Resolute Brewing Beechwood Bock

Resolute Brewing
Brewed at The Twisted Hop

Style: Smoked
Christchurch, New Zealand

RATINGS: 1   MEAN: 3.8/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.9   IBU: 25   EST. CALORIES: 192   ABV: 6.4%
A malty amber lager enhanced by the use of beechwood smoked malt from Bamburg, Germany. Enjoy the savoury character of this hearty bock.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jimthechap (2064) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - JUL 26, 2012
The first thing I remember was standing up and applauding. Actually, this is not strictly speaking true. I was trying to tell my off-siders how there were German beers that used smoked beech malt and how it manifested itself in the flavours. It comes as a caramel and toffeeish assertion of the malt along with a certain carbon smokiness. Even now, I’m not sure my vocabulary is up to it. It is a certain identifiable, but indescribable quality that is appreciably imbibable. I’ve had a few beers that contained smoked beech malt and enjoyed every single one. This beer appeared a golden colour with a definite rosy tone to it and (once warmed to room temperature) the pungent and lovely smoked malt aroma. I’ve mentioned the flavours but inadequately. This beer: tasty, remarkable and I for one am delighted to see this style of malt used in this context here in New Zealand. More please.