overall

RATINGS: 279   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.19   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
German Sapphire Hops. Smooth Taste.

felsenpils' rating

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
felsenpils (123) - Sacramento, California, USA - DEC 28, 2012
UPDATED: DEC 29, 2012 Yes, brewed in St. Louis by Budweiser. This is the higher gravity version of the "regular" Beck´s USA with a different label. I like the new brown bottle and the black labels, but the beer is nothing special, no identifiable aroma or flavor of German sapphire hops whatsoever. It is a little bit darker and stronger than the "regular" Beck´s USA and a lot more syrupy. I wonder if the sales of Becks´s brewed by Budweiser have been so poor that they decided to reinvent the product. Again, there is nothing wrong with this beer, except that it is way too expensive for Bud. Tastes nothing like Beck´s Germany at all. I have a real German Beck´s and a USA Beck´s in 2 identical glasses and the aroma alone gives them away quite clearly: the German Beck´s has a sweet, crystal malt aroma, the St. Louis Beck´s smells like Bud. This indicates that they are not using the original yeast strain from Germany in St. Louis. I believe that Budweiser has made the same mistake as Miller did when they decided to contract brew Lowenbrau instead of importing it. Too bad really, because I would have bought a lot of fresh Beck´s made in USA, but this stuff is just a mockery of the original.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
BlackHaddock (4692) - Shropshire, ENGLAND - MAY 20, 2015
20th May 2015: got to admit I thought I was buying an imported German product, very disappointed when I got the six pack back to my daughters to find it’s an AB brew. Anyway I haven’t even opened the 1st 12oz bottle yet, so here goes, a live tasting. Poured into a Corsendonk badged stemmed tulip glass it looks fine. Clear, clean, bright and golden, the head a white foam blanket. Let’s have a smell: not a lot going on in my nose, certainly no ’Sapphire Hop’ action, more like a wet cardboard box that had melted frozen sweet corn inside it last week. The taste is both metallic and grainy, the dust from the maltings, canned. Not too my liking at all. Would I have been so critical if it had been an import? I like to think so, but most likely not. I has quenched my thirst but I do not really want anymore of the six pack: hope my son-in-law like it better than me. Otherwise it will be drank with a curry, which might suit it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Frank (3270) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 12, 2015
This stuff is pretty good, I reckon. It’s clear orange and unfortunately headless but that is the only real strong negative. It smells lightly herbal w/ a bit of husky grain character. Some light sweetness brings out some floral and lemon tones from the hops. This is maybe slightly on the sweet side for my liking but it’s still reasonably drinkable, esp. for its six percent alcohol. Not gonna lie, I just assumed this beer would be total balls but it’s actually pretty good.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
johnnnniee (2730) - Bedford, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 6, 2015
16 oz can after an afternoon of painting. Looks innocent enough, pale yellow with a decent head. Thin watery mouthfeel, grainy corn and hints of metal. Even for a macro this isn’t that good.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Doug_Crawford (2) - Los Gatos, USA - MAY 3, 2015 does not count
Awful. ABI has once again managed to ruin a beer. If there was a "0" rating I would use it. This is a dull-witted failure to regain the Becks cache that was perfected over centuries. Hideous. Another fizzy, tasteless "Bud Light" with absolutely no aftertaste good or bad. Neutral, like water.

1.3
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
dhatton (137) - Mendham, New Jersey, USA - APR 12, 2015
Pretty basic lager appearance. Nose is muffled corn syrup. Sweet malt taste. Not impressed.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
beer_rookie (90) - Arkansas, USA - MAR 22, 2015
So this is a higher end beer? Yeah, right.... Aroma is of rubbing alcohol, it burns the nose...Appearance is okay starting with the bottle. The dark blue, or black bottle attracted me, but the pour, well. It pours a dark yellow. For some reason I expected blue, haha, silly me. But still wasn’t expected that dark of a yellow, it has a decent, thick, foamy head. Leaves a nice lacing as you swirl it....Taste isn’t really much, it’s more roasty than hoppy and it’s a little sweet. It has some maltiness too it that I don’t really care for....Mouthfeel, medium with a slickness to it. It’s not great....Overall, it’s not great, not offensive, but I wouldn’t recommend.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
darthmoore (16) - Michigan, USA - MAR 14, 2015
Thanks to the nearly black bottle this is the first Beck’s I’ve had that wasn’t skunky. It is everything you would expect from a mediocre pilsner. Better than bud but nothing special. It does however have a pleasant fruity aroma. I wouldn’t seek it out but wouldn’t turn one down either.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
MarkSachon (710) - Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 1, 2015
12 oz bottle from Giant Eagle in Pittsburgh. The fancy bottle and name don’t disguise the mediocrity of this beer. Don’t be fooled and avoid at all costs.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
DarkSong (330) - Dacula, Georgia, USA - JAN 8, 2015
It pours a pale gold color with almost no head. It has the aroma of cereal and a little hay. It tastes like a macro pale lager. It has no hop character or any strong flavors to it but it is generally pretty non offensive tasting. I wouldn’t buy this one again.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
mkel07 (4028) - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA - DEC 21, 2014
Bottle from Food Pantry Waikiki 211214. This is your typical pale lager with a very nasty aroma and and equally nasty flavour.