overall

RATINGS: 1960   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92   IBU: 80   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
A high gravity IPA brewed with 18% rye malt. Hop Rod Rye has a floral hop aroma and subtle caramel notes with a slightly earthy and spicy rye character. 2009 California State Fair – GOLD 2003 California State Fair – GOLD 2002 Real Ale Festival (Chicago) – GOLD

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - MAY 13, 2005
Poura a nice copper with a layer of creamy head.The hop nose is wonderfully defined,pure and simple hops.if there is Rye it is very subtle.The Rye does stand out a little on the tongue which only gives it some complexity vs just hops.Nice bitter after taste.I really like this.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
eboats (1082) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - MAY 12, 2005
Gorgeous ruby red with a tan head. Aroma: Sweet citrus hops (orange/lemon) and rye. Flavor is hoppy and then finishes with pure hops themselves. Dry hop finish. The rye really shines through in the aftertaste. Definately has the dual hop injection as advertised. Hop heads delight here.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
GonZoBeeR (2984) - Ste-Eulalie, Quebec, CANADA - MAY 9, 2005
On tap a the moan and dove.... Aroma:Hopy and good malt flavor...... Appearance:Redish big head.... Flavor:Big bitterness and good caramel flavor....

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ojclark (69) - Santa Monica, California, USA - MAY 2, 2005
Bottle. Malty, roasty, hoppy aroma. Clear brown with a rocky tan head with a lot of lace. Head lasted for a few minutes before diminishing to a fine layer. Roasty, malty, hoppy bitter flavor with slight alcohol bite. A strongly flavored beer with a lot going on. Bitter, roasty aftertaste. Evervescent and medium bodied with a long, slightly oily finish. Excellent.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
cvillebeer (134) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - MAY 1, 2005
I have come to like all the Bear Republic beers that I have tried, and this one is one of my favorites. An excellent and interesting beer. I have not had many rye beers so I am not sure that I can reliably identify the flavor but this beer has a nice, malty, toasty flavor and a strong hop presence. A powerful aroma is followed by a full hop flavor with a nice, bittery finish. $6 and change for a bomber at the local Whole Foods.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - MAY 1, 2005
Add to the "know I’ve had it several times but just found out I hadn’t rated it" file. You open the bottle expecting the typical pale IIPA and maybe a little rye thrown in as a gimmick, but no, this one gets a real contribution from the rye. Exceptionally clear sparkling brown body. Very resinous hops flavors--it smells a lot like Simcoe to me, but I’m not so hot at picking out hop varities. Has a warm, rounded malt profile more befitting a barleywine, but I do detect a little jaggedness in there that I assume is the rye. Slightl sourness followed by a pungent, sappy hoppiness, and toast. Lots of toast. Bitterness is a little less full and variegated than I like and more laser beam-like. Could possibly benefit from a little less carbonation. A fine beer, overall.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Shag (2655) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - APR 24, 2005
This one poured a murky brown, no no not murphy brown, MURKY BROWN! This one was quite hoppy with a nutty flavor to it. I can taste the rye in there but its not really standing out. Im also tasting some caramel and dark fruit. I enjoyed this one.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Quetzalcoatl (153) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - APR 22, 2005
Clear red-brown body, big strong head. Aroma is rich with hops – great citrus aroma. The flavor is another blast of hops, fresh and grapefruity. Fannnn-tastic!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nuffield (3754) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - APR 20, 2005
Not a bad price...$2.99 for a bomber at Discount Liquors, Milwaukee. And definitely worth it for that price. Chestnut brown and deep red with a clinging, off-white, even luxurious head, the first sips entered my mouth to a standing ovation by my taste buds, as they were prodded from their seats by a lovely froth. My nose had already been bristling at attention from the generous hop aroma, with caramel and a hint of hazelnut-infused chocolate. The flavor has much more of the rye; I haven’t been very good at detecting rye in the beers I’ve had, but this was as clear as any of them. Still, it doesn’t bang you over the head, but has a rounded malt base with some distinctive hops, producing a long bitter finish with a rather dry character. On balance, I think I don’t really care for rye beers that much; I’ve had a good number of them now, and never have they struck me as that impressive. Still, this is well composed, and after a bomber of 8% it is hard not to be happy with the $3 I spent on this!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jtw (1135) - farmington, Michigan, USA - APR 17, 2005
bottle thanks to larry pitonka. dark copper color with substantial head and carbonation. assertive hoppy rye aroma, with some caramel sweet notes as well. some spicy rye. whoa, this beer is a kick in the ass. lots of northwest hops, and a full body of syrupy malt. superb beer, like a gigantic mutated spiced IPA.