RATINGS: 238   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bell’s Batch 5000 Ale is a smoked strong ale, brewed to celebrate Kalamazoo Brewing Company’s 5000th batch. It is brewed with 26 % German, beechwood-smoked malt. It is very lightly hopped which showcases the rich caramel tones of the malt body that balances the assertive smoke flavor throughout. Batch 5000 would be a wonderful pairing for robust cheeses, sausages and smoked salmon. While drinkable now, Batch 5000 has an ageing potential of several years. The interplay of flavors will mature and develop subtly with time. Avoid any extreme temperatures, and keep at a cellar temperature below 65 °F. Single Batch Release - January, 2002 only.

Re-brewed for Bells 30th Anniversary in 2015

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Zach Diesel (906) - Sisters, Oregon, USA - MAR 17, 2002
Never seen so much sediment before. Benjamin may have said it best: ’Tastes like I’m drinking a tree, that’s been slightly barbequed.’ One was enough for me, gotta go with the consensus and agree that this is definately an acquired taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - MAR 9, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 11, 2003 After lots more smoked beers for comparison, I'd say this is too thick and hammerhead! Original: Even though I don't like it that much (pauliefrog99 says it's an acquired taste and I agree), it is clearly a well-crafted ale. Looks like a dark scottish ale; big, thick carbonation arising from the deepest caramel color you ever saw. Smoke aroma, and some sweetness. The flavor changes, yes, as it warms, to sweet, salt, smokiness, and something strangely burnt that has got the very tip of my tongue all tingled and I can't figure out why. A weird, strange brew that warms even weirder.

MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - MAR 9, 2002
Cold, the smokey flavor dominated. However, when warmer it starts with a nice fruity flavor (with a subtle bitterness) and finishes smokey. The smokeiness reminds me of Mezcal. Very thick, moderate head. Let it warm up.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
tourette (224) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAR 4, 2002
This is a yummy, chewy ale. Very thick and complex. I really like it, though it certainly gets better as it warms. Cold its alright, but at almost room temperature, its wonderful. Quite a bit of alcohol too, as one of these gave me a pretty good buzz.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
pauliefrog99 (302) - FLINT, Michigan, USA - FEB 22, 2002
Strong smoke smell and taste. It reminded me of smoked bacon. Thick syrupy texture. I picked up some salt. also. Strange. It gets better as it warms. An acquired taste for this one.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
SpecialBrew99 (57) - grand blanc, Michigan, USA - FEB 17, 2002
I was really looking forward to this, and I thought it was a dissapointment. Very think, I’m not sure it was even an Ale like it says on the bottle. Had a hint of carmel in it but the thickness of this was just to much for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
lizziesage (180) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - FEB 10, 2002
Bells Batch 5000 would make a wonderful dessert beer. This ale poured ruddy brown in colour and lacked signifigant carbonation. I found the style to be similar to scotch ales--having that sweet caramel, apple flavor. The body was thick and chewy. This beer ended with sustained smokiness, mild bitter, and alcoholic warmth. Very high end and interesting. Excellent craftsmanship.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Indra (2711) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - APR 10, 2001
Very interesting style. Deep dark red color, full-on aroma and taste. Very much like an Old Ale, or a cross between that and a barleywine. Fruity, complex. Good late fall/early spring beer. Extremely strong malty flavor.