overall
Brewed by Lao Brewery Co (Carlsberg)
Style: Amber Lager/Vienna
Vientiane, Laos

RATINGS: 234   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.58   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
climberbob (108) - Virginia, USA - AUG 21, 2012
Dark larger with a bit more flavor than the regular beer Lao. OK for something different in Lao, but that is about it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
rickyleepotts (98) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - FEB 9, 2013
There are two beers on the list from the Lao Brewing Company. This is one of them, and we grabbed this the other night at Total Wine & More. We spent $100, so we have enough beer to last us a few weeks! I think shopping for beer is my favorite part. Anyway, this beer is brewed in Laos, a small country in Southeast Asia. I need to plan a trip to Asia. There is some great diving over there, and it is a part of the world I have never been. I don’t recall ever having this beer before, but I do like the Euro dark lager style. The tasting notes mention toffee and coffee… and while I do not expect a lot of those aromas (or flavor) I am sure it will be easy drinking and enjoyable. I didn’t realize they used rice in the brewing process. Makes sense, and I will be curious to see if that changes the flavor of the beer. Let’s drink! In the Glass: This is darker than I expected. It has a deep dark red color… almost brown. The head is nice, too. For a beer that I would assume is a domestic to Laos, I didn’t expect it to have much character. But the head is nice and white, and it has a decent lace. Nose: I thought I could smell this as I was pouring it in the glass, but Sheryl was making tea. She is on a tea kick right now… and I will admit, the stuff smells good. Doesn’t taste very good, but smells good. At any rate, this beer smells like a traditional Euro pale lager. Beers like this are typically sweet, and have a lot of different flavors going on. Hopefully this one won’t disappoint. Flavor: That’s actually really good. I am hooked on this home-grown rice thing. A few weeks ago, I had a wild rice double IPA that was amazing. The rice really came through in the flavor. The rice really comes through in this one, too. I can see what they mean about the beer being easy to drink. Bravo Lao Brewing Company. You have just thoroughly impressed me with this release! Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is soft, mellow, and leaves a nice little pillow of flavor on the back of the palate. They claim the rice is what mellows this beer… and if I didn’t know about the rice beforehand, I would comment on how easy this is to drink. I wonder if this beer would age for two or three years. Beers like this shouldn’t, but as mellow as this is, I wonder what it would taste like with seer carbonation. Aftertaste: The aftertaste is solid, as well. There is a hint of malt and some sublet hoppy characters creeping in there. If you didn’t know this beer was over 6% ABV, you could drink 6 of these and not even realize it! Very easy to drink with a lovely flavor. I bet this would also pair well with food. For our first experience with Beerlao Euro Dark Lager, I am very impressed. I will be buying more of this in the near future. I bet this would be a great beer to pair with some brown rice sushi or with an Asian chicken dish.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
pianotu (65) - USA - AUG 18, 2009
Same tinge of carbonation as the regular lager. Root beer color, very slight toasty flavor, initial bitterness and no sign of any sweetness. Good watery drink to wash down spicy food but not much else.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
samistake2ice (35) - , Texas, USA - MAR 31, 2011
With so little option in variation of beer styles in SE Asia this was a fantastic suprise. By normal standards its not the greatest but i was happy to find it when i did.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
tashi (32) - London, ENGLAND - AUG 1, 2007
Chestnut brown with medium head; slightly soapy aroma. On the fizzy side, no heaviness (a plus given the climate) Honey-wheaty taste fruits up later but soon finishes. A refreshing beer, better cool than cold.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
guernica44 (14) - VIETNAM - FEB 19, 2012
For SE Asia, this beer is the best, for everywhere else, it’s ok. This dark, medium-bodied lager has some spicy notes, but is pretty mellow in flavor. Sweet molasses taste, no real head.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Dewnans (12) - LAOS - DEC 2, 2012
Forget the idea of a western style dark beer, thick and heavy. This is a dark lager for South-East Asian conditions. It has more flavour than the lighter "beerlao" lagers, but not so filling that you need to release the trouser belt a notch. A pleasant but not overpowering taste. If you are looking for a heavier beer in Laos try the ABC stout.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
LagerPhan (11) - USA - MAY 14, 2007
I drink this beer when I am going home to Laos. I find it is not good like Belgium beer drinking. I think it is better when drinking fresh, but I do not like the fizziness. There is no fizziness in drinking Belgium!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
egreener (11) - Petersburg, Michigan, USA - JAN 7, 2014
Found in 12 oz. bottle at an import bar in Hanoi, Vietnam. Pours dark with a creamy foam head that lingers. Malty, caramel, with subtle hint of fruit. Came back to the bar at least 2 more times for it because most of the commonly found beers in Vietnam are extremely light and slightly flavorless and I prefer a hearty darker brew. Same price as the light local stuff (35000 VND or $1.66 USD)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
JakobBKK (11) - Bangkok, THAILAND - NOV 3, 2012
Pours a dark brown with a small head and little lacing. Aromas are sweet, caramel and malt. The taste is a caramel and very little bitterness. All in all a decent dark beer that is very easy to drink. By far one of the best beers in Southeast Asia!