overall

RATINGS: 1417   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 55   EST. CALORIES: 243   ABV: 8.1%
Big Bear is a big, black, stout you can really sink your teeth into. The bold, roasty, caramel malt flavor is balanced by Centennial and Cascade hops. 2009 California State Fair – 2nd GOLD 2009 LA International Beer Competition – GOLD 2007 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Stout – SILVER 2002 World Beer Cup - GOLD

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - FEB 13, 2004
Man, great story about this one. So, I'm here in Portland and I've always wanted to try this. I grabbed a bomber of it at John's Marketplace and then put it in my fridge in the hotel for my duration. I had planned on taking it back to Boise with me so I could share it with Sham, but when I went to put it into my suitcase, I'd noticed that it had frozen (!) and there was frozen brown foam coming out the lid and down the side, pooling into the bottom of the fridge in a black murky sludge. So, I took it out of the fridge and popped the cap. There was still lots of carbonation in what was left of this dark beer. So, I let it vent its frustrations. After it was done, I poured what wasn't frozen into a glass. This was a thick dark brown color, heavily carbonated, very thick. The aroma was godlike. TONS of chocolate and roasted flavors. My god! Have I just created an Eisimperial Stout?! The drink that I taste here is nothing like I've ever tasted. It's like WWS 23% but completely balanced. Lots of alcohol bite but none to taste, smoky, malty, hoppy, everything is still here but it's just beautiful. I then decided that it wouldn't be fair if I rated this beer off of this sample, so I allowed the remaining ice to thaw and then poured it into my glass like a good little boy. To my amazement it smelled and tasted very similar but without the over the top alcohol feel. Man this is a great beer if it can stand up to this abuse! Send me another but ship it through the north pole first, now we're talkin!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - FEB 9, 2004
Thanks be to Jazz88 for sending me this mysterious brew several months ago!!
Rating #375
Big Black body and a lusciously frothy caramel colored head. The aroma brings forth deep notes of a creamy mocha, French Pressed coffee, toffee, oak, and a delicate morsel of hops.
Great flavor!! Far more bitter than I had expected, the aroma is deceptive…. Notes of bourbon strike fast and hard…. that just sounds gay, but whatever. Surprisingly spicy, like an oak aged Spiced Rim. Great notes of highly kilned rich coffee beans, not overpowering though….. the bitterness is nicely balanced out with a semisweet coco and a hint of vanilla bean. Great peppery notes of an excellent Dominican maduro cigar.... the peppery dark wrapping that kind of stings your mouth and lips….. this also sounds kind of gay, but hell with it. Yeah, really unique fresh cocoanut similarities as well…. This is a fantastic Imp Stout! The palate is very creamy and luscious…. A dry toasty bitter/sweet finish…. I am really noting coconut here….?
A terrific Imperial Stout, I would love to age another bottle of this, I think with some time the coffee notes would become more refined and the coco would become more pronounced.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - FEB 2, 2004
This is a big black stout, that is not what I expected, and is somewhat disappointing. Pours thin and oily, with no head at all. Dry and roasted with lots of syrupy chocolate flavors. The mouthfeel is very thin and the body is quite light. This is worth a try, but is not my favorite of this style.

radiomgb (2391) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 1, 2004
Deep brown in colour with a thin beige coloured head. Aroma was deeply roasty, with dark chocolate and lots of malt. The flavour was hugely roasty, with lots of dark chocolate and some sweetness. Finished dry but you could still taste the beer for a bit. This was decadent. No alcohol to be found. Thanks for sharing beerhugger.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerhugger (542) - Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 1, 2004
A big black bear of a stout with some creamy milk chocolate fur for a head. Beautifully roasty and mixed choco-coffee aromas draw you into a fantastically smooth and creamy beer. Where's the alcohol? Full-bodied and nicely balanced between the malts and the subtly hopped very dry aftertaste - beautiful.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Terminus (3283) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - FEB 1, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 3, 2005 ReRate-im not going to lower the score here, but i just have to ad that i just sampled a bottle of this and it tasted way off. I think it was pretty old (had some sediment at the bottom). The hops were somewhat there, but created a really metalic flavor with the chocolate and roasted malts. Well i guess this bottle is old-says its a winter seasonal! 22oz bomber. pours 99% black with very little tan head. huge dry hopped aroma for an imperial stout, something i have never smelled in an imperial. lots of coffee in the aroma alongside the hops. the body felt thin, but that maybe because i just sampled a WWS before this! Huge roasted flavors with citrus hops alongside. Definately a quality IMP Stout!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
thedm (4972) - Fort Wayne, USA - FEB 1, 2004
This bottles brew from Flemdawg, thanks Jim, poured a medium sized head of foamy light brown colored long lasting bubbles. The body was semi-opaque and dark ruby brown red colored with no visible carbonation. It had a malty aroma and a crisp malt hop start to the mouth feel with a lingering malt hop bite. The flavor was mild coffee hops dark malt and a had few roasted malt notes.

flemdawg (533) - Rowlett, Texas, USA - JAN 27, 2004
Opaque and a dark brown color with a hint of red near the edges. Small head that was colored a tan. A nice beer to smell, a mixture of milk chocolate and cookies. Taste of coffee, chocolate, and malts. Nice and tasty.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
hotstuff (4284) - Indiana, USA - JAN 25, 2004
Bottled. This beer formed a small sized tan and frothy head with fine-medium sized bubbles. The body was opaque and black with no visible carbonation. The nose was coffee, chocolate and caramel. The flavor was very tasty with malt, coffee and some hop notes. The mouthfeel was smooth but a tad thin. Recommended.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JAN 24, 2004
Big sweet pine nose that give away to malt. Great head and lace. Jet black. A little too light on the palate. Very fruity (cherry & Raspberry). Long dry coffee finish.