overall
Brewed by Belhaven (Greene King)
Style: Scotch Ale
Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 1236   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Bottle: Pasteurised, export only.
Belhaven Wee Heavy has a rich deep flavor. A beer to be sipped, savoured and fully respected.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Nuffield (3754) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - SEP 24, 2002
I was drawn to purchase this beer by the sound of the pipes still resonating in my ears, ten years after I gave up active piping. From the very beginning I was doing flips like a well-tossed caber for the sheer delight of this beer. The initial appearance had me suspect, as it jiggled in my glass like a pleated kilt, but I was entranced like tourists looking for Nessie as I found curious streams of impossibly tiny bubbles sourced at the side of my glass--really, I couldn’t keep my eyes off these little streams of bubbles. Not as dark as soot from a Glaswegian mill, but rather tinged with the amber colors of Scotch-Irish locks. The aroma was not overpowering but solid with maltiness. On tasting the beer leapt onto my tongue like a bonxie [Great Skua] onto my head--a combination of slight overcarbonation and a bold hit of dark caramel and smokey flavors. True, slightly thin, but like a loch, it makes up for in the depth and length what it lacks in width. A little bitterness came out, but it was overpowered by sweetness like the Scottish cricket team is overpowered by any third-rate English county side. All the benefits of an English strong ale plus the malty sweetness of the Scottish tradition. Overall, I was really quite pleased with this beer--lots of flavor in a proper-sized bottle--with lots of inspiration for plenty of cliches and poorly composed similes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
flutetokill (523) - Fresno, California, USA - SEP 22, 2002
My new favorite! Very malty, nice full body, slightly smoky but not overpowering.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
beerguy101 (5319) - Newark, California, USA - SEP 17, 2002
Dark brown color, medium head. A medium bodied Scottish ale. Very malty, slightly smoky. Nicely hopped. Good balance. Full flavor, complex taste. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is dry. Aftertaste is slightly bitter

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MOboy (505) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - SEP 5, 2002
As I am not a real fan of scottish ales, this was a very pleasant suprise for me. The beautiful strong malt backbone was appearant in the aroma and once I dove in and tasted it, the malt just slapped me on my ass. It’s nice to know that someone can brew a scottish ale that is more than just aroma and not overly watery.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dickinsonbeer (5076) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - SEP 3, 2002
Best scottish I’ve had yet. Better than skullsplitter because this one actually has some peated malt-skullsplitter has almost none. The peated comes out in the aroma and again in the aftertaste, but the middle is nice and sweet with a full mouthfeel. Awesome red color with nice off-white head. A classic Strong scottish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
foduck (330) - Denton, Texas, USA - JUL 27, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 1, 2003 Sweet caramel aroma. Big rocky head that lasted. Lots of maltiness. Just the right amount of carbonation. Went well with my steak dinner. Very tasty, very scottish. I love Scottish ales because they have that distinct Scottish flavor and this is full of it. Very earthy aroma.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
karsten (240) - odense, DENMARK - JUL 26, 2002
Sourish, caramel, sweetish aroma and flavour. Slightly refreshing and not heavy enough for a wee heavy!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
muzzlehatch (4422) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - JUL 18, 2002
500 ml bottle. Dark ruby/brown with massive lasting head. Lovely earthy/sweet aroma; flavor almost as good, smoky and caramel-tinted with a great soft smooth body and warming finish. After the last two crappy VT beers I had tonight, a welcome change. Getting back into Scottish ales, I think...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
kumite56 (472) - Cordova, Tennessee, USA - JUL 14, 2002
Excellent scottish ale without too much alcohol content. Beer taste bigger than it is with a mouthfull of malt / chocolate taste. Medium bodied with a smallish off white head.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - JUL 13, 2002
Very dark. Great smokey, malt taste. I was surprised by the heaviness of this beer. Great taste.