overall

RATINGS: 1962   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92   IBU: 80   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
A high gravity IPA brewed with 18% rye malt. Hop Rod Rye has a floral hop aroma and subtle caramel notes with a slightly earthy and spicy rye character. 2009 California State Fair GOLD 2003 California State Fair GOLD 2002 Real Ale Festival (Chicago) GOLD

BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - FEB 18, 2004
Mouth watering hop aroma which didn't disapoint. Huge hop flavor, with enough malt to balance it out toward the end. ABV is not even noticeable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Darkover (1525) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - FEB 17, 2004
Amber with a big beige head. Aroma of resinous hops and a little malt. Pretty strong hop flavor, but its not over the top. Finish is long dry and bitter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
PrinceofNessus (236) - Norman, Oklahoma, USA - FEB 15, 2004
Dark amber color with a cream colored head. The aroma is strongly of cascade hops, with a noticable rye note. The flavor is very hoppy, but not too dry, a good balance. The rye only becomes evident near the end. overall a wonderful brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
3fourths (8497) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - FEB 15, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 1, 2013 Deep amber brown color, with an amazing, fresh Cascade hop aroma... I cant pick up the 18-20% rye in this one, but do think it is at the top of the IIPA style.. firm and robust hop palate with a sharp roasted bitterness. Really an amazing beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dirtymike (2016) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - FEB 14, 2004
Bronze in color with a large off-white head.Aroma of typical West Coast style IPAS(citrus and pine).Bitter,hoppy,fruity,spicy,with an interesting malt base,mainly I would say from the rye(fruity/spicy,tang).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 10, 2004
A very nice twinst on the IPA. Hopppy and unique. Decent malts with great bitterness.

mribm (458) - Ocala, Florida, USA - FEB 6, 2004
22 oz. Bottle. Poured from the bottle with an impressive head which lasted a long time and left a lot of lacing behind. Citrusy type hops dominate the nose, taste and finish of this beer. While the hops took control of this beer, the malt in the background added a real nice dimension to this beer. Hop Rod Rye Ale has become one of my favorite beers and this was my first one. I am a hop lover, so this beer fits the bill when it comes to extreme hoppiness. If you love hops like I do, you will LOVE this beer. It is perfect in my opinion.

elnadeau (786) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - FEB 2, 2004
Pours a nice bronze color with a decent head. Hops (of course) dominates the nose and flavor. What we have here is a pretty much a double IPA with a tinge of rye that shows up somehere near the finish. Malt presence is good, though it can't compete with the hops bitterness overall. Excellent brew, want some more!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kinz (3467) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - FEB 1, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 17, 2009 Holy smokes that is some hop juice! Appearance is medium bronze with a nice head. Aroma screams grapefruit with a touch of pine sap thrown in for good measure. Huge shot of hops in the mouth, grapefruit, more pine notes, a touch of earthiness that blends into a decent yet understated malt body, and the tiniest bit of roast flavor at the finish. Really nice, a boot in the mouth. RERATE: 5/17/09 - No change in this rating. The wife picked up this bottle for me at random, and Im thankful. Consistently great, either bottle or tap. About a week ago, I purchased equipment to be able to both keg my homebrew as well as be able to brew bigger beers and larger capacities. Yesterday I contentedly pulled drafts of my own homebrewed Vienna-ish lager, and today I had the abrupt realization that I could in fact pour myself a pitcher of draft beer in my own home. Not just a glass like I did yesterday, but a real live pitcher. As I drank this bottle, I had another thought - Im over 2000 ratings in. Ill never, ever lose the desire to track down new beers to sample. But I suspect that going forward I may very well spend more time revisiting favorites, trying to figure out how to replicate them for myself, and enjoying the fruits of my labor. A turning point may have been reached here - same hobby, but a different focus. The rating will continue, but I think that those glorious days of a new beer a day, every day, have probably passed. Sort of a bittersweet feeling, rather like this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
JasonG (776) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - JAN 25, 2004
Ruby red color, very small white head. Aroma is very hoppy, with a touch of malt, vanilla, and caramel, with slight alcohol undertones. Flavor is very bitter, with caramel, and what I think must be the rye coming through towards the finish.