overall

RATINGS: 1929   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92   IBU: 80   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
A high gravity IPA brewed with 18% rye malt. Hop Rod Rye has a floral hop aroma and subtle caramel notes with a slightly earthy and spicy rye character. 2009 California State Fair – GOLD 2003 California State Fair – GOLD 2002 Real Ale Festival (Chicago) – GOLD

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - MAR 8, 2003
RAF 2003 bottle: Strolling through a grove of orange trees I stumble apon an anomolous arbol . . Not only does does this tree bear oranges, but there are pine cones, and a strange vine wrapped all around. . . On closer inspection the vine bears a fruit of its own, beautiful hop blossums emit a wonderful aroma that blend perfectly with the orange zest and fresh pine. . . as I wander around the tree I notice a small tap dripping drops of a golden liquid in a jug. Unable to contain my curiousity I reach for the jug. . .the lucious liquid met my lips and soaked into my tongue. . . after the first swig I looked around sensing that someone was watching. . . fortunately this was no apple tree in a forbidden garden. . . let the heavenly juice flow!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
robertjm (772) - Albany, California, USA - MAR 5, 2003
Packed with a Rye punch!! The unmistakeable bitter aftertaste of a rye stays with you long after you're done drinking it. After it warmed up a bit, it didn't linger nearly as long. Nice color. Average head, but atleast it stays there. Rye beers are definately unique. Worth trying at least once.

fraternie (815) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 2, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 23, 2013 Hoppy aroma. Malty body, very hoppy finish. Perfect dose of hops to compliment the malt. Malt is mostly caramel, very little fruit presence. Clean, crisp hop finish. Re-Rate 7/13: Pours a rich carmelly color. Very smooth on the palate, with complex toffee malt and baked bread notes that mix with citrusy orange and floral grapefruit, showing a metallic hop edge throughout. Long, spicy finish, remarkably easy drinking for its depth and abv.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
kyzr (1148) - Belgrade, Montana, USA - FEB 27, 2003
Great fruity aroma, with big fruit up front and a creamy hoppy finish. Little bit of a bite to the aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - FEB 27, 2003
I cannot discern the benefit the rye imparts: the hop flavor is the whole story here. Not bitter, not balanced, but fun when you want clean hop flavor. Pricey.

baobubba (455) - Starkville, Mississippi, USA - FEB 18, 2003
Awsome nutty aroma backed by sweet citrusy hops. Sweet with great citrus, nut, and caramel finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mpbro (132) - Stanford, California, USA - FEB 15, 2003
(15Feb2003--draft) Drunk at Great Water in San Francisco; underprimed like all their draft beers. Thin, very lacy, very fine head. Fairly persistent carbonation. Aroma was surprisingly subdued aroma; a bit of hops. Upon taking my first sip, I thought "Cascade Hop Juice!" Way over the top. Like drinking pine resin extract. To this beer's credit, the flavor settles down, with hops yielding to wonderful maltiness. Fruity, with good solid mouthfeel, and a perfect dose of caramel malt. Hops are overdone (but to be fair, they did warn me...Hop Rod), but the beer under there is top-notch. I didn't pick up any rye, but I'll look for it if I try the beer again.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Chief (11) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - FEB 6, 2003
My experience with this beer went from better to worse. First,I was suprised with the unique copper color and rich thick lingering head. Then I took a drink and was hit by an onslaught of hop and thick lingering burnt pine taste on the back of my tongue. I must say Bear Republic has one of the most unique lineups of palate thrashing beers. I highly recommend Racer 5 if you are an IPA fan and drink it daily!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
beerstop (173) - Roanoke, Virginia, USA - FEB 4, 2003
Far too hoppy for my taste, thus the fairly low rating. Hop flavors up front, malt flavors in the middle and dry on the finish. Pours a nice copper color with a off white head. Beer does hide its alcohol quite well.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MartinT (7779) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - FEB 1, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 22, 2012 Pine trees and flowers surrounded by chewy rye and caramel candy... Earthy and resinous bitterness balances out the rich, suave body... One of America’s best strong ales...