overall
Brewed by Lao Brewery Co (Carlsberg)
Style: Amber Lager/Vienna
Vientiane, Laos

RATINGS: 229   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.59   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%

1.1
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
kermis (4256) - The Hague, NETHERLANDS - MAR 2, 2013
Pours clear brown with an off white head. Aroma of bile and caramel. Can’t even stand to drink more to add more info to the rating. Truly awful.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
jmgreenuk (3563) - The Hague, NETHERLANDS - MAR 1, 2013
Bottle courtesy of Kermis. The bottle looked nice. That’s where it all ends really. The flavour was a little malty and metallic. There is nothing on the palate.

1.1
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
worldbeertaste (1547) - AUSTRIA - MAR 1, 2013
Medium brown caramel with a white, non lacy, lasting head. Smell like raisins, caramel and if you try really hard you can almost get a hint of bile. Light thin body. Tastes of rot, dirt, some dark malt. It could be worse.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Benzai (6409) - Oirschot, THE NETHERLANDS, NETHERLANDS - MAR 1, 2013
Sampled from bottle @ Deanso. Clear amber to dark red color, small off-white head. Smell and taste malts, raisins, sweetness, slightly caramel, dark malts. Low body, low carbonation.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Nekronos (3603) - Xalapa, MEXICO - FEB 16, 2013
Very nice and sweet. Quite dark and strong in taste and features. VEry drinkable and enjoyable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
rickyleepotts (96) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - FEB 9, 2013
There are two beers on the list from the Lao Brewing Company. This is one of them, and we grabbed this the other night at Total Wine & More. We spent $100, so we have enough beer to last us a few weeks! I think shopping for beer is my favorite part. Anyway, this beer is brewed in Laos, a small country in Southeast Asia. I need to plan a trip to Asia. There is some great diving over there, and it is a part of the world I have never been. I don’t recall ever having this beer before, but I do like the Euro dark lager style. The tasting notes mention toffee and coffee… and while I do not expect a lot of those aromas (or flavor) I am sure it will be easy drinking and enjoyable. I didn’t realize they used rice in the brewing process. Makes sense, and I will be curious to see if that changes the flavor of the beer. Let’s drink! In the Glass: This is darker than I expected. It has a deep dark red color… almost brown. The head is nice, too. For a beer that I would assume is a domestic to Laos, I didn’t expect it to have much character. But the head is nice and white, and it has a decent lace. Nose: I thought I could smell this as I was pouring it in the glass, but Sheryl was making tea. She is on a tea kick right now… and I will admit, the stuff smells good. Doesn’t taste very good, but smells good. At any rate, this beer smells like a traditional Euro pale lager. Beers like this are typically sweet, and have a lot of different flavors going on. Hopefully this one won’t disappoint. Flavor: That’s actually really good. I am hooked on this home-grown rice thing. A few weeks ago, I had a wild rice double IPA that was amazing. The rice really came through in the flavor. The rice really comes through in this one, too. I can see what they mean about the beer being easy to drink. Bravo Lao Brewing Company. You have just thoroughly impressed me with this release! Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is soft, mellow, and leaves a nice little pillow of flavor on the back of the palate. They claim the rice is what mellows this beer… and if I didn’t know about the rice beforehand, I would comment on how easy this is to drink. I wonder if this beer would age for two or three years. Beers like this shouldn’t, but as mellow as this is, I wonder what it would taste like with seer carbonation. Aftertaste: The aftertaste is solid, as well. There is a hint of malt and some sublet hoppy characters creeping in there. If you didn’t know this beer was over 6% ABV, you could drink 6 of these and not even realize it! Very easy to drink with a lovely flavor. I bet this would also pair well with food. For our first experience with Beerlao Euro Dark Lager, I am very impressed. I will be buying more of this in the near future. I bet this would be a great beer to pair with some brown rice sushi or with an Asian chicken dish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
jrodooo5 (804) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - FEB 7, 2013
It pours a dark ruby red with a thin white head that leaves some significant lacing. The aroma has some semi-sweet malt flavors. The taste is fairly heavy on the malt but still pretty well balanced. It’s clean, crisp, and certainly drinkable at 6.5%. Not all that bad!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
GTAEgeek (1062) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - FEB 6, 2013
330 mL bottle. Dark brown with a medium, beige, creamy head. Nice honey notes, vanilla, caramel, and dates. Very sweet, and a little sour. Light to medium body, sticky, and a little watery. This is a pretty nice dark lager.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
AndreasJaeger (505) - Malmö, SWEDEN - FEB 5, 2013
Kopparbrun i färgen, smutsigt vitt skum. Doftar sur mörk malt, marsipan och gammalt rågbröd. Smakar rostad malt, söt marsipan, meineralisk, liten bitterrhet.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Ktwse (1474) - SWEDEN - JAN 31, 2013
Pours brown with burgundy tones, medium off-white head that drops quickly. Aroma of light roasted malt, raisins, cough syrup, hints of soy. Taste is non-descript at first but does turn better towards the finish with clear roasted malt sweetness balanced with bitterness. Body is a touch too light, but carbonation is controlled and overall a fairly decent beer.