Barleys J. Scott Francis ESB

Barleys J. Scott Francis ESB
     click to upload
overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 31   MEAN: 3.7/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.54   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Our Extra-Special Bitter is one of our most prestigious offerings, brewed in tribute to the founder of micro-brewing in these parts - our master brewer. Brewed with all imported ingredients, our ESB is big brother to our Pale Ale and was the first that we cask-conditioned.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
bobark (10) - - MAR 1, 2013
I don’t even like the style...but this is fantastic. Granted it is a very Americanized version of the British style, but I feel it has finally been done right.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
JStax (2980) - Devola/Marietta, Ohio, USA - JUN 25, 2012
Poured on draft. Hazy gold to copper color with a sticky white head of foam. Aroma is a a nice mix of citrus fruity bitterness, and a caramel malt backbone. Taste is mildly earthily bitter. Not bad.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
chriso (7352) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - MAR 6, 2011
On tap at Barleys Ale House #1, Columbus OH, on 12 March 2010. Amber colour. No head. Very little condition. Sweetish. Lots of caramel malt character. Also had some sour notes and a little toilet cleaner / bleach. Not very impressed. A bit sickly. I wonder whether this was a bit stale as other reviews seem very positive. In fact, although I didn’t note it at the time I suspect this was actually from a cask that was past its best. Will try again if I ever get back to Barleys.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
JaBier (4888) - Capital City, Ohio, USA - APR 13, 2010
On tap at the Alehouse. Pours a clear reddish copper with a medium beige head. Light aroma of English malt and dank earthy hop. English malt flavor with caramel and a semi-bitter finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Rastacouere (6128) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 6, 2008
Objectively speaking: An alright ESB which I was sure I had mistaken for another when I saw this was one of the USA’s ahemm... the world’s highest rated.
I like: I must say it was possibly the finest glass I had at Barley’s number 1. Nize hazy orange looks. Fitting very lightly carbonated texture. Good balance between sweetness and dryness.
I dislike: Quite one-dimensional, soft and citrusy flavours (think orange) with gentle earthiness from the English hops. Juicy, yet with fair growing bitterness. Quite fresh, but not particularly inspiring, lacking any real fruity developments and avoiding the whole toasty range.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
1010 (309) - Midlothian, Virginia, USA - SEP 27, 2008
on tap at the alehouse. Pours a amber color with a white head. Nice fruity hops and very drinkable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrHomolka (761) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 3, 2008
Cask, alehouse. Pours a deep amber color with a nice compact, cask-aled white head. Aroma is fruity, floral hops perfectly integrated with a nice deep maltiness underneath. Everything about this beer is nicely balanced, including the aroma. Taste is sweet yet bitter, fruity and hoppy though strongly malty. Very nice creamy mouthfeel. Drinkability is extremely high - I could drink this all night. The cask fits this beer extremely well. Great.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
kp (10886) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - SEP 1, 2007
Date: 10/16/1998
Mode: Firkin
Source: Brewfest, Real Ale Festival

copper, wonderful sweet malty aroma with fresh hops, very light body, light bittering. quaffable
-------- /> Date: 03/19/2006
Mode: growler

clear amber, whispy head, light floral hop aroma, light lace, lightly sweet carmel malt flavor, nice long bitter finish,

Aroma: 5/10; Appearance: 6/10; Flavor: 6/10; Palate: 5/10; Overall: 12/20
Rating: 2.9/5.0
Drinkability: 8/10
Score: *4

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
spector (906) - Lancaster, Ohio, USA - APR 9, 2007
On tap at Barley’s Smokehouse.Had a very soapy aroma.Pours light copper with a light off white head.Lots of malt with some slight hops in the flavor.Medium mouthfeel with a bitter finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
sliffy (2040) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 5, 2007
Cask @ Smokehouse: Pours copper in color with an off white head. Aroma, light citrus, caramel, some bready notes. Flavor, floral, some citrus, a spice to it, nice malty backbone, really nice beer.