overall

RATINGS: 28   MEAN: 3.58/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.43   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 14   EST. CALORIES: 198   ABV: 6.6%
Until Barley’s Christmas Ale was born, we stuck strictly to the essential ingredients of beer: malt, hops, water and yeast.

When it came time to brew Barley’s Christmas Ale though, we drop everything we’re doing, grab some chairs (and beers!) and sit around zesting oranges while we chat. We add them and fresh young ginger, whole cinammon sticks and organic honey to the brew. It’s hard not to get cheerful when doing such a special task.

Barley’s Christmas Ale has become a tradition around these parts. We have received many communications from fans around the country thanking us for brewing this classic.

Just a few snippets...

"Barley’s Christmas Ale is the reason I come home for the holidays!" --Pittsburgh

"Drinking this ale puts a person into the festive spirit. My husband and I celebrated the holidays drinking this ale- now 9 months later, we have the outcome. :)" --Columbus

And this email that came in recently...

"Dear Barleys,

I owe you a long overdue thank you for your Christmas Ale. I’ve been coming there and getting my jugs filled with that delicious ale for several years now. I look forward all year to when your Christmas Ale returns. It has been a favorite brew of mine for many years.

My holiday season officially starts at the moment I pour that first pint and take the first sip.

I usually leave a pint for Santa on Christmas Eve and awake to find the glass empty and a few extra treats in my stocking.

He’s a big fan. Thanks again!"

Happy Holidays from everyone at Barleys.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
TheTsunami (162) - Arizona, USA - JAN 24, 2003
The original version of the winter warmer. Not for those that aren't into heavily spiced beers. Nose of spices and orange. Follows thru in the flavor. Very unique. Of the 3 years I have had, I think the 2001 version was the best.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
edden (925) - cow- lumbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 29, 2002
12/28/02: on tap at the smokehouse. small rim of head which diminishes quickly (lipstick may have been the culprit here!) minor amount of carbonation. no lacing. light cinnamon nose. very light, clean taste with evidence of lots of spice- cinnamon and orange in particular. in my opinion not a bad beer, but no comparison to Barley’s Winter Warmer! cheers.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
stephen (308) - California, USA - DEC 5, 2002
Not as good this year as years past. A little thin, very heavy on the ginger. Spicy hopping. Served too cold. Malt liquor nose and flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - NOV 26, 2002
Warm Holiday goodness! This is fantastic beer! For the first time in a long time I actually had two glasses of the same beer in a row! A grand mix of different spices; nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, allspice maybe? This is a beautiful beer - if you have a weekend free - make the trip to Barley’s for this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Dogbrick (8950) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - NOV 22, 2002
400 beers and no end in sight. Tasted at Barley’s 10th Anniversary Party on November 21st. I have been waiting awhile to try this one, especially since I have heard tales of people visiting family in Columbus over the holidays just to get this beer. While I was a little let down, it was still a very good seasonal. Dark amber color. Spiced aroma of ginger with some hops. A little thinner than I would have hoped, and I think I should have let it warm a little to let the flavor come out more. Either way I will get another shot because I took home a growler.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Darkover (1524) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - NOV 21, 2002
Spice aroma and flavor. Dark amber color.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Panzuriel (1378) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - AUG 17, 2002
This beer had spices that were very similar to italian sausage spices. You don’t notice that at first, and when you do, it’s a little disconcerting.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gunshy (479) - Ohio, USA - JUL 25, 2002
One of the most popular beers this brewery offers. Pours out a nice copper/amber color. Nice aroma of spice and slight citrus. It has a very interesting flavor and hides it’s alcohol content very well. Of course this can come back to haunt you later.