overall
Brewed by Lao Brewery Co (Carlsberg)
Style: Amber Lager/Vienna
Vientiane, Laos

RATINGS: 229   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.59   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
beeracoon (414) - - DEC 5, 2012
Medium white head. Sparkling clear dark brown colour. Uniquely sweet honey rice aroma and something I cannot really fathom. Wonderfully caramelly roasty taste with a lasting palate. A true gem.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Beerbarella (322) - - DEC 5, 2012
330 ml bottle. Pours clear dark brown with a small white head. Roasty caramel and rice aroma. Tastes of rice and honey, but it is not sweet and there is a very mild bitterness to it. Mild palate with a pleasant bitterness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Dewnans (12) - LAOS - DEC 2, 2012
Forget the idea of a western style dark beer, thick and heavy. This is a dark lager for South-East Asian conditions. It has more flavour than the lighter "beerlao" lagers, but not so filling that you need to release the trouser belt a notch. A pleasant but not overpowering taste. If you are looking for a heavier beer in Laos try the ABC stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
nuplastikk (4132) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 1, 2009
12oz bottle courtesy of Ann. Pretty medium colored for a dark beer, transparent tan-brown color. Mild sugary sweet aroma. Toasty, some mild dark chocolate tastes. I’d drink the hell out of this beer if I resided in Laos. Smooth, with a quality mouthfeel. This is pretty harshly underrated. A nice Schwarzbier all the way.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Chad9976 (1083) - Albany, New York, USA - JUN 8, 2011
I poured an 11.2oz bottle into a tumbler.

Appearance: Straight brown, mostly opaque but some transparency to it. Large sediment chunks floating throughout the body. Forms a small, tan, foamy head with low retention and lacing.

Smell: Slightly sweet notes of iced coffee and toffee, but with a strong generic lager backbone aroma.

Taste: For a lager from a country not associated with quality beer, Beerlao Dark Lager is impressive by just how flavorful it is. The beer is remarkable sweet with flavors of coffee ice cream, toasted malts and a pleasant aftertaste. I’ve never encountered an American dark lager with this much flavor, so to get this kind of palate from Laos is very surprising (and pleasantly so).

The palate here isn’t as thick and sticky as a stout, nor is it as roasted-tasting, as it does have the thinner, lighter taste of a lager. The coffee-like flavor incorporates slight bitterness, but complemented by a very tasty confectionary sweetness of sugar, cream and toffee.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied to the letter - neither thick nor thin. Not fizzy, either. Residual sweet flavors too.

Drinkability: The bottle indicates this beer weighs in at 6.4% ABV, but it definitely do not drink as such. The alcohol probably accounts for the robustness, but has no effect on the drinkability. The medium mouthfeel and low carbonation make for an utterly smooth lager. The sweet, flavorful palate makes it something of a liquid dessert, although I’d imagine it would pair well with authentic Laotian food.

Overall, this is a diamond in the rough and a hidden gems of beer stores everywhere. Give it a try and you’ll be see what I mean.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
rw4244 (132) - Bristol, Gloucestershire, ENGLAND - SEP 16, 2006
Bottle, 33cl. Pours a rich, dark amber with a muddy white head of fairly large bubbles. Strong, rich malty and nutty aroma, with notes of grain, chocolate and alcohol. The taste is extremely nutty, leading to a very chewy palate. Notes of coffee with the initial sip, chocolate and grain definitely present. The aftertaste lasts - a nutty/alcoholic bitterness, reflecting the strength of this beer. As mentioned, the palate is chewy and thick in the mouth (you almost want to bite into it...). This may look like a dark lager, but drinks much more like a tropical stout. Amid the hordes of poor Asian lagers this rarely seen brew really stood out to me. Though it may not go down as easily as a beer lao on a hot day, I recommend it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
littletrail (2) - USA - MAR 27, 2008 does not count
It is a great beer. I am prety used to the standard beer lao but this is a quality addition to what they do best. Its a little bitter and heavy but it is a great mix of the pluses of most darks I have head with a lot less drawbacks.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
rickyleepotts (97) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - FEB 9, 2013
There are two beers on the list from the Lao Brewing Company. This is one of them, and we grabbed this the other night at Total Wine & More. We spent $100, so we have enough beer to last us a few weeks! I think shopping for beer is my favorite part. Anyway, this beer is brewed in Laos, a small country in Southeast Asia. I need to plan a trip to Asia. There is some great diving over there, and it is a part of the world I have never been. I don’t recall ever having this beer before, but I do like the Euro dark lager style. The tasting notes mention toffee and coffee… and while I do not expect a lot of those aromas (or flavor) I am sure it will be easy drinking and enjoyable. I didn’t realize they used rice in the brewing process. Makes sense, and I will be curious to see if that changes the flavor of the beer. Let’s drink! In the Glass: This is darker than I expected. It has a deep dark red color… almost brown. The head is nice, too. For a beer that I would assume is a domestic to Laos, I didn’t expect it to have much character. But the head is nice and white, and it has a decent lace. Nose: I thought I could smell this as I was pouring it in the glass, but Sheryl was making tea. She is on a tea kick right now… and I will admit, the stuff smells good. Doesn’t taste very good, but smells good. At any rate, this beer smells like a traditional Euro pale lager. Beers like this are typically sweet, and have a lot of different flavors going on. Hopefully this one won’t disappoint. Flavor: That’s actually really good. I am hooked on this home-grown rice thing. A few weeks ago, I had a wild rice double IPA that was amazing. The rice really came through in the flavor. The rice really comes through in this one, too. I can see what they mean about the beer being easy to drink. Bravo Lao Brewing Company. You have just thoroughly impressed me with this release! Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is soft, mellow, and leaves a nice little pillow of flavor on the back of the palate. They claim the rice is what mellows this beer… and if I didn’t know about the rice beforehand, I would comment on how easy this is to drink. I wonder if this beer would age for two or three years. Beers like this shouldn’t, but as mellow as this is, I wonder what it would taste like with seer carbonation. Aftertaste: The aftertaste is solid, as well. There is a hint of malt and some sublet hoppy characters creeping in there. If you didn’t know this beer was over 6% ABV, you could drink 6 of these and not even realize it! Very easy to drink with a lovely flavor. I bet this would also pair well with food. For our first experience with Beerlao Euro Dark Lager, I am very impressed. I will be buying more of this in the near future. I bet this would be a great beer to pair with some brown rice sushi or with an Asian chicken dish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 16/20
Grzesiek79 (2969) - Radom, POLAND - NOV 2, 2012
Smaczne piwo o brązowo-czerwonym kolorze. Ciemne piwa egzotyczne są jednak trochę przesłodzone ale mimo to niezła ciekawostka smakowa

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Nekronos (3603) - Xalapa, MEXICO - FEB 16, 2013
Very nice and sweet. Quite dark and strong in taste and features. VEry drinkable and enjoyable.