Beaus Screamin’ Beaver (Bourbon Barrel Aged)

overall
Brewed by Beaus Brewing Co.
Style: Imperial IPA
Vankleek Hill, Canada

RATINGS: 21   MEAN: 3.51/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.43/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Diogène (1145) - Mirabel, Quebec, CANADA - FEB 20, 2016
Bière orangée surmontée d’une épaisse mousse beige affichant une bonne tenue. Au nez, elle dévoile des arômes de vanille, de bois, de melon de miel, de figues fraîches, de baies de raisin et des notes de houblons floraux. En bouche, elle est semblable aux arômes avec une finale très légèrement amère et une bonne dose d’alcool. Riche en bouche avec une gazéification modérée. C’est à mon avis plus près d’un barley wine que d’une impériale IPA, mais c’est tout de même très agréable.

rederic (3251) - montréal, Quebec, CANADA - FEB 20, 2016
600ml bottle, purchased at the brewery, dark amber color, with a beige head, with a light floral citrus, leafy, grassy hop nose, with faint lemon, grapefruit orange rind, lemon marmalade, lemon tea leaf accents and a mild honeyed pale, toasted malt, subtle mint leaf, fruity yeast, subtle brown sugar note in the aroma follows through on a medium-bodied palate with a sweet candied lemon, grapefruit peel, flowery citrus, leafy, grassy, minty hoppy character, with some lemon tea leaf, mint leaf, lemon pie crust, toffeeish, lemon marmalade, toasted, caramelized, pale malty, subtle vanilla flavours, leading towards a sweet candied lemon peel, toasted maltiness, lingering intense leafy, grassy, citrus hop bitterness finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Listigovers (854) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 18, 2016
600mL. Amber pour, tan long lasting head. Malt and wood scent. Hoppy flavour, good oily palate, definite barrel presence, good beer rich IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
HippyHop (600) - Quebec, CANADA - NOV 16, 2015
Amber pour with a creamy one finger tan cap. I'm not sure what to make of this stuff. I get caramel and earth and wood and orange marmalade and pine and some sort of weird tangy element. Taste is a sweet, syrupy caramel malt with a nice balancing dose of resinous hop bitterness. I don't get as much bourbon barrel as some of the other reviews below, but I get enough to make me feel it's a little out of place. Look I drink a lot of beer and make absolutely none, so my opinion is very probably invalid. That being said I feel like they should just bottle this as a regular IIPA and save those bourbon barrels for a nice hearty stout. This stuff is by no means bad - it's actually pretty decent - but much like my buddy Tiki I feel like I should like it more than I do. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
gilvanblight (821) - Windsor, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 2, 2014
Stream Share what’s new... Text Photos Link Video Event Big Dude Likes Food Shared publicly - 03:30 Ending the night with some Screaming Beaver from Beaus This is an Oak Aged IPA. Which means I probably won’t like it much as it’s an IPA but I generally like strong aged stuff. We shall see.... Smells all hoppy like. Super hoppy like. The nose is all hops. Nothing but. Not that skunky stuff, the bitter grassy biting stuff. Hurts your nose just that little bit stuff. The mouth is an assault on the uvula. The hops runs back there and chokes it. IPA lovers will find much to like here. For me though, this is a bit much. Well not really a bit much: it’s a double IPA this is pretty much what I expected. Just not my style of beer. I dig the warmth of alcohol burn, but I don’t like that hops bitterness. Not my thing. That was probably too negative, but I’m not an IPA fan, I do dig strong beers though and I like that aspect of this. It’s worth putting up with the bitterness for me. Now if you already dig that style of beer you will probably love this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
YanIpa (144) - Quebec, CANADA - FEB 15, 2014
Couleur ambrée foncée. Un col moka mince. Arôme de houblon floral sur des notes légères dr Bourbon. En bouche, une bonne douceur malté doux et fruité avec une finale boisée. EXELLENTE

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
HogTownHarry (6374) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - FEB 2, 2014
Well holy crap - this is a rating. 600ml bottle from my Christmas present from my lovely wife. Clear deep amber with a huge lasting fluffy tan head. Not a lot of aroma - what I can get, I like - resin, light roast cereal, dry, not too sweet, definite alcohol but not burn-y. Taste - quite definitely west coast barley wine-ish ... dry, herbal, sorta resin, a lot of alcohol, citrus zest and mineral tang - damn this is good - I don’t get any barrel, apart from the almost dessicated dryness. Average to thin body, decent carbonation, medium-bitter, vaguely astringent, with a long borderline boozy bitter finish - I could feel the skin below my eyes drying out as I drank it, that’s my unofficial alcohol detector. Good stuff, if a little thin - I will have it again, I’m sure - SO much better than a similar monstrosity I remember having on cask at Volo a couple of years back. Here’s to you, Beau’s - I know you hate me because you think I hate you, but honestly you make good shit and obviously care. Kudos!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Alpha10 (575) - Ontario, CANADA - JAN 13, 2014
2014/01/13 - Pours a clear amber colour with a two finger foamy, off white that quickly reduces to a lasting surface film. Aroma is oak barrel, slight bourbon, vanilla and caramel malt. Taste is huge oak barrel, hop resin, bourbon, caramel and mild vanilla. Mouthfeel is medium with weak carbonation and a sweet, woody aftertaste. Not bad, but the oak barrel dominates the flavour profile. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Trev (2023) - Lakeville, Minnesota, USA - DEC 26, 2013
Amber pour. Thick head Aroma is vanilla, caramel, light fruit and spice hop. Flavour is vanilla, oak, light butter, med bitterness. Fruity and some toasted malt. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Freaky_tiki (1013) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 5, 2013
Screams out of the bottle with a maple syrup brown tone that is topped with a plush one finger cap. Bonus marks for the label design that came out of this lcbo 4 pack. This is a throaty double ipa: delivers a brisk, burnt toast flavour over the chewy hops you may be expecting. The barrel is louder than the beer. And the booze (on serious stealth mode here) is a creeper. I love bourbon; I love double IPAs. I should love this more, but I don’t.