overall

RATINGS: 1393   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.42   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Made from mostly pale malt and some Munich and caramel malts. These add a little sweetness, which is balanced by more hops. The result is a rich color and fruity flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
spclerk (47) - Minnesota, USA - FEB 12, 2006
A really nice beer. Pours orangey amber with a decent head that dissipates pretty quickly. Aroma is sweet citrus, flavor is malty and sweet -- the sweetness increases with drinking but never becomes cloying. It tastes as if there is some wheat in this brew but I have no idea. On the bottle it says "A unique copper ale crafted from mostly pale malts for a rich, sweet flavor unlike any other." Hey, they’re right.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BeerBellyOSU (47) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - FEB 21, 2007
Nice opaque amber color, fluffy white head. Very sweet to my nose, sweet fruits and caramel. Hoppier than I would have guessed from the aroma, but still a pleasantly balanced beer, but nothing special. Winking Lizard Tour 2007

Bluegoosed (47) - - JUL 5, 2014
I really prefer IPAs and Stouts but one of the better ales that I’ve had. Nice malt with touch of caramel flavors.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Lehighbri (46) - Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 21, 2012
Citrusy aroma with nice amber color and frothy head. Smooth through the finish. All around a solid amber ale.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
soulrefugee (46) - Illinois, USA - APR 30, 2006
This tastes like a quality brew, but they said it had a sweetness and based on that I bought some. It was too hoppy to really be sweet. The malts didn’t really "balance" the hops flavor either, in my opinion. By being adaptable and changing my expectations based on what I now know to be true about this brew, I will gladly finish the six pack, since, after all, it is quality brew. However, I wasn’t really after the bitter hops flavor at all, so I feel its misrepresented.

Superstar (45) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 1, 2003
Smooth and rich with a nice sweet finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
roacheater (43) - Alabama, USA - AUG 3, 2003
Sometimes good, sometimes not. When it's good the malt profile is awesome. Lots of rich complexity that has a solid backbone well into the finish. Easily one of the best. When it's bad, however, there is a persistent sourness that wrecks the beer. Serving it very cold alleviates the problem a little. If I could be assured of getting the "good" version each time I made a purchase then I would always have this in my fridge. Instead, the schizophrenic quality control issue relegates this brew to a dissappointed glance each time I see it on the shelf. When this beer is good I would rate it close to a 4.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
vtmobile (43) - Alabama, USA - DEC 11, 2002
nice color and a good white head. aroma is distantly fruity and a little faintly alcohol, not altogether pleasant. palate is predominantly hopped, bitter aftertaste with high carbonation. The palate is complex for an amber, lacks the usual caramel flavors and has no sweetness. Bitterness is more reminiscent of an IPA. This is a good, drinkable beer, but not one I buy again. Judging from the other comments, the draft variety is a different animal than the one from the bottle and I would like to try that one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
BEERSOLDIER (42) - Illinois, USA - FEB 28, 2014
Color is a amber/caramel which is hazy. and pours a big off white head, lacing is ok. Aroma is sweet, fruity, herbal, and a little floral. very sweet up front but finishes a little bitter, nice contrast. has a nice carbonated feel on the tongue. nice flavors but could be a little more prominent. Try it if you see it but don’t run out to grab a six pack right this second.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
fogdoctor (41) - Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 16, 2009
Pint glass, from bottle, about 40deg F. Pours translucent cloudy amber with little head. A low level of carbonation and a very rich creamy texture that lingers on the palate. Strong taste of cane sugar, caramel, malt, and finishes with a mild hoppy bitterness. After the beer warmed up a but there was a very nice shot of orange and citrus that was unexpected. This beer is quite good. It could use a little more bitterness to balance the sugars and more carbonation to enhance the finish. Regardless, it is a tasty brew that I will have again.