overall

RATINGS: 1393   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 55   EST. CALORIES: 243   ABV: 8.1%
Big Bear is a big, black, stout you can really sink your teeth into. The bold, roasty, caramel malt flavor is balanced by Centennial and Cascade hops. 2009 California State Fair – 2nd GOLD 2009 LA International Beer Competition – GOLD 2007 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Stout – SILVER 2002 World Beer Cup - GOLD

beerslayer (753) - New Jersey, USA - FEB 27, 2004
This is a good Imperial Stout. Sweet, chocolate, and malt flavors. Finishes rich, creamy, and dry.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
PorterPounder (5341) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - FEB 19, 2004
Pours with a motor oil like blackness. A brown eggshell colored heavily lacing head tops it off nicely. The aroma is many things - all pleasant - citrusy hoppiness but at the same time nutty maltiness - overall fruity smelly. Taste is slightly fruity as well, with dates and a bit of chocolate is noted as it warms. The finish is a bit tart but balances out well with some nuttiness. Overall an excellent Imperial Stout and many thanks to Aurelius for bringing this.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Aurelius (4028) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - FEB 19, 2004
A fine pint o' stout. Berry and stout aroma. Mildly tart, but with good acid balance, mostly coffee, west coast hops. As it warms lots more caramel, fruit and creamy sweetness is evident. Mouthfeel is coffee and cream, finish is moderately long roast bitter with some wine-iness. Nicely done.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
daalamar (405) - new albany, Indiana, USA - FEB 18, 2004
I'm rather dissapointed in this one. Pours watery and dark brown with a decent head tannish in color that does leave some lacing. Aroma is light, malty with a fair ammount of char. Tatst is average, coffee, burnt caramel and a little hop in the finish. Finish is very blunt..it just stops at the swallow. Not what I was expecting out of an IP stout with 4.05 average ratings.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Kinz (3251) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - FEB 14, 2004
Draft at brewpub. Very dark brown red color, but can see through. Bold green hop aroma. Palate is OK, but thinner than I expected. The overall flavor struck me as much more of a hoppy ale than a stout, as I missed the traditional chocalate and coffee notes. A good hoppy ale though! My tasting is so far off what others have noted that I will have to give this another shot in the future.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - FEB 13, 2004
The aroma and appearance are top notch, it just looks and smells like a beautiful beer. The taste did not let me down either. Huge roasty malt, chocolate, butterscotch and roasted nuts flavor. No bitter finish like some Imperials.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - FEB 13, 2004
Man, great story about this one. So, I'm here in Portland and I've always wanted to try this. I grabbed a bomber of it at John's Marketplace and then put it in my fridge in the hotel for my duration. I had planned on taking it back to Boise with me so I could share it with Sham, but when I went to put it into my suitcase, I'd noticed that it had frozen (!) and there was frozen brown foam coming out the lid and down the side, pooling into the bottom of the fridge in a black murky sludge. So, I took it out of the fridge and popped the cap. There was still lots of carbonation in what was left of this dark beer. So, I let it vent its frustrations. After it was done, I poured what wasn't frozen into a glass. This was a thick dark brown color, heavily carbonated, very thick. The aroma was godlike. TONS of chocolate and roasted flavors. My god! Have I just created an Eisimperial Stout?! The drink that I taste here is nothing like I've ever tasted. It's like WWS 23% but completely balanced. Lots of alcohol bite but none to taste, smoky, malty, hoppy, everything is still here but it's just beautiful. I then decided that it wouldn't be fair if I rated this beer off of this sample, so I allowed the remaining ice to thaw and then poured it into my glass like a good little boy. To my amazement it smelled and tasted very similar but without the over the top alcohol feel. Man this is a great beer if it can stand up to this abuse! Send me another but ship it through the north pole first, now we're talkin!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - FEB 9, 2004
Thanks be to Jazz88 for sending me this mysterious brew several months ago!!
Rating #375
Big Black body and a lusciously frothy caramel colored head. The aroma brings forth deep notes of a creamy mocha, French Pressed coffee, toffee, oak, and a delicate morsel of hops.
Great flavor!! Far more bitter than I had expected, the aroma is deceptive…. Notes of bourbon strike fast and hard…. that just sounds gay, but whatever. Surprisingly spicy, like an oak aged Spiced Rim. Great notes of highly kilned rich coffee beans, not overpowering though….. the bitterness is nicely balanced out with a semisweet coco and a hint of vanilla bean. Great peppery notes of an excellent Dominican maduro cigar.... the peppery dark wrapping that kind of stings your mouth and lips….. this also sounds kind of gay, but hell with it. Yeah, really unique fresh cocoanut similarities as well…. This is a fantastic Imp Stout! The palate is very creamy and luscious…. A dry toasty bitter/sweet finish…. I am really noting coconut here….?
A terrific Imperial Stout, I would love to age another bottle of this, I think with some time the coffee notes would become more refined and the coco would become more pronounced.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - FEB 2, 2004
This is a big black stout, that is not what I expected, and is somewhat disappointing. Pours thin and oily, with no head at all. Dry and roasted with lots of syrupy chocolate flavors. The mouthfeel is very thin and the body is quite light. This is worth a try, but is not my favorite of this style.

radiomgb (2182) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 1, 2004
Deep brown in colour with a thin beige coloured head. Aroma was deeply roasty, with dark chocolate and lots of malt. The flavour was hugely roasty, with lots of dark chocolate and some sweetness. Finished dry but you could still taste the beer for a bit. This was decadent. No alcohol to be found. Thanks for sharing beerhugger.