Baylands Zythra Pale Ale

Brewed by Baylands Brewery
Style: English Pale Ale
Wellington, New Zealand
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.43/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.97   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
Note: First batch was 5.5% abv.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
kiwianer (3340) - Otorohanga, NEW ZEALAND - APR 8, 2014
The head is ok, the body gold. It smells hoppy, bit fruity, bitter. The taste is hoppy, fruity, bit bitter, less malty. Ok

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
beer-yum (500) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - JAN 14, 2014
Previous positive experience with brewer saw me down at Hashigo Zake to sample this, their latest beer. And I was not disappointed. Lovely, long and lingering bitter finish had me thinking it was more IPA than PA - but I’m easy either way.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Jimthechap (1685) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - JAN 13, 2014
The first pint of my pilgrimage to Hashigo Zake in Wellington and I was determined to drink local and drink something I hadn’t tried before. This wee gem was pale amber with vestiges of white head that didn’t last to the bottom of the glass. The aroma was of fragrant mandarin and oranges with some herbaceous spruce resin. The flavour was carried by a medium to light body with prickly carbonation and a gentle bitterness that grew and grew on the palate, lengthening the finish. This is a tasty beer that was crying out for a session, although I think the abv is a trifle too high. Otherwise, a lovely start.