overall
Brewed by Beaus All Natural Brewing Co.
Style: Traditional Ale
Vankleek Hill, Canada

RATINGS: 19   MEAN: 3.26/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.13   IBU: 11   EST. CALORIES: 171   ABV: 5.7%
Legend has it that young maidens who wanted to know who their true love might be would sip upon a lavender brew and chant St. Luke’s Verse, imploring the saint to reveal their identity in her dreams that night. “St. Luke, St. Luke, be kind to me. In my dreams, let me my true love see.

Copper in colour, St. Luke’s Verse Gruit Ale offers up an aromatic herb-and-spice bouquet of lavender accented by thyme and rosemary. This is a flavourful, balanced beer that is highly nuanced but very approachable. St. Luke’s Verse was brewed in honour of Gruit Day, an international celebration of this style of beer brewed with a variety of herbs and spices in place of hops.

History & Style
Centuries ago it would have seemed odd to consider using only one herb to spice beer. Dozens of plants, such as bog myrtle, yarrow, heather, and juniper were commonly used in ancient brewing. These beers were known as Gruit or Grut (German for herb), and a brewers’ spice blend was a proprietary and carefully guarded secret. After the Reinheitsgebot (Bavarian Purity Act of 1516) ordered that only hops be used to spice beer, the Bavarian style of brewing took hold in most of Europe, and the gruit gradually faded into obscurity.

Luckily, some craft breweries have rediscovered this ancient form of brewing – visit the Gruit Day website – for a list of breweries participating in International Gruit Day 2014, each brewing up a different gruit ale to celebrate that day. Craft brewing is all about discovery and experimentation, and gruits are one of the best examples of this pioneering spirit!

Tasting Notes
This gruit ale’s intense lavender aroma is accentuated and enhanced with sub-notes of thyme and rosemary. St. Luke’s Verse exhibits firm flavours that parallel the aromatic bouquet, and present themselves in unison as a deliciously drinkable potpourri.

Food Pairings
Brewmaster Matthew O’Hara suggests a perfect pairing with a romantic dinner of raclette pour deux. (St. Luke whispered that it also pairs well with sweet nothings and gossamer wings.)

Technical Specs
ALC./VOL.: 5.7%
INGREDIENTS: Local Spring Water, Organic Barley Malts, Organic Hops, Organic Lavender, Organic Rosemary, Organic Thyme & Brewer’s Yeast.
MALTS: Pilsner, Caramel 20, Carafoam, Acidulated (All Organic)
HOPS / BITTERING: Lavender, Rosemary, Thyme, Perle Hops (All Organic)
IBU’S: 11
OG: 14.2°P
FG: 3.7°P
IDEAL SERVING TEMPERATURE: 6-9° C
SERVING GLASS: Goblet

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
cargo150 (775) - Quebec City, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 16, 2014
Belle couleur dorée avec un col assez résistant. Aromes de un peu trop intense lavendre et d’un bouquet de divers épices mélangé au céréales et a une touche d’agrumes... Complexe mais difficile a boire. Des points pour l’originalité mais sans plus.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
mabel (6673) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 12, 2014
[6171-20140204] Tap. Rosemary and thyme and lavender aroma. Hazy, brown body with a quick foamy white head. Buttery lavender thyme flavour reminds me of chicken and herbs. Medium body. Really interesting but I didn’t like it at first. (6/3/7/3/14) 3.3
(@ The Wallace Gastropub, Toronto, ON)

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Randy4Beer (245) - - DEC 5, 2014
A hazy orange colouring under a frothy white head that then breaks apart into chunky white islands floating individually in the glass. Looks like curdled milk. Have never seen beer head do that before. Aromas are just crazy. Lavender, shaving cream, flowers, chemical cleaners, and ginger. Creamy on the palate. Tastes are a very slight improvement on the aromas, that you have to try to ignore every time you stick your nose in the glass. It still tastes of strong lavender and ginger, and shampoo. If my wife bought a bar of lavender soap, and I took the run-off from the soap dish and poured it into my beer, I’d imagine it would look, smell and taste like this. I can say without hesitation this is my least favourite Beau’s beer ever.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
HippyHop (259) - Quebec, CANADA - DEC 3, 2014
This stuff is friggin weird. The nose is fragrant, if nothing else. Lots of lavender, some thyme (no rosemary that I could discern), lemon, all combining to make this weird, hippie herbal tea-like aroma. I feel like I should be eating a handful of shrooms with this beer. (And in a way it sort of reminds me of an idiotic moment in my youth when I tried to get high by eating a tablespoon of nutmeg. Of course I didn’t get high, but I burped nutmeg for about six hours. This beer has that same effect, only with lavender, but I digress horribly.) Taste-wise I’m at a loss. It tastes kind of like a normal beer up front, but the backwash is heavy, nostril-flaring lavender explosion, with a strange herbal/medicinal element that hangs around like a particularly resilient fart. If nothing else I DO sort of feel like I’m drinking an archaic, rustic and extinct variety of beer, and I’m definitely glad I tried it, but I’m not sure I need to try this particular offering again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
radiomgb (2385) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 3, 2014

600ml bottle from the LCBO in Peterborough, Ontario. Copper in colour with a very thin white head, little lacing. The aroma is of light lemons, lavender, some spice. The flavour is mainly lavender for me, some lemon citrus as well, herbal. Finishes lightly sweet, quick. Really well done, not at all what I was expecting. Very high drinkability.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Freaky_tiki (638) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 1, 2014
An adventurous brew. Serious lavender with each sip. Just below crossing the line of soapyness. Reminds me of this recipe for chicken I did from a French cookbook that involved a lavender based rub on pan seared chicken (its an awesome midweek dinner). Beneath the flowers you can definitely sense the thyme & rosemary, my bbq fiend tongue picks this up, it’s on a lot of the spice rubs I use. Ive tried other beers that use similar ingredients from other breweries that have totally bit the big one. Beaus seems to occupy a strange place in Canadian beer landscape: its loved & hated for the same reasons. I’m just going to go out on a limb & say in the past year, with their lcbo 4 pack seasonal samplers, I’m getting some of the more interesting ’local’ brews of the year (not awesome but interesting) & while I will probably never reach for this beer again I’m glad I tried it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Metalchopz (2402) - Cantley, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 11, 2014
Sampled at the 2014 Winterbrewed Craft Beer Festival on Valentines’ Day. Poured a hazy golden colour with a white cap, slightly creamy. Lemon sour nose with lavender and hints of mint. At least the taste is not sour (well, at least too much) with the citrus and spices. Wet mouthfeel. Quite interesting overall.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
robinvboyer (3259) - Sturgeon Falls, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 28, 2014
Really nice copper color with a small white head. Big aromas of lavender and ginger with some grassy spice. Sweet malts, no rosemary or thyme that i can detect. Next to no bitterness with a sweet, malty, ginger finish. Reminds me alot of ginger ale with lavender.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
JoeMcPhee (8551) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 21, 2014
Tap at C’est What. Deep amber pour. Nose is great - loads of ginger and lavender with a bit of sugary malt sweetness. A touch of berryish fruit along with a light earthiness. Ginger really persists but it doesn’t have any heat. Some lemon verbena like flavour along with a bit of honey. Pretty interesting brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
solidfunk (4477) - Washington D.C., Washington DC, USA - FEB 21, 2014
Beau’s is really starting to bring this gruit style together now. After a few of these they are starting to become interesting rather than gimmicky. Nice grain taste here. Smell is huge, with evident thyme and lavender. Pours cloudy orange with ok head and lacing, soft carbonation. Tap at Winterbrewed.