overall

RATINGS: 2003   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91/5   IBU: 80   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
A high gravity IPA brewed with 18% rye malt. Hop Rod Rye has a floral hop aroma and subtle caramel notes with a slightly earthy and spicy rye character. 2009 California State Fair GOLD 2003 California State Fair GOLD 2002 Real Ale Festival (Chicago) GOLD

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
SilkTork (5541) - Southampton, United Kingdom, Hampshire, ENGLAND - FEB 27, 2004
Bottle. Non filtered. Dark amber with small frothy head. Big aroma lurking in the American Pale Ale area but somehow darker and more evil with grape, grapefruit and a hint of apple. Mouthfeel is initial quite dark and intense but soon settles into mild toffee, moving through some honey and vanilla. There's not a lot going on, but what there is is BIG. The finish is a creamy yet muddy mess of malt and hops which doesn't clear into anything defined yet is pleasant enough. A darker, more characterful cousin of Dreadnaught - but that's not saying much.

BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - FEB 18, 2004
Mouth watering hop aroma which didn't disapoint. Huge hop flavor, with enough malt to balance it out toward the end. ABV is not even noticeable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Darkover (1535) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - FEB 17, 2004
Amber with a big beige head. Aroma of resinous hops and a little malt. Pretty strong hop flavor, but its not over the top. Finish is long dry and bitter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
PrinceofNessus (236) - Norman, Oklahoma, USA - FEB 15, 2004
Dark amber color with a cream colored head. The aroma is strongly of cascade hops, with a noticable rye note. The flavor is very hoppy, but not too dry, a good balance. The rye only becomes evident near the end. overall a wonderful brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
3fourths (9136) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - FEB 15, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 1, 2013 Deep amber brown color, with an amazing, fresh Cascade hop aroma... I cant pick up the 18-20% rye in this one, but do think it is at the top of the IIPA style.. firm and robust hop palate with a sharp roasted bitterness. Really an amazing beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dirtymike (2016) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - FEB 14, 2004
Bronze in color with a large off-white head.Aroma of typical West Coast style IPAS(citrus and pine).Bitter,hoppy,fruity,spicy,with an interesting malt base,mainly I would say from the rye(fruity/spicy,tang).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sickboy282 (1114) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 10, 2004
A very nice twinst on the IPA. Hopppy and unique. Decent malts with great bitterness.

mribm (460) - Ocala, Florida, USA - FEB 6, 2004
22 oz. Bottle. Poured from the bottle with an impressive head which lasted a long time and left a lot of lacing behind. Citrusy type hops dominate the nose, taste and finish of this beer. While the hops took control of this beer, the malt in the background added a real nice dimension to this beer. Hop Rod Rye Ale has become one of my favorite beers and this was my first one. I am a hop lover, so this beer fits the bill when it comes to extreme hoppiness. If you love hops like I do, you will LOVE this beer. It is perfect in my opinion.

elnadeau (786) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - FEB 2, 2004
Pours a nice bronze color with a decent head. Hops (of course) dominates the nose and flavor. What we have here is a pretty much a double IPA with a tinge of rye that shows up somehere near the finish. Malt presence is good, though it can't compete with the hops bitterness overall. Excellent brew, want some more!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kinz (3737) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - FEB 1, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 17, 2009 Holy smokes that is some hop juice! Appearance is medium bronze with a nice head. Aroma screams grapefruit with a touch of pine sap thrown in for good measure. Huge shot of hops in the mouth, grapefruit, more pine notes, a touch of earthiness that blends into a decent yet understated malt body, and the tiniest bit of roast flavor at the finish. Really nice, a boot in the mouth. RERATE: 5/17/09 - No change in this rating. The wife picked up this bottle for me at random, and Im thankful. Consistently great, either bottle or tap. About a week ago, I purchased equipment to be able to both keg my homebrew as well as be able to brew bigger beers and larger capacities. Yesterday I contentedly pulled drafts of my own homebrewed Vienna-ish lager, and today I had the abrupt realization that I could in fact pour myself a pitcher of draft beer in my own home. Not just a glass like I did yesterday, but a real live pitcher. As I drank this bottle, I had another thought - Im over 2000 ratings in. Ill never, ever lose the desire to track down new beers to sample. But I suspect that going forward I may very well spend more time revisiting favorites, trying to figure out how to replicate them for myself, and enjoying the fruits of my labor. A turning point may have been reached here - same hobby, but a different focus. The rating will continue, but I think that those glorious days of a new beer a day, every day, have probably passed. Sort of a bittersweet feeling, rather like this beer.