overall

RATINGS: 1334   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.42   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Made from mostly pale malt and some Munich and caramel malts. These add a little sweetness, which is balanced by more hops. The result is a rich color and fruity flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Aggie80 (785) - Michigan, USA - JUN 8, 2002
Slightly sweet, pretty color, nice touch of hops. Very refreshing and went well with a nice meal on a veranda watching the crowds walk by.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
popilius (61) - Chicagoland, Illinois, USA - JUN 4, 2002
I enjoy this brew frequently on tap in a Chicago jazz club- it’s full-bodied with just a pinch of sweetness, but balanced perfectly. Nice color, and has that unique, consistent Bells flavor. Actually, I’m a Bells Amber ambassador. It may not be for everyone, but it’s one of my very favorites. I probably enjoy it more than most; every one I’ve had has been quite enjoyable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jfishback13 (275) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - MAY 25, 2002
This is a good Amber beer. There is a strong malty aftertaste, but it can be quite charming as long as it doesn’t turn you off.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
SJP (483) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 23, 2002
A little sweet and a nice hop flavor. Looks and smells excellent, but there was a mild soapy flavor that really ruined it for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
brownalegirl (199) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - MAY 22, 2002
I’ve never been as big a fan of this as other people. Seems out of kilter.

mhassing99 (1) - Zimmerman, Minnesota, USA - MAY 13, 2002 does not count
For me, this is the best beer that I have ever had. All other beers must attempt to be this good.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Odin (123) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - APR 28, 2002
Silky smooth. One just isn’t enough. If you ever get a chance to try this as the tan in a black and tan... take that chance. You won’t be dissapointed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
JoeM500 (1902) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - APR 22, 2002
I spotted my landlord drinking Busch, so I picked him up a six of these. He has been adventurous in the past with my fridge full of three floyds stuff, so he eagerly gulped the first one. I grabbed one to rate: I’m not sure about the description of ’fruity flavor’, it was sweet and malty with enough hops to make a presence. Very drinkable and refreshing, my landlord loved them, but I’ll choose their Two Hearted over this.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
olympian (107) - USA - APR 19, 2002
I always think of Amber as Larry’s ’flagship’ brew. It’s a very good amber ale; with just a dab less malt prominence it would be one of my favorites. Also one of Bell’s most consistent brews - it always tastes the same (some of his seasonal beers vary wildly from one year to the next, as might be expected). 20 years ago it would have been a pipe dream to find an amber ale this good that was brewed this side of the Atlantic, and that is saying a great deal. RE-RATE BEGINS HER: Lately, I have had this more frequently on draft than in bottles, and I have to up it a bit. My original rating (3.3) I stick to for bottle, but on draft, this is *truly* good! Yet another beer that you haven’t really had until you’ve had it off the tap.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jaymobrown (1617) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 15, 2002
I try to get it whenever I can.