overall

RATINGS: 1374   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.42   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Made from mostly pale malt and some Munich and caramel malts. These add a little sweetness, which is balanced by more hops. The result is a rich color and fruity flavor.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 8, 2002
I am not a huge fan of ambers, but the hops in this one made it a bit better than others I have had.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
DarkElf (3033) - La Jolla, California, USA - FEB 13, 2006
(12 oz bottle: Obtained 30-Jan-06 in trade with Sully, thanks Mike!) Batch 7206. The fruity and vaguely malty nose isnít especially aromatic, but thatís okay, this beer isnít especially flavorful or interesting either. Generic maltiness I normally attribute to a pale ale at a mediocre brewpub is moderately sweet, fruitiness is up-front, and grassy hops is mildly bitter for acceptable balance, but the flavor is just plain boring. I occasionally taste a bit of herb and spice, the distant flavor of coriander being triggered in my mind. Medium "plus" body is very nice, as is the moderate carbonation, but this beer sits lifelessly on the palate because the beer lacks any snap or zip. Dirty orange color is fully cloudy and the small, foamy, off-white head shows solid retention and patchy lacing. Even though Bellís makes a lot of great beers, this totally failed to capture my attention and is a below-average amber ale to me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
KingpinIPA (841) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 12, 2006
Light golden color. Smells sweet. Taste is ok. I can taste tons of sweet malt but I wouldnt drink this all the time.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
bdjames29 (273) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUN 14, 2006
I was trying my best to really enjoy this beer becasue I have enjoeyed enerything from Bells in the past and I had high hopes. The appearance I thought was wonderful. Beautiful amber color with a thick frothy white/light orange head. Then I smelled and was dismayed - maybe I had a bad night but the aroma was just pukey. I thought the palate was enjoyable - fairly full body. I just didnít enjoy the flavor - not a whole lot there. I will try it again - maybe it was me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
oh6gdx (20602) - Vasa, FINLAND - SEP 17, 2006
Bottled. Hazy orange colour, small white head. Aroma of fruity hops and slight yeasty notes. Flavour is hayish and grassy hops. Same all the way through. Sticky palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Panzuriel (1316) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - AUG 30, 2002
This beer is very bitter and very hoppy. The hops are almost overpowering. Greatly distracting from my enjoyment from the rest of the brew. I donít quite get it. Maybe I donít have tolerance for hops or something. Every time someone mentions nice restrained hops, I can rest assured that Itís going to make my mouth burn. So, thatís my soapbox rant for today.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
jujubeast6000 (854) - Houston, Texas, USA - NOV 7, 2006
12oz bottle: Pours a good sized head, lasting. Creamy, white, small bubbles. Very malty aroma, not too strong. Sweet malty taste, Fat Tire/Newcastle-ish. Very malty, not balanced malt taste.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Airlifter (118) - Shawnee, Kansas, USA - FEB 17, 2008
A light copper color with lots of sediment. Head is a frothy tan. Not much aroma. Flavor is a bit too sweet. Hoppy, but not bitter, with a hint of straw and nuttiness. Not all that great.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Gustav1996 (333) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - FEB 23, 2010
UPDATED: MAR 14, 2010 Pours a cloudy copper with a medium white head. Aroma and taste are a muddy mix of bread, earth, faint fruits and some hint of hops. I was not very happy with this brew from Bellís... everything was just too muddy... nothing bold or even defined. They make some very good beers but this one just didnít work for me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
sbanach (222) - Alabama, USA - NOV 9, 2010
Sample at Bellís brewery at Eccentric Cafe. Looks amber color, smells carmel, hoppy. Tastes like a mild ale. Thin head, no lace, thin ring. No session brew. Pairs well with a heavy beef, pork roast dish. I wouldnít drink it on its own. Would have again..