Barley’s Pale Ale
     click to upload
overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 66   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.32   IBU: 27   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Pale Ale is not, in fact, pale. Most of you know this because you’ve been drinking it for years.

Ever wonder why it’s called that, then?

It’s because in the day, most beers were dark, unfiltered, even unsettling in appearance. That didn’t matter, because ale was consumed in leather or stoneware vessels.

With the the invention of glass, brewers were comelled to make beer that looked more appetizing. They found the answer in the use of isinglass, the swimbladder of sturgeon, which when dried, worked well to remove suspended solids in beer.

Brewers then experimented with lighter hued ales to further enhance appearance.

That’s a long way to say pale ale is pale -- compared to the porters and stouts that proceeded it.

At Barley’s, we use only British malt in our Pale Ale, as well as British hops. We think it makes a difference you can taste.This is the beer that started it all for us, and we’ve been brewing it continually without interruption since the day we opened.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
frankenkitty (1971) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - JUL 24, 2007
Deep whisky color with an off-white halo above. Aroma of honeyed lemon tea. Thick-bodied with an effervescent tingle. English in demeanor with a bittersweetness that rings of an EPA. Light rye with malts and citrus. Very nice and thoroughly sessionable. Can this not be classified otherwise? I mean, even look at the commercial description.

<font size=-4>On draught at <a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Place/ohio/columbus/b Barleys’s Ale House #1, Columbus, Ohio 43215</font>

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
BeerVirgin72 (880) - Pickerington, Ohio, USA - MAY 3, 2007
Had on draft at Alehouse. Poured a very pretty amber color. No head upon arrival. Nice taste of citrus and malts with a slightly bitter finish. Decent Pale Ale. Not my favorite style, but good!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
sliffy (2040) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 25, 2007
Draft @ the alehouse: Copper colored pour with an off white head. Aroma, floral and citrus hops, some pale malts. Flavor, bready and pale malts, up front, some light earthy and citrus hop notes. Solid pale, nothing special.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jvittorio4187 (255) - Boardman, Ohio, USA - APR 4, 2007
Nice hop aroma. Deep amber color. Centenial hop presence, lingering finish. Overall, good for a pale ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
shigadeyo (3165) - Harrison, Ohio, USA - NOV 14, 2006
Sampled from tap and cask on 11/08/2006 at Barleys Smokehouse (Ale House #2)... Regular Tap version: Amber color. Creamy, off-white colored crown. Aroma and flavor are toffee/caramel malt. Lots of malt in the taste, as well as a light bitterness. Smooth and creamy in the mouth. CASK version: Hazy amber color. Aroma reminds me of sweet peaches. The flavor is sweet and tangy, with a hint of yeast. Very mellow and smooth in the mouth, but slightly watery. I think the cask version is much better than the "regular" version...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
Braudog (5972) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - OCT 26, 2006
Draft at the brewpub, 10/23/06: Nice visual draw ... deep amber with a poofy head. Not much past that. Vapid -- virtually no flavor. Body is good, otherwise just an even-keeled beer. Probably sells well, though. Light floral finish. The more I drank, though, the more I liked ... settled into a decent session beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Aurelius (4592) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - AUG 16, 2006
Clear, medium woody brown, ringing thin head. Orange malty aroma. Nicely bittered, medium sweet at first then drying out. Bittering seems powdery at timees. Aftertaste is faint chocolate in the high palate, bitter on the side of the tongue. Nice balance with some character.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
kujo9 (1094) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - JUL 19, 2006
On tap @ the brewery 5/9/06, cask version: Cloudy chesnut brown w/ a lasting cream colored head of tiny, tight foam. Herbal hop aroma @ first w/ a light iced tea aroma. Medium caramel malt balances hop aromas pretty well. Lightly toasty malt, and highly fruity as well as a mis placed yeasty phenolic, like a Belgian pale ale. Also a hint of nuttiness. the Flavor starts off a bit sweet and becomes highly fruity and dries out toward the finish & aftertaste, but still remains lightly sweet. Some light herbal hop mid palate, light bready yeast, and also a plum fruitiness from what seems to be the yeast. A mild bitterness finally starts to creep into the aftertaste about 1/2 way through the pint. Low carbonation as expected from a cask, smooth, medium body, with a tiny touch of alcohol. I like the beer, but it doesn’t seem like a great pale ale, unless you’re expecting a Belgian pale. I’m not sure where the phenolic and plum fruitiness comes from, but it’s a bit out of place for an American pale. Like I said, I like it, but not what I expected.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
thebaldwizard (1205) - Ohio, USA - JUL 6, 2006
Not a bad pale ale. My review could be biased due to the fact that I had the IPA right before this one--so it just couldn’t match up. The taste is still very good, and the aromas are nice. The mouthfeel was a little thin, but not poor. A very solid pale ale--this coming from a guy who doesn’t like them--so a big compliment from me."

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - OCT 28, 2005
Actually, I headed out to the Smokehouse with the intent of trying the “Hobgoblin” for my first “Firkin Friday” experience. However, much to my regret, the bartender informed me that I was about 2 hours 2 late. Gahh!! No one told me. So I made the best of it, and tried some of this from the cask. The first thing I noticed as the brew was brought to me, was the amazing cascade. The tall frothy beige head is fully lasting. The brew is a cloudy dark honey amber. The nose is open, fresh and clean. Though softer than I would expect from the style, notes of pine and spruce are present. The warmth accompanies a wonderful balance. The finish though tame, does present some complexity. The medium to full body is creamy and soft. The finish feels slightly astringent. Would make quite the session offering.
Earlier Rating: 11/30/2003 Total Score: 4.2
Pours a dark copper with ruby highlights. The large frothy off white head is mostly lasting with fair lacing. The nose is perfume, pine and citrus with some slight clove tones. The flavor is dominated with a moderate citrus acidity and the finish is long and bitter. The medium creamy body is lively and finishes clean. Good solid session brew. Goes great with the Turkey Gumbo at the Smokehouse.