstanceT (1092) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 20, 2004
Oh my Oh my, what a beer. Thanks a lot go out to BrooklynBoy (Edward). Okay, here is the deal, Baltic Porters just dont do it for me. In fact, In many cases I would rather just be kicked in the back of the head than drink a Porter anything. Sure, I have had good ones before but after having this, I dont think that I really enjoyed those past ones. This is the absolute-unquestioned champion of porters. In fact, just get rid of all other porters because they just dont have the right to exist up next to this thing. Now, onto the rating. Dark as night with a thin tan head. The nose was wow alcohol with a huge blow of malts and fruit (cherry syrup). The taste is alcohol through and through with oak and bourbon floating around in there. Alcohol destroys the body very heavy but great. Maybe too much for some people, but the way this thing goes I dont think you can have enough. I am in awe with this thing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - DEC 20, 2004
From a growler. Pours out jet black. Delayed tan head. Aroma was intensely alcoholic, notes of chocolate and vanilla and some cherry. Almost no carbonation, medium to full bodied. Smooth and almost syrupy in the mouth. The taste was more of spirits than beer. That warm feeling in the esophagus as it goes down. Taste of dark chocolate and whiskey. This was a good drink but way too expensive.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jgb9348 (5124) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - DEC 17, 2004
Dark brown coloured body with a thin light brown head that stays for the duration of the beer. Aroma of pure scotch (whiskey), roasted malt and strong wood (oak). Medium-bodied; Strong oaky flavour with scotch and toffee floating by. Overall, one of the best beers of the evening and one I was really happy i got to sample! Thank you to whomever brought this beer-I never got to thank you in person! I sampled this beer poured from tap into a twelve ounce bottle (if my memory serves me correctly) at the November RB party at Founder’s in Alexandria, Virginia on 20-November-2004.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - DEC 13, 2004
I’ve had Perkuno’s Hammer on tap and found the experience to be one of the most enjoyable I’ve had as a beer lover. So I am definitly a fan of the style. This version, however, was a let down both because I enjoy the style and because of the hype. Because of its thinness on the palate and over the top alcohol vapor in the nose this could have passed as a liquor. There was so much alcoholic vanilla that if someone had blindfolded me and had me taste it, I might have thought it was meant for cooking, not quaffing. I tried to take small sips and let it sit in my mouth. I tried a gulp to see if I could get into it that way. Nope. Just boozy. I prefer Perkuno’s (or Synebrychoff for that matter) with less alcohol and a much bigger and stickier malt profile.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
mkobes (2142) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - DEC 12, 2004
Thanks Eric. Dark brown in color with a nice tan head. Rich malty aroma with some chocolate. Palate is thin. Dry finish. Enjoyable beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hopdog (9994) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 11, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 20, 2006 Shared hand bottled from mid-west courtesy of egajdzis (thanks!). This arrived via UPS as we were sitting around enjoying other beers. Poured a very dark black color with a small brown head. Aromas and tastes of dark fruits (plums and raisins), vanilla, apples, and a little woody and smokey. Sweet. Molasses. A lot going on here.9 4 8 4 17

Retasted from Growler I acquired in a trade on BA. Aromas of vanilla, wood, raisins, prunes, light bourbon, and caramel. Tastes of stong raisins and plums, light bourbon, vanilla, some wood and coffee. On the sweet side but not cloyingly sweet. Increased the numbers a little bit. My only downside is how much $ it is per Growler!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - DEC 11, 2004
Thanks Eric. This arrived in the middle of our wild tasting session. Hand bottled by a mid-west rater. Dark brown, tan head. Rich malty "smarties" aroma, with some apples and chocolate. Thinish malty chocolate malt palate. Plum and prune as well. Dry finish. This is a real winner.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
chriso (7513) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - DEC 5, 2004
Very intense black colour. Viscous, oily consistency. This is certainly a big beer. A bit of a melting pot. I picked up vanilla, candy sugar, bubblegum, raisins, treacle, soy sauce, coffee and more. But, sorry guys, I just wasn’t as blown away by it as most of the others. It a good beer, but it was just a touch sweet for me. Admittedly, I only got a small taster and I’d like to try it again, but there’s no great likelihood of that happening any time soon. Bottle (from the growler) at DC gathering.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Hairofthedog (419) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 5, 2004
Mapley sweet and slight barnyard on the nose, minor chocolate aftertaste and whiskey tones w/ peaches. Full bodied and very dark reddish opaque w/ blood red accents.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
ztrvz (218) - st paul, Minnesota, USA - DEC 5, 2004
smells like irish cream. tastes like..... coffee with lots o’ irish cream. smooth mocha flavors with a thick, milky palate. rating from memory sucks. this beer was fantastic... i’ll head back for it again.