overall

RATINGS: 175   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.72   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
Color: Dark Ruby Body: Medium Aroma: Dark Chocolate & Fine Espresso Taste: Creamy & Chocolaty on the palate Technical Data: Original Gravity: 1060 Grist: Chocolate, Crystal, Pale & Black Malts Hops: Perle, Liberty & Willamette Type of Beer: Top Fermented English Porter IBU's: 35

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sven (229) - Lancaster, California, USA - MAY 6, 2003
UPDATED: APR 12, 2004 Strong black patent malt burnt flavor, followed by burnt coffee and chocolate flavors. Balanced hoppiness, nice smokiness. Did I mention burnt? Didn't notice the sourness that others have complained of, can only assume they had off-bottles since they all seem to have come from the San Diego area.

mc5 (11) - USA - MAR 29, 2004
Had one of these on draft at the Yard House in Costa Mesa. Loved it. Dark brown/black, nice creamy head, espresso/chocolate aromas. Dry and smokey with bittersweet chocolate hints. I really enjoyed this one. I experienced none of the sourness talked about. Dirty beer lines or just old beer?

Kevin (2066) - New Mexico, USA - APR 11, 2006
Dark brown pour with ruby hues held to the light and a lasting tan head that creates a nice skin on top. Smells of cocoa powder and marshmallows on toast. Nice semisweet flavor of chocolate, whipped crŤme a bit of mocha too. The thin mouthfeel I expect from a porter so it is not a drawback here. A smore like finish. This is working together nicely. A wonderful respite from the coors light and busch light I drank while crappie fishing with a couple of my uncles today. A bit more graham cracker and Hershey chocolate in the finish than the marshmallow. This is a very enjoyable brew. Kevin, you have redeemed yourself with this one. I take back all the things I said (albeit I was joking when I said them) in my rant in my 1855 rating. There is some red berry flavor coming out in this late that is pretty tasty too. It works with the other flavors to add a deferent dimension to the sweetness. Ap-4 ar-8 tas-8 pal-4 ov-17

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jthg (84) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUN 29, 2009
I liked this beer. My friends did not - see comments below. This is a wonderful dark soured beer. Aroma meets you with a little vinegar. The beer finishes smooth. Should have marketed as a soured beer. "Chocolate porter my ass!" "Tastes like fruits" "I wonder if it is rancid. Chocolate goes rancid." "This is foul" "Donít poor me more!" "I will pay you twenty dollars to finish it!"

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheBeerLover (1025) - DC Metro Area, USA - JAN 28, 2006
Bayhawk Chocolate Porter pours to a beautiful, deep brown to black color with a thick and creamy tan head, and a soft to moderate amount of carbonation. The nose on this beer is really wonderful with aromas of dark chocolate, mild roast coffee, and hints of grassy/herbal hop aroma. The palate is soft and full on the tongue with lots of good dark chocolate and coffee flavors on a rich and creamy body. Bayhawk Chocolate Porter finishes with more chocolate and coffee flavors, then ends with a nice bite of hop bitterness to round out the sweetness of this beer. This is an excellent soft brown porter from a very good Southern California brewery. I really enjoyed the fact that this was a local brew, and that all their beers were proudly featured at the Yard House, along with other California brews. If you find yourself in Southern CA, Bayhawk beers are worth seeking out. If you are looking for a great place to drink them, any one of the Yard Houseís CA locations is worth visiting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
jlieber17 (201) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 18, 2011
22oz bottle. Iím a little fascinated by the rating history of this beer, and the fact that it has a style rating of 5. An overall of 26 puts this beer on par with Budweiser American Ale and is actually 11 points less than Michelob Porter. What!? Iím intently looking for the sour/vinegar/tart aroma/flavor that reviewers of the last few years have given this beer and I honestly canít find it at all. I donít know what that means. New recipe? (There has been only 1 rating prior to this all year...).

Anyways, to rate this, and this probably ruins all of my credibility, but Iím not a Porter fan at all. But this one, I really like. Pours almost completely opaque with small tan head that leaves a nice halo for quite a while. Aroma is sweet chocolate, some roastiness. Flavor is bitter chocolate with some booze. Watery mouthfeel, slightly sticky, some lingering chocolate on the finish. For whatever $3-$4 this beer cost, Iíd say itís a deal, and I promise you Iím buying more.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 27, 2002
A decent chocolate stout. A little sour, nothing incedibly special. Would recommend youngs chocolate stout over this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
BBB63 (5967) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - SEP 3, 2003
Brown hue with reddish tones, creamy head and very good lace. Aroma hinted of burnt malts, espresso, chocolate, aromatic hops, and slightly sour esters. Taste starts out fruity and tart then produces a bittersweet chocolate and hoppy snap. The finish is a tad smokey and dry. Medium-bodied with a soft but slighty watery, coffee mouthfeel. This beer is not to be confused with the sweet/milk chocolate stouts on the market. It is drier and smokey, hints of bittersweet chocolate, much like a porter. I enjoyed this variation on the style and would drink it again.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cheap (3975) - Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 8, 2009
Very nice friendly very dark american lager pour. Mild and well mannered aroma. Roasty wood backgroujnd on taste buds. Sharp tingly sizzling fiss on the palate. Almost comes across like a sour porter, very nice, I like. A little acidic and quite interesting. Taste is pretty good for this redneck. I think iím psychotic, but is it possible to have a sour porter? I detect many sour attributes in here. Very nifty, did I say i like? Great finish, this bomber dissapeared like a 12 oz. Big thenks to cquiroga for a chance to taste thios brew. Very good tasting experience!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
CaptainCougar (7129) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - MAR 18, 2003
On tap at Yardhouse: Pours a deep dark brown with thin head. Roasted, lighty chocolate aroma. Body is smooth, but uninteresting, with a pleasant chocolatey finish. Pretty enjoyable, but better things have been done with chocolate.