overall
Brewed by Belhaven (Greene King)
Style: Scotch Ale
Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 1310   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56/5   EST. CALORIES: 222   ABV: 7.4%
Bottle: Pasteurised, export only.
previously 6.5% Belhaven Wee Heavy has a rich deep flavor. A beer to be sipped, savoured and fully respected.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Frank (3892) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 10, 2004
Smpled on nitro-tap so it looked like a brown beer from a nitro-tap, which I still think looks nice despite the fact that I know seeing it is precursor to a flat, boring mouthfeel. Weak aroma with a touch of that vomity nitrogen smell. Sweet and malty with a slight sour tang. Syrupy on the palate and flat (of course). I’d like to try this agian from a regular bottle. Sorry this rating turned out to be more of a critique on nitro-taps than of Belhaven Wee Heavy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - AUG 5, 2004
Pours dark amber with thick rich head...smells malty and peaty with a hint of tartness...tastes almost the same...finishes smooth and thick...definately yummy...

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
drooge99 (4) - New York, USA - AUG 4, 2004 does not count
This is a serious ale that makes up in body what it lacks in flavor. Dry, not too aromatic. Taste reminds me of meat. I’ll have another!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Emil (6065) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - AUG 3, 2004
Dark amber color, heavy malty aroma light fruity taste, medium body, light alcohol finish. Not my kind of beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mongkut4 (132) - Florida, USA - JUL 31, 2004
I’ve been a Belhaven Scottish Ale fan for years. Just recently I discovered the Holy Grail of Florida Beer Stores, World of Beer in Clearwater. They introduced me to what is now my favorite beer. Unfortunately it appears this beer is not easy to come by and not even represented on Belhaven’s website. Woe is me......

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Choos (709) - Taylors Hill, AUSTRALIA - JUL 28, 2004
Aroma: initially slightly lagery and faint giving way too generous malt, prune and peaty smoke. Appearance: Dark red, seems perfectly clear with an off white head. Flavour: magnificently malty with a lovely hit of slightly smokey sticky fruits. A tiny hit of wood and an even smaller hint of metal is present. Palate: noticeable carbonation but this is magnificent in that it is so thick it almost has a slightly oily mouthfeel similar to an imperial stout. Plenty of people on ratebeer said as a doppelbock lover I would enjoy this and they were so very correct!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Metalhead (643) - Lake Zurich, Illinois, USA - JUL 24, 2004
I had this after a Youngs Old Nick. At first I was not impressed at first but as it warmed the heavy malt,prunes? mild peat and subtle smoke/wood finish came thru. I wanted to both hurry thru yet at the same time savor this fine brew. Solid

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dbx540 (17) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUL 21, 2004
Beautiful bouget, nice head. The flavor is its force, one of my favourit. Perfect balanced with great palate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Reid (2254) - Salem, Oregon, USA - JUL 18, 2004
Ok last Scottish beer of this weekend..to celebrate the Portland Highland Games. Belhaven always a fav of mine back in Scotland. This beer is extremelly attractive ..a dark brown almost mahogany colour with a large off white creamy/frothy head..it goes down somewhat but it stays in reduced form till the bottom of the glass. Very fresh , slightly smoky malt aroma..very nice. apart from the expected yet well dome malt sweetness.later i detect, smoked peat, dark fruits like prunes and figs,Scottish "tablet"( a candy),a slight hint of hops and some very nice alcohol..warmth in the mid throat. Very nice and smooth on the palte despite the array of flavours. A very good Scotch Ale perhaps the best,,very drinkable indeed. If only I could get this in a 12 pack my Oregon winters would be so much brighter!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
bluevegie (3071) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - JUL 13, 2004
Dark chocolatey brown colour with some orange tinges. Medium size tan coloured head that had fine beading and lasted the distance. Rich chocolate, cocoa and coffee malt aromas. Flavour was quite complex, caramel, a touch of smokey peat, broth, liquorice, dried fruit, chocolate, plenty of flavours but not quite as filling as you would think. Anyhow when I tried this over a year ago I didn’t think much of it but now I reckon it is more to my liking. Cheers.