overall

RATINGS: 1916   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92   IBU: 80   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
A high gravity IPA brewed with 18% rye malt. Hop Rod Rye has a floral hop aroma and subtle caramel notes with a slightly earthy and spicy rye character. 2009 California State Fair Ė GOLD 2003 California State Fair Ė GOLD 2002 Real Ale Festival (Chicago) Ė GOLD

mribm (457) - Ocala, Florida, USA - FEB 6, 2004
22 oz. Bottle. Poured from the bottle with an impressive head which lasted a long time and left a lot of lacing behind. Citrusy type hops dominate the nose, taste and finish of this beer. While the hops took control of this beer, the malt in the background added a real nice dimension to this beer. Hop Rod Rye Ale has become one of my favorite beers and this was my first one. I am a hop lover, so this beer fits the bill when it comes to extreme hoppiness. If you love hops like I do, you will LOVE this beer. It is perfect in my opinion.

elnadeau (786) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - FEB 2, 2004
Pours a nice bronze color with a decent head. Hops (of course) dominates the nose and flavor. What we have here is a pretty much a double IPA with a tinge of rye that shows up somehere near the finish. Malt presence is good, though it can't compete with the hops bitterness overall. Excellent brew, want some more!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kinz (3251) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - FEB 1, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 17, 2009 Holy smokes that is some hop juice! Appearance is medium bronze with a nice head. Aroma screams grapefruit with a touch of pine sap thrown in for good measure. Huge shot of hops in the mouth, grapefruit, more pine notes, a touch of earthiness that blends into a decent yet understated malt body, and the tiniest bit of roast flavor at the finish. Really nice, a boot in the mouth. RERATE: 5/17/09 - No change in this rating. The wife picked up this bottle for me at random, and Iím thankful. Consistently great, either bottle or tap. About a week ago, I purchased equipment to be able to both keg my homebrew as well as be able to brew bigger beers and larger capacities. Yesterday I contentedly pulled drafts of my own homebrewed Vienna-ish lager, and today I had the abrupt realization that I could in fact pour myself a pitcher of draft beer in my own home. Not just a glass like I did yesterday, but a real live pitcher. As I drank this bottle, I had another thought - Iím over 2000 ratings in. Iíll never, ever lose the desire to track down new beers to sample. But I suspect that going forward I may very well spend more time revisiting favorites, trying to figure out how to replicate them for myself, and enjoying the fruits of my labor. A turning point may have been reached here - same hobby, but a different focus. The rating will continue, but I think that those glorious days of a new beer a day, every day, have probably passed. Sort of a bittersweet feeling, rather like this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
JasonG (776) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - JAN 25, 2004
Ruby red color, very small white head. Aroma is very hoppy, with a touch of malt, vanilla, and caramel, with slight alcohol undertones. Flavor is very bitter, with caramel, and what I think must be the rye coming through towards the finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Rastacouere (6119) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 18, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 27, 2005 Reddish bronze body with a sticky off-white head. Aroma is very hoppy, enough hops that I couldnít take notice of any rye at all. Sweat, wood, pencil fragments, floral. The taste initially consists of a medium caramel sweetness, fading malts. Hoppiness is huge, intense. Finish is heavily bitter, dry, very long, woody, piney. Creamy medium body. Powerful west-coast style to which you add peaks of originality and thatís the result. Thanks John.
Second Sampling showed much more rye. Definitely among the best of the hop focused ales to my taste. Nice complexity throughout. Big cedar flavor, salty, firm malty body with refreshing carbonation. I usually donít enjoy that kind of hop juice usually, but this has a nice toasted malt and bready backbone that make it much more enjoyable.

ukoolaid (576) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 9, 2004
On tap. Dark red/brown color with nice thick white head. Aroma is super hoppy with a bit of sweet fruit. Oh man this is hoppy as a mofo. It's much like the Victory Hop Devil. Basically, if you like hoppy beer it's excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
alanC (36) - San Francisco, California, USA - JAN 6, 2004
dark amber color. Rich, caramel malt balances the aggresive hoppiness in this beer. Great mouthfeel. Try aging a bottle for 6 months or so - you'll like it!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - JAN 4, 2004
Bottled, 22 oz. Everlasting thick head tops a ruby-glass body. Powerful grapefruity hops tingle the nostrils, hints of Russian bread peek through. The bitterness, oh the bitterness! This is not for weak Smirnoff Ice drinkers, this is REAL BEER to knock your body on its ass and your tastebuds into seeking fire-foods and cool water. Enough malt shows up late to keep this drinkable, but this is a firecracker, it is.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bu11zeye (11933) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - DEC 30, 2003
(Bottle) Pours a deep cooper color with an incredibly thick, long lasting, frothy beige head. The head on this one resembled a root beer float head. Has a good hoppy flavor with a creamy finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Dickinsonbeer (5077) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - DEC 27, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 5, 2008 Color is a nice deep amber with a lasting off white head. Aroma is overwhelmed by hops. Flavor is a great balance between malt and hops, and a slight dry and sweet flavor from the rye. Very nice mouthfeel which hides the alcohol very well. Great overall beer.