overall
Brewed by Heineken Ireland
Style: Dry Stout
Cork, Ireland

RATINGS: 1054   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.36   EST. CALORIES: 123   ABV: 4.1%
Filtered and pasteurised. Available in nitro cans and nitro kegs.
Production moved to the former Murphys brewery on closure of the Beamish & Crawford brewery in 2009.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Dogbrick (8682) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 3, 2002
This is pretty much a carbon copy of the canned Guinness, so it has all the same strenghts and weaknesses. I would always choose a draught over a can but this is great for home use. That widget definitely has a Pavlovian effect on me. I salivate now whenever I hear it. If Budweiser ever figures that out I am in trouble.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Beertender99 (10) - Granite City, Illinois, USA - MAR 3, 2002
I’m not much on stouts that offer as much aftertaste as this. It isn’t bad, but I’ve had better. :)

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Drinkingdan (375) - East Norriton, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 27, 2002
Very nice Stout, a little on the Guinness tasting side.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
VA Homebrewer (525) - Portsmouth, Virginia, USA - FEB 26, 2002
OK, we all know that nitro’d stouts look great. Beyond that, what do they offer? Not much in my estimation. Absolutely NO aroma other than metal on this puppy. Thick creamy head (duh) and a black, opaque body. Watery up front; nutty in the middle; finishes with a roasted nut flavor and fairly bitter. Thin and generally bland. Nothing to write home about and I won’t be going out of my way to find this. I won’t even drink it again if it IS in my way.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
MOboy (505) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - FEB 24, 2002
Is everyone here fucking nuts?! If you are drinking this from a can, it is neither a great stout or even a decent stout. The flavor is weak and thin along with the body. This is completely a cardboard cut out of a good stout. Sure it looks great but hell does that matter when it tastes like roasted water? This is not what a stout should taste like. Even Guinness from a can is terrible. Aurther Guiness would be rolling in his grave right now if he knew what they were doing to Irish stout by putting a nitrogen widget in them. Nitrogen=thin, bland beer with beautiful creamy bland head. I’ll pass.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Beloved Beer (278) - California, USA - FEB 23, 2002
The best thing from a can I have ever had. Great flavor which was completely unexpected. Much better than guiness from a can. I hope someday I can find this stuff on tap.

pjcoupe (105) - Perryton, Texas, USA - FEB 20, 2002
I can’t tell this one from Guinness I like it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - FEB 19, 2002
I find very little separates the likes of Beamish and Murphy’s from Guinness and will drink all 3 interchangeably. Served from the nitro-taps the looks are outstanding. Easy drinking on the palate with a roasted maybe even smoke flavor with slight nutty and chocolaty tones in the finish. Not over-dominanant and pretty easy drinking. I could easily spend a night with this one.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
kilgore41599 (98) - Rochester, New York, USA - FEB 19, 2002
Very good stout that I may have rated higher in earlier years when I was more into Stout. First had this beer when I was in Dublin and later found it to be Samuel Beckett’s favorite in his lifetime.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
krisbierjaeger (844) - dolores, Colorado, USA - FEB 11, 2002
a silky pour, a glass of umber-edged darkness; microscopic tiny bubbles make a foam as thick as grueyere cream. very toasty aroma, with hints of something between dark chocolate and licorice, tho very dry and not at all fruity. the palate too is creamy smooth, perhaps overly smooth. thin bodied, almost watery; slight bitter finish. fun, but more show than go. gimme a rogue shakespeare!