overall
Brewed by Lao Brewery Co (Carlsberg)
Style: Amber Lager/Vienna
Vientiane, Laos

RATINGS: 239   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.59   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
bradlyc77 (226) - Sebastopol, California, USA - MAY 7, 2009
UPDATED: MAY 11, 2009 Pours brown cola color and transparent. Better than regular Beer Lao with some caramel, chocolate, roasted malt, and dark/rye bread. Hardly a great schwartzbier, but an excellent alternative to the abundance of light lagers in Asia.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Slubgob (185) - West Hartford, USA - JUN 25, 2012
12 oz bottle pour. Dark copper, medium head.malty brown slightly sweet nose. Light malty in the mouth, some good in back.nothing special but a good alternative to light lagers with spicy Thai food.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
rw4244 (132) - Bristol, Gloucestershire, ENGLAND - SEP 16, 2006
Bottle, 33cl. Pours a rich, dark amber with a muddy white head of fairly large bubbles. Strong, rich malty and nutty aroma, with notes of grain, chocolate and alcohol. The taste is extremely nutty, leading to a very chewy palate. Notes of coffee with the initial sip, chocolate and grain definitely present. The aftertaste lasts - a nutty/alcoholic bitterness, reflecting the strength of this beer. As mentioned, the palate is chewy and thick in the mouth (you almost want to bite into it...). This may look like a dark lager, but drinks much more like a tropical stout. Amid the hordes of poor Asian lagers this rarely seen brew really stood out to me. Though it may not go down as easily as a beer lao on a hot day, I recommend it.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
climberbob (108) - Virginia, USA - AUG 21, 2012
Dark larger with a bit more flavor than the regular beer Lao. OK for something different in Lao, but that is about it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Neorej80 (102) - - AUG 13, 2014
South-East Asia is not a fantastic place for beer, although there are some pretty good ones. This Lao beer is one of them. Dark, smooth. A nice white head, good roasted flavours and some chocolate / caramel flavours.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
rickyleepotts (99) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - FEB 9, 2013
There are two beers on the list from the Lao Brewing Company. This is one of them, and we grabbed this the other night at Total Wine & More. We spent $100, so we have enough beer to last us a few weeks! I think shopping for beer is my favorite part. Anyway, this beer is brewed in Laos, a small country in Southeast Asia. I need to plan a trip to Asia. There is some great diving over there, and it is a part of the world I have never been. I don’t recall ever having this beer before, but I do like the Euro dark lager style. The tasting notes mention toffee and coffee… and while I do not expect a lot of those aromas (or flavor) I am sure it will be easy drinking and enjoyable. I didn’t realize they used rice in the brewing process. Makes sense, and I will be curious to see if that changes the flavor of the beer. Let’s drink! In the Glass: This is darker than I expected. It has a deep dark red color… almost brown. The head is nice, too. For a beer that I would assume is a domestic to Laos, I didn’t expect it to have much character. But the head is nice and white, and it has a decent lace. Nose: I thought I could smell this as I was pouring it in the glass, but Sheryl was making tea. She is on a tea kick right now… and I will admit, the stuff smells good. Doesn’t taste very good, but smells good. At any rate, this beer smells like a traditional Euro pale lager. Beers like this are typically sweet, and have a lot of different flavors going on. Hopefully this one won’t disappoint. Flavor: That’s actually really good. I am hooked on this home-grown rice thing. A few weeks ago, I had a wild rice double IPA that was amazing. The rice really came through in the flavor. The rice really comes through in this one, too. I can see what they mean about the beer being easy to drink. Bravo Lao Brewing Company. You have just thoroughly impressed me with this release! Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is soft, mellow, and leaves a nice little pillow of flavor on the back of the palate. They claim the rice is what mellows this beer… and if I didn’t know about the rice beforehand, I would comment on how easy this is to drink. I wonder if this beer would age for two or three years. Beers like this shouldn’t, but as mellow as this is, I wonder what it would taste like with seer carbonation. Aftertaste: The aftertaste is solid, as well. There is a hint of malt and some sublet hoppy characters creeping in there. If you didn’t know this beer was over 6% ABV, you could drink 6 of these and not even realize it! Very easy to drink with a lovely flavor. I bet this would also pair well with food. For our first experience with Beerlao Euro Dark Lager, I am very impressed. I will be buying more of this in the near future. I bet this would be a great beer to pair with some brown rice sushi or with an Asian chicken dish.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
pianotu (65) - USA - AUG 18, 2009
Same tinge of carbonation as the regular lager. Root beer color, very slight toasty flavor, initial bitterness and no sign of any sweetness. Good watery drink to wash down spicy food but not much else.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
samistake2ice (35) - , Texas, USA - MAR 31, 2011
With so little option in variation of beer styles in SE Asia this was a fantastic suprise. By normal standards its not the greatest but i was happy to find it when i did.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
tashi (32) - London, ENGLAND - AUG 1, 2007
Chestnut brown with medium head; slightly soapy aroma. On the fizzy side, no heaviness (a plus given the climate) Honey-wheaty taste fruits up later but soon finishes. A refreshing beer, better cool than cold.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
guernica44 (14) - VIETNAM - FEB 19, 2012
For SE Asia, this beer is the best, for everywhere else, it’s ok. This dark, medium-bodied lager has some spicy notes, but is pretty mellow in flavor. Sweet molasses taste, no real head.