Bells Batch 4000 Ale

Bells Batch 4000 Ale
     click to upload
overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 129   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
A commemorative brew celebrating Kalamazoo Brewing Company's 4000th batch. Considered to be a "double-mild" in style, Batch 4000 uses Sterling hops from a small farm in the Willamette Valley, and debuts an exclusive barley-malt, by Breiss Malting. It shows off some characteristics from the traditional English Mild, while doubling up the flavor profile and alcohol content. Brewed in February of 2000, this is beer is a one-time only brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
labattblueleaf (225) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - JUL 21, 2002
Amber color. Don’t get scared off by all the ’stuff’ floating in it. This beer is a knockout!!! Crisp, smooth flavor and not extremely powerful in terms of taste. Actually kind of a sweet flavor. Sucks the moisture out of your mouth just like Canada Dry Ginger Ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
raindog (560) - Evansville, Indiana, USA - JUL 6, 2002
WHOA! Bottle cap still expolodes of bottle releasing aromas of grapey malts.Pours a sparkling amber beer with a huge head that came up to the top of the snifter. Aromas of a fine old ale almost.This is the best aged ale I have had.It is bursting with flavor. The front is mellow,earthy,grainy. IT is followed by a showcase of juicy,estery,toffee-like malt flavors.I could swear there is some pale chocolate malt in there. Incredible. Still some subtle bitterness in there but not much and it doesn’t really matter.Way above expectations.Hey Kevin.Thanks so much for this gem.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
FUNK (120) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 22, 2001
I agree a very complex beer. I was grateful for the chace to sample one and save the bottle for my collection.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
kmweaver (3207) - Petaluma, California, USA - JUL 16, 2006
Courtesy of artusory (from Walleye). Fluffy head, decent retention. Orange appearance with a reddish core; think sunset. Candy sugar, orange peel on the nose. Slightly oxidized, but still magical. Malt and orange in the mouth, viscous, with a completely unexpected finish of chocolate and maple syrup. A surprising, layered strong ale.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
1FastSTi (3338) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 20, 2006
Thanks Joel! The beer pours to a glowing dark amber body. Clean on first pour, hazy and murky further through the bottle. The aroma is earthy, twigs, stewed apples, barleywine characteristics. Light mint. The flavor has really held up well. It’s earthy, woodsy, cinnamon, barleywine-ish. Herbs. The palate is rich, not oxidized at all, concentrated feel. Great! Such a delight to try! Bring it back Larry!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
walleye (1067) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - FEB 22, 2005
from the bottle poured a orangish copper with a off white head. aroma a nice combination of honey and brown sugar malts, sweet fruits, hops, caramel, raisins. flavor, a nice sweetness comes out wow, honey sugar, grapes apples all the sweet fruits do I taste a touch of mango? I am sure glad JTW did not buy all of them. thanks for leaving a couple for the rest of us.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Brad (364) - Berkley, Michigan, USA - MAR 21, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 1, 2005 Thank you to the kind people who met us at Kuhnhenn for sharing a bottle of this wonderful hard to find beer. Amber on the pour with a white medium sized lasting head. Beautifully unfiltered with a heavy sediment presence. Aromas of sweet caramel and citrusy fruits. Flavors of caramel malt with nicely balance hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 22, 2006
Translucent and fiery amber-copper in color with a hairline, white doily wrung to serve as the head. Toffee, brandy, rummy figs and cardboard with hazelnut oils join golden raisins avec liquid nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar and aromatic almond liquor. Flavor keeps the momentum going. “Double mild” is right-on-the-money. Brown bread and caramel biscuits are mediated by subdued cinnamon and easy-going hazelnut sheafs. Toffee chews slowly melting and diffusing throughout the palatary playing field. Dulled butterscotch and caramel coated praline chews. Gentle carbonation and a touch of wax at the tongue’s tip. Palate smacking toffee properties and a gentle, supportive hop schedule aid the ever even end quotient. Toffee bars, praline pieces and smooth maple fudge manifest in the finish. HUGE thanks to Styles for the bottle!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
drfabulous (4062) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - AUG 23, 2006
My first Batch. The thing is, however, I am writing this from memory. So I probably will exaggerate. I don’t recall it as being as intense as 6000, but it was an incredible experience. I was new to Michigan beer, and this one blew me away with the hops and malts. Fantastic.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
northernbrews (25) - Allen Park, Michigan, USA - JUN 6, 2008
Had this as part of a Batch 4000 - Batch 8000 tasting 9/22/07. I received the bottle from tangfoot. Thanks alot Fred. Appearance: Pours a darkish orange with a slight haze. The 1/2 inch off white head fads slowly to leave some nice lacing. This looks awesome and has alot more carbonation than I expected. Aroma: Wow! Starts with some sweet orange and pineapple notes. There is a slight alcohol burn. As this warms, theres some raisons and dark fruit that creep in. Very nice. Flavor: Not quite as intense as the aroma, but this is pretty nice too. There is a slight tartness that I really enjoyed. Some of the pineapple and dark fruits leave a nice path to a dry finish. This is almost like a mild wild ale. Palate: This is pretty spritzy and the flavors hang around for a little bit. Pretty nice mouthfeel. Damn does this go down smooth. Its amazing how flavorful and balanced this is after all these years. It just goes down too easily. I could easily toss back a few of these, but I’m glad I’m just enjoying the little bit I had. I’m not too sure how old this is (I wish I knew when it was bottled), but it has aged vey well. It definitely exceded my expectations. This was my second favorite of the Batches from 4000 - 8000. Can’t wait til I can have this when we have our 4000 - 9000 tasting in a few years. If you ever see this, have a chance to try it, or have a chance to trade for it, you won’t be disappointed. Another awesome beer from Bell’s. I just I would have tried this fresh, but I suspect it is even better now. Thanks again Fred.