Barley’s Pale Ale
     click to upload
overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 66   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.32   IBU: 27   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Pale Ale is not, in fact, pale. Most of you know this because you’ve been drinking it for years.

Ever wonder why it’s called that, then?

It’s because in the day, most beers were dark, unfiltered, even unsettling in appearance. That didn’t matter, because ale was consumed in leather or stoneware vessels.

With the the invention of glass, brewers were comelled to make beer that looked more appetizing. They found the answer in the use of isinglass, the swimbladder of sturgeon, which when dried, worked well to remove suspended solids in beer.

Brewers then experimented with lighter hued ales to further enhance appearance.

That’s a long way to say pale ale is pale -- compared to the porters and stouts that proceeded it.

At Barley’s, we use only British malt in our Pale Ale, as well as British hops. We think it makes a difference you can taste.This is the beer that started it all for us, and we’ve been brewing it continually without interruption since the day we opened.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Birdiebeagle (958) - Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 25, 2009
Draft@ Barleys Pours a good clear amber with small off white head. The head leaves quickly but laced well. Has okay aromas of malt, spices, and a little bit of hops. Has a decent carbination. A pretty good mouthfeel. The flavors were light and well represented but lacked some boldness. Has a medium body. A pretty good finish. A watery texture and an okay aftertaste. Not my favorite one they brew but good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
edden (925) - cow- lumbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 29, 2002
12/28/02: on tap at the smokehouse. not much aroma. a bit darker than your average pale ale- nice color, in fact. minimal head with lacing. small amount of dish soap taste (this is not a negative comment, it is how hops taste to me at times.) pretty tame beer which includes a bit of a hoppy taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mike67 (924) - , New Jersey, USA - SEP 11, 2012
On tap at the brewery. Pours dark amber with a white head. Aroma is of ripe fruit, bready and caramel malt, hints of citrusy hops. Body is medium and crisp. Herbal, piney hops are balanced on the palate by bready and caramel malt and hints of fruit. Finish is long and bitter. This brew is more like amber ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
BeerVirgin72 (880) - Pickerington, Ohio, USA - MAY 3, 2007
Had on draft at Alehouse. Poured a very pretty amber color. No head upon arrival. Nice taste of citrus and malts with a slightly bitter finish. Decent Pale Ale. Not my favorite style, but good!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - OCT 28, 2005
Actually, I headed out to the Smokehouse with the intent of trying the “Hobgoblin” for my first “Firkin Friday” experience. However, much to my regret, the bartender informed me that I was about 2 hours 2 late. Gahh!! No one told me. So I made the best of it, and tried some of this from the cask. The first thing I noticed as the brew was brought to me, was the amazing cascade. The tall frothy beige head is fully lasting. The brew is a cloudy dark honey amber. The nose is open, fresh and clean. Though softer than I would expect from the style, notes of pine and spruce are present. The warmth accompanies a wonderful balance. The finish though tame, does present some complexity. The medium to full body is creamy and soft. The finish feels slightly astringent. Would make quite the session offering.
Earlier Rating: 11/30/2003 Total Score: 4.2
Pours a dark copper with ruby highlights. The large frothy off white head is mostly lasting with fair lacing. The nose is perfume, pine and citrus with some slight clove tones. The flavor is dominated with a moderate citrus acidity and the finish is long and bitter. The medium creamy body is lively and finishes clean. Good solid session brew. Goes great with the Turkey Gumbo at the Smokehouse.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ARH (827) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 5, 2014
On tap, poured into a sampler glass. The aroma is light and mellow with notes of toffee, brown sugar, and a touch of citrus. The appearance is oily and caramel colored with a very thin white ring that eventually dissappears and leaves no lace. It’s a taste blend of medium bitter and sweet. The texture is thin and oily with a light carbonation and a medium malt body. Toffee, grain, and citrus flavors comes through first, followed by a roasty, grain and caramel finish. A bready aftertaste lingers lightly.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DrHomolka (761) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 14, 2007
Draft. Pretty dark for a pale ale. Amber/brown color with a small off-white head. Aroma is sweet, malty, honey. Hops are surprisingly subdued, though present. Taste is smooth, sweet, semi-bitter. Malty, honey. Subtle hops. The definition of a good but nothing more pale ale. Nothing bad I can say about it but certainly nothing exceptional.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - JUL 22, 2002
ReRate from 2/10/02: I didn’t give this enough props before! I just had it again this weekend and I was reminded of how good it is! VERY Hoppy, gives that slight stinging tounge sensation. A bit too carbonated - but still really excellent.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
hopson (635) - Williamsville, New York, USA - MAY 5, 2009
tap at smokehouse- pretty nice offering- very drinkable fruit and hop flavors- certainly balanced towards the hop, but fits the bill nicely.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BennyTicklez (621) - USA - NOV 27, 2004
Pours amber with a small white head. This beer has that same "stale" hop taste that Bass has. I don’t mean "stale" in a bad way though. It just tastes different making it stand out from others. So, I guess this is a pretty distinct pale ale then. It was higher hopped than other pale ales I have had, making it very enjoyable. I will drink again!