overall

RATINGS: 1404   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73   IBU: 67   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Red Rocket Ale is a bastardized Scottish style red ale that traces it’s origins to our homebrew roots. This full bodied and hoppy brew finishes on the palate with sweet, caramel malt flavors. 2009 California State Fair - SILVER 1999 Great American Beer Festival® Other Strong Ales or Lagers - SILVER 1998 Great American Beer Festival® Other Strong Ales - SILVER

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jcalbi (378) - New Jersey, USA - JUL 15, 2002
When I placed the order for this through Liquid Solutions my intention was to order the Hop Rod Rye Ale. I guess I got my wires crossed, but, on the other hand, I wish all of my mistakes would turn out this great! Claret in color with a rich and creamy head that reduces itself to a thin ring around the glass. Immense toasted malt aroma with traces of fresh baked bread and caramel. Intense roasted coffee flavor (akin to biting into a freshly roasted coffee bean) with hins of bitter chocolate. A long, hoppy and malty finish. Great way to wind out the weekend!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - JUN 19, 2002
Well what do you know. A happenstance gift from PsychProf fulfills two recent ambitions of mine. So much buzz about Bear Republic recently and this becomes my first shot at them. And then yesterday Oakes initiates the American Strong style onsite and lo, turns out Red Rocket fits the bill, giving me a chance to explore the style. The beer? Oh yeah. Well, it comes surging forth with a huge head roaring over a deep garnet body and an effervescent effect much quicker than, but similar to, a Guinness cascade. The aroma is honeymalty, strong with hops and you get a charge of those hops in the taste, too, but they’re largely blasted away by the sweet gunpowder smoke of the exceptional malt. I don’t know if it’s easier to handle than the Bastard or if my palate has just ’grown up’ considerably from by first sip of the ol AB. Anyway, I enjoyed the beer. Chalk up two ’American Strongs’ for hennes!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JUN 16, 2002
Deep garnet in color, the head is large and beige, the lace in sheets to coat the glass. Nose is malt, floral and hints of caramel. Front is sweet, the top is medium, the finish is highly hopped, acidic, dry, and quite a ’Hoot’.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - JUN 7, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 27, 2004 You have to admire this brewery. I have never had a scottish ale packed this heavily with precisely the malt required, and a heavy dose of hops to boot! Not true to style, yes. The bastard brother to a more refined version like Alesmith's, but hey, who needs refinement. This brewery rocks my world. Thanks to crate and barrel stoppers, I can sample away without drunkeness, or maybe not...Sweet, peat, and heat.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Diego (79) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 24, 2002
I tried it this evening. I tell ya...It sounded good and the reviews all read well so, I’m sure it’s me but, I didn’t like it. It was too sweet and too rich (if that’s possible). Maybe I was looking forward to it too much. It smelled great and had a rich full head that stuck around but I just couldn’t tolerate the taste and didn’t finsih it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
joet (2172) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - FEB 20, 2002
Deep dark amber. Nice creamy foam with generous lacing and a resinous surface. Huge hoppy green, bushy, piney aroma with wisps of peat over a resinous surface. After the big flavor smack in the face, it feels a bit drying, slightly finely particulate. More big malt, big hops with some alcohol in the finish. The 6.8% is definitely appreciable. Comparison to Arrogant Bastard is unavoidable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
argo0 (11533) - Washington DC, USA - FEB 7, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 4, 2003 Garnet body topped by healthy beige head. Aroma is sweet, grapefruit, caramel, floral. Taste is malty, earthy, mildly sweet, light peat, alcohol, finishing earthy/grapefruit bitter. Medium full body, slightly chewy.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
geofflilley99 (6) - Sacramento, California, USA - JAN 14, 2002 does not count
A real kick in the butt! Hoppy, aggressive, a nice wake up call on a hot Saturday. Solid brewery across the board.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
gwfrankpsu (231) - McKinleyville, California, USA - JAN 8, 2002
This is a really good beer, missed the brewery in Healdsburg, but caught the brew in Eureka. Wonderful hoppy, flavorful beer that was just right. I could live on this beer, and everything the Bear Republic Brewery makes. Except for the wheat.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
21iceman40 (1731) - vienna, West Virginia, USA - OCT 6, 2001
Bear republic, what can i say. The absolute best.