Beaus Screamin’ Beaver (Bourbon Barrel Aged)

overall
Brewed by Beaus All Natural Brewing Co.
Style: Imperial/Double IPA
Vankleek Hill, Canada

RATINGS: 17   MEAN: 3.42/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.24   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
gilvanblight (775) - Windsor, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 2, 2014
Stream Share what’s new... Text Photos Link Video Event Big Dude Likes Food Shared publicly - 03:30 Ending the night with some Screaming Beaver from Beaus This is an Oak Aged IPA. Which means I probably won’t like it much as it’s an IPA but I generally like strong aged stuff. We shall see.... Smells all hoppy like. Super hoppy like. The nose is all hops. Nothing but. Not that skunky stuff, the bitter grassy biting stuff. Hurts your nose just that little bit stuff. The mouth is an assault on the uvula. The hops runs back there and chokes it. IPA lovers will find much to like here. For me though, this is a bit much. Well not really a bit much: it’s a double IPA this is pretty much what I expected. Just not my style of beer. I dig the warmth of alcohol burn, but I don’t like that hops bitterness. Not my thing. That was probably too negative, but I’m not an IPA fan, I do dig strong beers though and I like that aspect of this. It’s worth putting up with the bitterness for me. Now if you already dig that style of beer you will probably love this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
YanIpa (144) - Quebec, CANADA - FEB 15, 2014
Couleur ambrée foncée. Un col moka mince. Arôme de houblon floral sur des notes légères dr Bourbon. En bouche, une bonne douceur malté doux et fruité avec une finale boisée. EXELLENTE

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
HogTownHarry (6108) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - FEB 2, 2014
Well holy crap - this is a rating. 600ml bottle from my Christmas present from my lovely wife. Clear deep amber with a huge lasting fluffy tan head. Not a lot of aroma - what I can get, I like - resin, light roast cereal, dry, not too sweet, definite alcohol but not burn-y. Taste - quite definitely west coast barley wine-ish ... dry, herbal, sorta resin, a lot of alcohol, citrus zest and mineral tang - damn this is good - I don’t get any barrel, apart from the almost dessicated dryness. Average to thin body, decent carbonation, medium-bitter, vaguely astringent, with a long borderline boozy bitter finish - I could feel the skin below my eyes drying out as I drank it, that’s my unofficial alcohol detector. Good stuff, if a little thin - I will have it again, I’m sure - SO much better than a similar monstrosity I remember having on cask at Volo a couple of years back. Here’s to you, Beau’s - I know you hate me because you think I hate you, but honestly you make good shit and obviously care. Kudos!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Alpha10 (335) - Ontario, CANADA - JAN 13, 2014
2014/01/13 - Pours a clear amber colour with a two finger foamy, off white that quickly reduces to a lasting surface film. Aroma is oak barrel, slight bourbon, vanilla and caramel malt. Taste is huge oak barrel, hop resin, bourbon, caramel and mild vanilla. Mouthfeel is medium with weak carbonation and a sweet, woody aftertaste. Not bad, but the oak barrel dominates the flavour profile. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Trev (1936) - Lakeville, Minnesota, USA - DEC 26, 2013
Amber pour. Thick head Aroma is vanilla, caramel, light fruit and spice hop. Flavour is vanilla, oak, light butter, med bitterness. Fruity and some toasted malt. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Freaky_tiki (553) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 5, 2013
Screams out of the bottle with a maple syrup brown tone that is topped with a plush one finger cap. Bonus marks for the label design that came out of this lcbo 4 pack. This is a throaty double ipa: delivers a brisk, burnt toast flavour over the chewy hops you may be expecting. The barrel is louder than the beer. And the booze (on serious stealth mode here) is a creeper. I love bourbon; I love double IPAs. I should love this more, but I don’t.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
probstblueribbon (2919) - Nepean, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 1, 2013
600 mL bottle from LCBO served cool in a tulip glass. Clear mahogany with a nice tab had. Resinous, peppery, citrus, dark toffee malt, woodsy, leafy, some oak, stern. Medium body, relaxed effervescence. Deep maltiness, slightly peppery, a good bit of oak, resinous, burnt sugar, pine, quite stern and serious; almost dry with good bitterness and a long, deeply malty and resinous finish. Scream all you want, beaver. I’m still gonna drink you.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Lubiere (9999) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 2, 2013
A hazed dark amber ale with a thin mocha head. In aroma, nice floral hops over light bourbon barrel notes, and light sulfur notes, still nice. In mouth, a nice sweet fruity malt with floral hops treacle, vinous character, very nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
mabel (5805) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 27, 2013
[5073-20130118] 650 bottle. Oaked wood sweet malt aroma. Hazy, dark amber brown body quick foamy off-white head. Sweet oak barrel roasted malt flavour has a funny chocolate base. Full body. Interesting, super sweet but nice malt. (7/3/8/4/13) 3.5
(w/ blankboy, HogTownHarry, jercraigs)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
blankboy (6052) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 31, 2013
Bottle [600ml] shared with HogTownHarry, jerc & mabel -- c/o j&m. Pours amber-copper with a small bubbly off-white head. Aroma is big-time oak, a little too much for my liking, along with bourbon and vanilla. Flavour is sweet and sugary. with maple syrup, brown sugar, vanilla, bourbon and alcohol. Average bodied. The barrel-aging is just simply too much, there’s no sign of the underlying beer.