Bells Batch 5000 Ale

overall
Formerly brewed at Bells Brewery
Style: Smoked
Galesburg, Michigan USA

RATINGS: 234   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.68   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bell's Batch 5000 Ale is a smoked strong ale, brewed to celebrate Kalamazoo Brewing Company's 5000th batch. It is brewed with 26 % German, beechwood-smoked malt. It is very lightly hopped which showcases the rich caramel tones of the malt body that balances the assertive smoke flavor throughout. Batch 5000 would be a wonderful pairing for robust cheeses, sausages and smoked salmon. While drinkable now, Batch 5000 has an ageing potential of several years. The interplay of flavors will mature and develop subtly with time. Avoid any extreme temperatures, and keep at a cellar temperature below 65 °F. Single Batch Release - January, 2002 only.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
yobdoog (1888) - Woodridge NY, New York, USA - APR 23, 2009
Aroma seems to have more smoke than the taste. Taste is smooth and sweet with just the right amount of bitternesss with the smoke. Nice smoke beer for me.

walleye (1066) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - MAR 22, 2009
I thought I should rate this since I have been drinking this for the last three years and am down to my last bottle that will be in a vertical tasting when the 9000 comes out. poured dark brown no head. aroma still has that wonderful smoke, malts, still get the caramel, and some hops. flavor This has just the right amount of smoke sort of like sitting around a campfire, dark fruits and malts did not get the hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jcr (2198) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - DEC 26, 2008
Bottle. This beer has stood up incredibly well for being almost seven years old. Cloudy orange-brown body with next to no head, but what is there is tan. The aroma is filled with leather, smoke, bacon and tart cherry. Hints of molasses, bread, barnyard and alcohol. The flavor is moderately sweet and lightly bitter. It finishes slightly sour/tart with some alcoholic warming. Thin to medium body, watery texture and little carbonation. Reading posts from 2002, many found this beer to be overly sweet and I did not see any mention funkiness. The overt sweetness is now muted and there is definitely a funky smell and taste that is accentuated by the smoke. Different and enjoyable. Thanks SpudClampDawg.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MrBunn (2456) - The Wet Side of a Dry Town, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 9, 2008
Bottle. Obviously, I am pretty excited about this. Not every day you get to try a 6 year old bottle of something special. I have been putting this off for a while, kind of like I did not want to ruin the occasion or have a big let down. A slight hiss as the cap is removed lets me know it has not gone completely bad and is a little reassuring. Bottle releases a cloudy brown liquid with very little head and sweet brown sugar and caramel aromas. A little bit of oxidation is noticeable and I hope it will not ruin things. I’m guessing this is a shadow of its former self after 6 years, but it still has a pretty good brown sugar and caramel malt presence with quite a bit of dark fruit to make it interesting. A little bit of tartness and a little bit of a salty smokiness are present, but seem to have faded. This is fairly reminiscent of an English barley wine in terms of flavor and texture, and considering how long this has aged it is a darn fine beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
pantanap (3353) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 6, 2008
12oz bottle from either Dukefan or Amorphiss -where are ya, kid?-..... pours a mostly opaque burnt caramel brown with a thin wispy light beige head that i wish would have lasted longer.... aroma of smoke and ash mostly and softer caramel malts .... flavors starts off on a salty note which i really havent tasted before and then the under-rooted caramel notes iintermingle fades, and then the smoke makes its way back in. lightly carbonated and perhaps could have used a little more body.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JMFG (1587) - Florida, USA - SEP 9, 2008
Courtesy SoLan. Hazy ruddy brown color, virtually no head. Very light smoke aroma, sweet caramel malts, mild signs of oxidation, but overall a nice aroma. Rich sweet caramel malts, mild smoke apparent, mild twang on the finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
SoLan (1550) - Florida, USA - AUG 24, 2008
Courtesy MI2CA. Brown. Small tan head. Nose of an old english barleywine with some smoke. Smells great. Same flavor. Great malt complexity with a healthy dose of smoke. Medium to medium/full body, balanced carbonation. Awesome brew, would have loved to try it fresh.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
bigbish (529) - California, USA - JUL 28, 2008
I wasn’t a fan of this beer when I tried it. It was my first smoked beer and it just reminded me of BBQ sauce.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
17thfloor (2430) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 7, 2008
[6 year old bottle, thank you Dukefan! ] I was quite disappointed that they didn’t stamp the batch number on the bottle! Anyways, pours a very murky dark orange/amber with a minimal head. Strong sweet smokey aroma with cherries and hickory bbq. Flavor follows suit, sweet and smokey, big malty rich caramelized applewood & hickory smoked bacon and lots of bitter cherry. Medium mouthful that is lightly syrupy yet still smooth and very palatable. Can we have this again please?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
northernbrews (25) - Allen Park, Michigan, USA - JUN 6, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 24, 2009 Had this as part of the tasting we had 9/22/07 of Batch 4000 - 8000. Received this gem from tangfoot. Thanks again Fred. Appearance: This pour a reddish brown with very little head. There is very little lacing on this, but it looks pretty good based on its age.. Aroma: Starts with some smokey and sweet malts. Kind of reminds me of breakfast sausage with maple syrup. In the background is some dark fruits. As this warms, there is a little sourness, which I enjoy. Flavor: There is mostly smokey notes in the beginning. When this warms, some of the sweet dark fruit flavors come to play. I wonder what this tasted like fresh. Palate: The smokey and sweet malt flavors hang around for a while. This is kind of thin, which I expected due to its age. This goes down pretty smooth, especially after it warms for a bit. I could drink a few of these, but I’m glad I’m getting to try any of this at all. Overall: This is very unique and interesting beer. Can’t think of any others I’ve had like it. I’m curious the age of this one too. This was my least favorite of the Batches 4000 - 8000, but its still pretty damn good and unique. If you see this or can try this, go for it, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. Thanks again Fred for this rare bottle.