Barley’s Barrel-Conditioned J. Scott Francis ESB

Barley’s Barrel-Conditioned J. Scott Francis ESB
     click to upload

Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.87/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.12   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 32   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
J. Scott Francis ESB barrel conditioned in bourbon barrels.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Bulk_Carrier (2434) - Temporarily, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 15, 2015
Part of the discounted flight I had. Sample glass. The appearance was a nice looking hazy amber to medium colored orange/brown color with a light carbonation to be seen rising. No head, but I’m not worried since it was a sample glass. The smell definitely had the characteristics of an ESB, slightly malty, semi-"soapy" but a good "soapy." The taste was mainly malty sweet with an established semi - wet displaced aftertaste leading to a semi-wet finish. It does add a light woodiness to it as warmed. On the palate, this one sat about a medium on the body with a fairly decent sessionability about it. The carbonation was good for the style and for me, delicately smooth. Overall, barrel aged ESB, yup these guys did it right. If I actually lived in the Columbus area, I’d be taking home a growler of this as much as I could.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Dogbrick (8950) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 8, 2012
Sample at Barley’s Smokehouse. The beer is a clear dark amber color with a medium thick beige head that diminishes steadily. Stringy lacing on the glass. Aroma of caramel malt, citrus and a touch of bourbon. Medium body with flavors of sweet malt, fruit and subtle oaky bourbon. The finish is fruity with an earthy, oaky aftertaste. I was admittedly not expecting much from a barrel-aged ESB but this exceeded my expectations.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JaBier (5106) - Capital City, Ohio, USA - MAY 5, 2012
Pint on cask at the Smokehouse on 5/2/12. Clear amber pour with a thick tan cascading head. Aroma of orange, oak, caramel, malt and light booze. Malty flavor with some caramel, oak and slight citrus before a mild booze finish. Bourbon is well masked here and I think that’s what makes this beer work. I love my bourbon beers, but an ESB? This beer takes on the pleasant oaky character without being completely overtaken by bourbon. Well done.